Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Taping natural ears

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by zaxayo, Sep 13, 2009.

1. zaxayo

zaxayo Active Member

This is the way we do it here, we use tape and a tie-rep don't know the english word, but as you see it you know what I mean, the methode we use you don't have to take of the tape everytime only change the tie-rep.

Here we go Xasper is the model for it I have done it 3 times and then he was ready

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

to be continued:sonn_u11:

• Like Like x 6
  2. zaxayo

zaxayo Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is it, if you have questions let me know, thanks to the owners of Russkaja Mechta kennel who did the taping so I could make the pictures!

• Like Like x 10
  3. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

Thanks elly, i think that will help all the natural ear dobe owners :), we should make it to a sticky, VON ;)

4. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Yes, we'll definitely make it a sticky.

Great info - thanks for posting zaxayo!

5. hrd2gt

hrd2gt Well-Known Member

poor dobies just cant win, LOL

• Like Like x 2
  6. MLR

MLR Novitiate

I was thinking the same thing hrd. We either cut them and post them or now this method. :( It's called a zip tye here in America, Zaxayo. :)

7. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Ha! I just left a couple of post on the Flying Nun thread- one to you Mary Lou that this is where the pictures were, and one about the american word for zip-ties.:D

One little thing I noticed in the picture of the finished tape job (the picture taken under the chin of the puppy) was that the end of the zip-tie that was cut off looked a bit sharp like it could scratch the puppy's neck and irritate the skin. Maybe a little piece of tape around that or a quick filing would be a good thing.

8. MomToMany

MomToMany Member

So... my girl's ears will be left natural. Is there a right/wrong time to start this? Is it best used as a fix or as a preventive measure? It's definitely something I'll be doing, because I've seen some of the crazy natural ears on the 'net! LOL

9. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

if you see your girls ears might getting crazy ,then use this method :D
    most of the time they start to get hose ears when they start teething, then its the best time to tape them down.

10. MaddoxDobes

MaddoxDobes Member

Very interesting!! I like that natural method!

11. Ingrid H

I didn't even know that natural ears could be taped until I read this thread. Lucked out with Hans' natural ears- they look nice to me! But if your girl's ears start doing the airplane thing or going up, I'd definitely think about taping while her cartilage is still not set in stone.

12. MarkoV

MarkoV New Member

How long is it nessesery to tie the ears down before they can be straiten?

13. Ingrid H

I'm not sure, but with cropped ears, people often post ears until teething is just complete. So you may be looking at up until 5 to 6 months of age.
    Here is a thread about feeding gelatin powder to make ears stay put: Knox Gelatin Powder for ears - Doberman Chat Forum
    I do not know if you can get Knox in your country, but it is just a plain gelatin powder without flavorings or sugar like you would find in Jello.

14. MarkoV

MarkoV New Member

The taping worked great, strait ears in 24 hours. Thanks so much...

15. Ingrid H

Amazing... Absolutely amazing...
    For those of you who are not familiar with little Mita and Marko's ear story, here is a link to a thread with pictures of Mita before and after taping: Mita from Croatia - Doberman Chat Forum

16. MomToMany

MomToMany Member

Really, just 24 hours?? Strange, for some reason I figured it would be a couple weeks or so, I guess since taping a crop takes so long. So I'm guessing since Riley's ears are still doing fine, I'll likely be okay? I mean, at 18 weeks, I would think they're pretty much set now anyway. Hers look good to me.

Marko- glad this worked so well for you! We're not opposed to pics, ya know. ;) :p

17. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

i'm not sure if they really be ok by now, since the teething will take a lot out of a puppy and thats the time, where ears are flopping again and natural ears might get crazy again. taping is the same like posting, just in the oposit direction, but both has something to do with the cartilage, so Marko probably isn't really finish yet and the ears could go back to the funny nun ears ;)

18. zaxayo

zaxayo Active Member

What I did, is tape it, leave it for 5 days, take it of, and see how they are, if they are not the way you want it tape them again, after 2 days, again 5 days, mostly when teething is done the ears are ok, that is why this methode works so well with the tie rep, you can tape them whenever you want, if you have more questions let me know, I don't post often but I read most of it :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. gsxrsmommy

gsxrsmommy New Member

i have never herd of this, what is the purpose of taping natural ears like this?

20. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

that the ears lay nice on the head and don't get the silly nun ear thing going on. Natural ears should hang down nicely, not staying up ;)

• Like Like x 2