Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Featured Crop Pics - Lets see your style!

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by hrd2gt, Apr 10, 2009.

1. bomary

bomary Hot Topics Subscriber

I did not have ear success, but...from what I've gathered after my failure, I think that the "shaking out of the posts" has everything to do with them not being far enough in the canal. I was so worried I would hurt my boy...I ended up hurting by leaving them to loose...allowing him to move them and scrape the inside of his ears. Also...once you get them down in there (when you think they're where they need to be, push a little farther), you have to pull that ear leather to bring them up as high as you can before you tape to the post.
    Please know that I am not a "know it all." As far as ears go...well...better luck next time for me!!
    Also...My sister's name is Bylee Jo (rarely see Jo spelled that way.)

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

It's makes it harder that he is shaking his head. He doesn't seem to like the feel of them or is not used to them. Or, sometimes, you just don't know what in the world an animal is going to do. Each dog is different. So:

I would make sure you're getting the posts seated down far enough into the ear. They say you can't hurt the inner workings of the ear by inserting a post too deeply because the ear takes a turn down there and the post bottoms out without touching ear drum or anything. I rotate the post slightly back and forth while pushing it down. I mean, use common sense and don't jam it down there unreasonably hard of course.

I know some people apply baby powder or some powder to the outside of the ears so the tape does not remove hair when removed. I haven't done that because I want the tape to stick to the outside of the ear. Yes, some hair is removed when the tape is taken off, and that's not ideal. I still wonder if the hair on my boy's ear bells is as thin as it is because of this; but I did it the way I did it because I did not use the backtaping method on the posts (except for the first several times). Which leads me to:

Backtaping. Are you doing this – where you run tape around the post sticky-side to post, then flip the tape to sticky side out? Or there is another way to wind up with the tape sticky side out. But at this point my question is: Are you backtaping to hold the posts in the ears? In addition:

Have you tried using adhesive? Many people use adhesive. I have not, as it seemed like too much work and too complicated with a squirmy puppy and me not having posted ears since ten years prior. But it's a very viable thing and there are instructions available in videos on this forum.

One last bit of information at this point: What I ran into a lot, especially toward the end of my posting stint with my current boy, is that the posts would become bent from him laying on them. When they became bent down toward the bottom half of the post, this would allow them to pop out much more easily. So, I was adding many layers of tape to the posts – both white, athletic-style tape (as it does not need to be breathable, I don't use the Zonas Pourous breathable stuff for wrapping the posts) and multiple layers of duct tape. All this wrapping was to add rigidity to the posts. Even so, he would still manage to bend them every time! This was never resolved, as thankfully, I was able to stop posting as this was happening. I stopped posting (it was about time anyway at about 7 months) because the posts were causing irritation in the ears – almost certainly because I was allowing the duct tape (black colored if that has anything to do with it) to be in direct contact with the ears.

Hope this helps!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I will add, for clarity and just so it doesn't happen to be misread, that the tape that is wrapped aroudn the posts does not need to be breathable; but of course the tape that is wrapped around the ear skin does need to be.

Also, I have heard of stuff called molefoam that can be applied to the bottom of the posts where they touch the ear and can reduce irritation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

What method are you using? If they're down in the canal all the way they shouldn't be able to get them out. That's usually the biggest cause and you don't have to worry about hurting them by pushing it way in there with the way the canal is shaped.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dobieloving

Dobieloving New Member

He is stunning. I LOVE his ears. He will be a head turner for sure and i think he already is.
    Elizabeth

6. Dobieloving

Dobieloving New Member

Beautiful job

7. alishafreeman17

alishafreeman17 Novitiate

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  8. MRSDCT22

MRSDCT22 Novitiate

My sweet Rhapsody dobie girl, Gentry.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  9. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Halley's ears at 4 mo. Darn horsefly got her :( but her ears are coming along.

5-3e.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  10. Cricket217

Cricket217 Novitiate

IMG_0066.JPG IMG_8182.JPG IMG_5266.jpg

We have here my big baby Ace. With a medium crop. We have Karma my spoiled little girl with a long show crop and Athena (Ace's gf ) with medium crops. Karmas ears are really long. This photo was when she was 5 months, she's now 7 months and she's growing into her ears a bit more so they don't look as big.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Max Hawk

Max Hawk Hot Topics Subscriber

Great looking furkids ya have there! :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Cricket217

Cricket217 Novitiate

Thank you !

13. LauraS

LauraS Member

We are obviously not done posting, but this is what we have so far. I asked for a medium show crop.. not sure that's what I ended up with.I'm so happy they are up at last!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  14. LauraS

LauraS Member

15. LauraS

LauraS Member

16. LauraS

LauraS Member

Cuties!

17. LauraS

LauraS Member

He's has an awesome build!

18. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

They do look a bit long right now but her face will grow into them. Kaiser has a medium crop too.

19. LauraS

LauraS Member

Would you say they do look like a medium crop then?

20. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Looks like a long crop to me. But she's still a pup. When her face is bigger they should look shorter. Here is K at 14 wks. Those ears looked so long to me.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1