Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Taping natural ears

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by zaxayo, Sep 13, 2009.

1. feisty_jen

feisty_jen Notable member

I taped sofia a few times because she had one ear that wanted to fly away on us. her's turned out great. I'm thankful to coming across this post.

• Like Like x 2
  2. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I don't think it looks bad, but if it just started doing this it might progress. I agree, if it isn't something you like, it sure can't hurt to tape it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MischasMomma

MischasMomma Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Thanks. It bothers me... My fiance is more "that's just who she is" and isn't as concerned with it. I'll try to get a more recent pic, see if it looks any worse now, a month after it started.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

4. TheDoctor'sMom

TheDoctor'sMom Hot Topics Subscriber

I keep a vigilant watch on The Doctor's ears, because I know just how concerned he is himself about how his ears look. ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  5. JackieLund

JackieLund Jr Member

I had no idea Doberman ears had to be taped down in order to lay flat. Learn something new every day.

6. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Natural ears don't always need to be taped. I didn't even know it was done when Hans was at the right age for taping, but his ears were naturally close to his face. I'd have been bummed if he had "flying nun" ears or asymmetrical ears and I found out later that it could have been corrected so easily.
    I do hesitate to mention the set of other puppy's ears. Some people think ears that don't lay close to the cheek are adorable. But maybe I should mention it more often since there is so little awareness of the possibility of correcting the "problem" and bringing the ears closer to the FCI standard for Doberman ears.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I sometimes do, I sometimes don't....for the reasons you stated. The best you can do is kindly inform "did you know you can..." and hope they understand you are simply trying to educate and inform, not judge. :) As with anything in life...we can only hope that the person on the receiving end doesn't take it the wrong way, and if they do, you can kindly explain and if they still are upset well... ??? *shrugs* C'est la vie!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

It seems to me that if you choose to not crop a Doberman, you should just let them do what they want. Flying Nun, Walking Nun, Flying Librarian – I do not care. The thought of taping DOWN Doberman ears is pretty darn backward to me. Before you write it: Yes, I understand the position of the other side. I just do not agree with it.

9. Ingrid H

Is your understanding of my position that wonky ears look silly? If so, you are correct. :rofl:

10. Oh Little Oji

Ha. Well, yes, I guess you could say that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ingrid H

Then taping the ears down gives an uncropped dog the most dignified look he can have in the absence of cropping. How can that be backward? It's all about cosmetics whether it is taping the ears up or down.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Oh Little Oji

You had to go and apply logic, didn't you? I was just writing from a place of emotion. Gotta do it every once in a while :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Oh Little Oji

Allright, I've got a little free time now, and I'll bite:

When I wrote that taping Doberman ears down seems backward to me, perhaps what I should have written was it "feels" backward to me. When I see Dobe's ears that are sticking out to the side, it seems to me that they are ears that would be prone to standing if they were cropped. Yes, I've heard that it doesn't mean that, and rather that it means they have just been slept on in a certain way too long, or something like that. I'm not sure if I buy that, buy hey, I never claimed to be an expert. So, being someone who is very pro-crop, I do find it to feel backward to tape Doberman ears down.

Your question equates providing the Dobe with a dignified look with not being backward. I didn't say anything about a dignified look. It's been my impression that Dobermans over the years have been bred, among many other things obviously, to have ears that will successfully stand. When they do then seem to want to stand, the act of taping them down feels like a shame; but I understand that they've already been left uncropped so at that point it's moot.

When I see bully breeds with ears that are partially standing, I appreciate it, and think it looks nice. When I see Dobermans running or playing and their (sometimes sizable) uncropped ears – whether they had been taped down or not – are flopping up and down and all around it does not look very dignified to me. So I say if you do not crop, let them be to do what they will.

You allude to the position that cropping is solely cosmetic – a position with which I disagree.

Overall, my comments meant that I am pro-crop and if you choose to not crop, instead choosing to let the ears be "natural", then leave them be and let them do what they will naturally do. It was somewhat flippant of me, I admit. I appreciate your reasoned response and welcome more discussion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Oh Little Oji

I'd say from post number 154 on.

• Like Like x 1
  15. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I guess that's what I did. ;)

16. TheDoctor'sMom

We did take a major derailment.

17. Oh Little Oji

Yeah, it went from how to tape natural ears, to should you tape natural ears (thanks to me:bag:) , to is cropping purely cosmetic. I think the last topic there, though, is pretty darn pertinent, and I thank Jan and the Mods for moving it to a new thread. You're awesome!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. TheDoctor'sMom

I will say, and this does for this thread, that I would have taped Doctor's ears had they even hinted at flying. Him having floppy ears was not our first choice or preference, but because he does have them I'll be darned if he is going to look like a fool! He already looks goofy enough with them hanging down, no need to have them sticking out to the side too

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. HarperTheHopper

HarperTheHopper New Member

So glad I googled "Doberman flying nun ears" because it led me straight to this forum. I google EVERYTHING and when my girl went from perfectly flopped to wonky and sideways literally over night, I figured something was up. I was fascinated to learn from you all that this happens during teething. My breeder never mentioned anything about it to me (or much of anything for that matter, she doesn't even get back to me when I have a question about her health...that's a whole other can of worms) so I'm glad I researched it within the "time frame" of fixing it :). You guys are awesome! I taped for 24 hours and it was better for a while but then her right ear went haywire again. So I have her taped now for the third day. Going to give it another 24 hours or so but they look good.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  20. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

:welcome::welcome::welcome:

• Like Like x 1