Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Adorable designer mixes? Not for me...

Discussion in 'Canine News/Informative Articles' started by JanS, Jan 30, 2015.

1. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I have a friend who breeds champion Corgi's and it's really making her sick with how many are breeding them (not hers) to make these "designer dogs". I don't blame her.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. MemphisBlue

MemphisBlue Member

I have a friend that paid $2500 for a Labradoodle from a "breeder" argued with me until she was blue in the face that its a pedigree dog....
    There was a news article not long ago re a woman who breeds cavilier king Charles spaniels. She had to take another woman to court as she bought 3 of her dogs, doctored the papers and was breeding "pugliers" and "cavoodles". Its good to see that atleast there was some legal avenue for that lady to follow.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm in the same situation with one of my nurses. Paid $2500 for a "rare" parti Goldendoodle complete with some "diamond contract" that states the "breeder" can use their dog at their discretion for future breeding. Gag! I have no trouble sharing my opinion with her on the subject.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Clydes

Clydes Member

I find it so interesting that people are so passionate in this matter. Think about it a moment. If everyone had the same opinions in the late 1800s our beloved Doberman might not exist today. The Doberman is a product of breeding a number of dogs, possibly Old Short Haired Shepherd, Rottweiler, Black and Tan Terrier and German Pinscher. Even the combination is questionable and many other breeds might have been involved. While mixing breeds might have had some unquestionable negative results the same can be said of pure blood breeding. You just have to examine today's English Bulldog to understand what I am saying. They can't even have natural birth anymore!

Is Designer Breeding that big of a deal. Fence jumpers have done it naturally for years.

5. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

The difference is breed for a purpose vs. breed for profit. Breed for a purpose takes in to consideration health and longevity. Breed for profit is just that, money in the pocket with no thought of the health or what they are creating. What is he purpose of these new dogs being created?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 7
  6. black

black Notable member

I think its just a trend some one had a breeding happen and the results became wanted by a few then more and now there charging top dollar to breed theses guys. I don't think the thought and special selection processes was there with half these dog s like the doberman . Louis Doberman took the time to research and study what dogs that were needed to produce the Doberman. Agility, alertness, temperament , color , body, markings ect to produce are dobermans today. Im no expert on the history of the doberman but am very happy they did and that it was excepted into akc. Just like now a day there still are breeds that are not recognized by akc. Mixed arn't for me I like knowing the temperament , breeding lines , Heath issue before i buy a dog. that's just me!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Dobie Wan Knobie

Dobie Wan Knobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

While I agree with the basic argument Clydes is stating, I would also agree with DG that the motivation today is $$$$, while in the Doberman past it was cross breeding for a very specific purpose. Breeding a working dog in order to fill a need and vision of an experienced owner/breeder is not the same as breeding a trophy designer dog to sit on the couch and make the owner feel special because they spent too much money on a crossbreed canine.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. JanS

I agree. They're breeding these designers for the buck and the cuteness factor (in their opinion) and have no other purpose. Many argue that they started the Labradoodle thing for a hypoallergenic dog, but there is no such thing.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Archer

The Doberman was bred for a specific reason. Cross breeding in this aspect was scientific and was done to obtain a desired result. These "designer breeds" are only cross bred to make people money. It is not the same thing. Cross breeding done without a purpose goes against what breeders have been trying to achieve for decades. It is a complete insult to those who work hard to do it correctly.

Totally different when a dog "jumps a fence" and an accidental breeding occurs. They are two different things. In this aspect, even though the owners are completely irresponsible with their intact dogs it was not intentional and not done to make a buck off the dog.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I've thought about mixing a Doberman, a Collie and a Labrador Retriever so I could call it a Dobercolabra. :spit:

No, the first time I hear of an intentional Doberman mix I'm gonna lose it.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1430942097][/DOUBLEPOST]No, wait. We need a Collie, a Labrador and a Dalmation.

Colabramation.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1430942260][/DOUBLEPOST]Hello? Abracadabra Dobercolabras. Enter my yard, they'll reach out and grab ya. Puppies available by Christmas!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Didn't know dogs would do a 3- way. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 5
  12. Clydes

Clydes Member

The majority of dogs bred today are for pleasure, not as working dogs. Even among purists many people are breeding dogs for money.
    While I picked the Doberman for known characteristics of the breed, I can understand people who are looking for something else.
    Just to throw fuel on the fire.....:machinegun:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. JanS

LOL, boy is that guy stereotyping the poor breeder who is out to make a buck. Just that stupid example of the one that's brain outgrows it's head is a good example of a bunch of bad rumors balled into one.

14. Clydes

Clydes Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. JanS

I just came across this one on FB... Ugh...
    Mutt pups.jpg

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. black

black Notable member

Wow look at the price there asking.. Just ridiculous..

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Dobie Wan Knobie

Dobie Wan Knobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

"There is a sucker born every minute". Why else would anyone pay that for a crazy mix like that?.....Insane!

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

:groan::facepalm:
    And, " No testing have been done. No need on these healthy bitches." OMG, really??
    You got that right!:green:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Archer

To me, that's just someone who is trying to make themselves look better. You can probably say stupidity is peppered a little in there too

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Clydes

Clydes Member

Sucker born every minute! A friend of mines fiancé went to the pet store and fell in love with a Boarder Collie/ Basset Hound Mix. They wanted $900 for the puppy! He talked them down to $250. Nice dog but very strange looking, they named him Goofy. But she was ready to drop the full $900 for a fence jumper. That was ten years ago before fence jumpers became Designer Dogs!