Adorable designer mixes? Not for me...

I have a friend who breeds champion Corgi's and it's really making her sick with how many are breeding them (not hers) to make these "designer dogs". I don't blame her.
 
I have a friend that paid $2500 for a Labradoodle from a "breeder" argued with me until she was blue in the face that its a pedigree dog....
There was a news article not long ago re a woman who breeds cavilier king Charles spaniels. She had to take another woman to court as she bought 3 of her dogs, doctored the papers and was breeding "pugliers" and "cavoodles". Its good to see that atleast there was some legal avenue for that lady to follow.
 
I'm in the same situation with one of my nurses. Paid $2500 for a "rare" parti Goldendoodle complete with some "diamond contract" that states the "breeder" can use their dog at their discretion for future breeding. Gag! I have no trouble sharing my opinion with her on the subject.
 
I find it so interesting that people are so passionate in this matter. Think about it a moment. If everyone had the same opinions in the late 1800s our beloved Doberman might not exist today. The Doberman is a product of breeding a number of dogs, possibly Old Short Haired Shepherd, Rottweiler, Black and Tan Terrier and German Pinscher. Even the combination is questionable and many other breeds might have been involved. While mixing breeds might have had some unquestionable negative results the same can be said of pure blood breeding. You just have to examine today's English Bulldog to understand what I am saying. They can't even have natural birth anymore!

Is Designer Breeding that big of a deal. Fence jumpers have done it naturally for years.
 
I find it so interesting that people are so passionate in this matter. Think about it a moment. If everyone had the same opinions in the late 1800s our beloved Doberman might not exist today. The Doberman is a product of breeding a number of dogs, possibly Old Short Haired Shepherd, Rottweiler, Black and Tan Terrier and German Pinscher. Even the combination is questionable and many other breeds might have been involved. While mixing breeds might have had some unquestionable negative results the same can be said of pure blood breeding. You just have to examine today's English Bulldog to understand what I am saying. They can't even have natural birth anymore!

Is Designer Breeding that big of a deal. Fence jumpers have done it naturally for years.

The difference is breed for a purpose vs. breed for profit. Breed for a purpose takes in to consideration health and longevity. Breed for profit is just that, money in the pocket with no thought of the health or what they are creating. What is he purpose of these new dogs being created?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I think its just a trend some one had a breeding happen and the results became wanted by a few then more and now there charging top dollar to breed theses guys. I don't think the thought and special selection processes was there with half these dog s like the doberman . Louis Doberman took the time to research and study what dogs that were needed to produce the Doberman. Agility, alertness, temperament , color , body, markings ect to produce are dobermans today. Im no expert on the history of the doberman but am very happy they did and that it was excepted into akc. Just like now a day there still are breeds that are not recognized by akc. Mixed arn't for me I like knowing the temperament , breeding lines , Heath issue before i buy a dog. that's just me!!
 
I find it so interesting that people are so passionate in this matter. Think about it a moment. If everyone had the same opinions in the late 1800s our beloved Doberman might not exist today. The Doberman is a product of breeding a number of dogs, possibly Old Short Haired Shepherd, Rottweiler, Black and Tan Terrier and German Pinscher. Even the combination is questionable and many other breeds might have been involved. While mixing breeds might have had some unquestionable negative results the same can be said of pure blood breeding. You just have to examine today's English Bulldog to understand what I am saying. They can't even have natural birth anymore!

Is Designer Breeding that big of a deal. Fence jumpers have done it naturally for years.

The difference is breed for a purpose vs. breed for profit. Breed for a purpose takes in to consideration health and longevity. Breed for profit is just that, money in the pocket with no thought of the health or what they are creating. What is he purpose of these new dogs being created?

While I agree with the basic argument Clydes is stating, I would also agree with DG that the motivation today is $$$$, while in the Doberman past it was cross breeding for a very specific purpose. Breeding a working dog in order to fill a need and vision of an experienced owner/breeder is not the same as breeding a trophy designer dog to sit on the couch and make the owner feel special because they spent too much money on a crossbreed canine.
 
Breeding a working dog in order to fill a need and vision of an experienced owner/breeder is not the same as breeding a trophy designer dog to sit on the couch and make the owner feel special because they spent too much money on a crossbreed canine.
I agree. They're breeding these designers for the buck and the cuteness factor (in their opinion) and have no other purpose. Many argue that they started the Labradoodle thing for a hypoallergenic dog, but there is no such thing.
 
I find it so interesting that people are so passionate in this matter. Think about it a moment. If everyone had the same opinions in the late 1800s our beloved Doberman might not exist today. The Doberman is a product of breeding a number of dogs, possibly Old Short Haired Shepherd, Rottweiler, Black and Tan Terrier and German Pinscher. Even the combination is questionable and many other breeds might have been involved. While mixing breeds might have had some unquestionable negative results the same can be said of pure blood breeding. You just have to examine today's English Bulldog to understand what I am saying. They can't even have natural birth anymore!

Is Designer Breeding that big of a deal. Fence jumpers have done it naturally for years.
The Doberman was bred for a specific reason. Cross breeding in this aspect was scientific and was done to obtain a desired result. These "designer breeds" are only cross bred to make people money. It is not the same thing. Cross breeding done without a purpose goes against what breeders have been trying to achieve for decades. It is a complete insult to those who work hard to do it correctly.

Totally different when a dog "jumps a fence" and an accidental breeding occurs. They are two different things. In this aspect, even though the owners are completely irresponsible with their intact dogs it was not intentional and not done to make a buck off the dog.
 
I've thought about mixing a Doberman, a Collie and a Labrador Retriever so I could call it a Dobercolabra. :spit:

No, the first time I hear of an intentional Doberman mix I'm gonna lose it.
[DOUBLEPOST=1430942097][/DOUBLEPOST]No, wait. We need a Collie, a Labrador and a Dalmation.

Colabramation.
[DOUBLEPOST=1430942260][/DOUBLEPOST]Hello? Abracadabra Dobercolabras. Enter my yard, they'll reach out and grab ya. Puppies available by Christmas!
 
I've thought about mixing a Doberman, a Collie and a Labrador Retriever so I could call it a Dobercolabra. :spit:

No, the first time I hear of an intentional Doberman mix I'm gonna lose it.
[DOUBLEPOST=1430942097][/DOUBLEPOST]No, wait. We need a Collie, a Labrador and a Dalmation.

Colabramation.
[DOUBLEPOST=1430942260][/DOUBLEPOST]Hello? Abracadabra Dobercolabras. Enter my yard, they'll reach out and grab ya. Puppies available by Christmas!


Didn't know dogs would do a 3- way. Lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
The majority of dogs bred today are for pleasure, not as working dogs. Even among purists many people are breeding dogs for money.
While I picked the Doberman for known characteristics of the breed, I can understand people who are looking for something else.
Just to throw fuel on the fire.....:machinegun:

 
LOL, boy is that guy stereotyping the poor breeder who is out to make a buck. Just that stupid example of the one that's brain outgrows it's head is a good example of a bunch of bad rumors balled into one.
 
Sucker born every minute! A friend of mines fiancé went to the pet store and fell in love with a Boarder Collie/ Basset Hound Mix. They wanted $900 for the puppy! He talked them down to $250. Nice dog but very strange looking, they named him Goofy. But she was ready to drop the full $900 for a fence jumper. That was ten years ago before fence jumpers became Designer Dogs!
 

Back
Top