Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Taping natural ears

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by zaxayo, Sep 13, 2009.

1. mckennak

mckennak New Member

It worked! Here's a quick picture. I just removed the tape for a couple minutes so that I could redo them and they already look a million times better. Thanks for your help, everyone!

photo 1.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  2. Caloni

Caloni Active Member

That is how I hope for my boy's ears to look one day. I have been taping them for 2 weeks and they still look like the "airplane ears". Hormones and teething can play into the ears flying out. But with my boy I originally taped them up in the hopes to have them cropped, then we were unable to have that done due to him getting sick and still recovering. So now I am having to break the cartilage I built up from posting them for 4 weeks. I assume it will take just as long to tape them down as it did to tape them up. But you also have to watch ear infections like you do with any posting method. Clean them good every 3-5 days and allow them to dry overnight.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Caloni

Caloni Active Member

Can you please post a pic of how you taped them? I am having a really hard time keeping any sort of tape on the ears for more than a day or so even with the cone on.

4. mckennak

mckennak New Member

I don't have a picture, but I taped them almost exactly like the reference pictures on page 1. I just taped a little bit higher up on the ear, and placed 2 pieces of tape on the top side, so it looked like a V. Also, we're using waterproof medical tape. Good luck!

5. Caloni

Caloni Active Member

Here goes our attempt at uploading some pics of our adventure in posting Luca's ears.

1. His ears when he came home.
    2. His first pre posting before they were cropped.
    3. The first day after removing the posts - Ears still not cropped.
    4. Posted the ears for 4 weeks, Luca got sick so we missed the opportunity to get them cropped....and taped them down. This is the pic after 2 sessions of taping natural ears (5 days a session).
    5. 2 weeks later we are back to flying nun ears....we are taping them down again.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  6. mckennak

mckennak New Member

Aww, he's so handsome, even with the flying nun ears!

• Like Like x 1
  7. DreamValley

DreamValley Well-Known Member

Don't get upset if his ears fly again. Puppy ears are a bit crazy :) If it happens repeat taping for 5 days. It will work.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DreamValley

Please open a new thread with your questions. You will get more information.
    Jan can you please move it?

9. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Yes I can separate them out, and in fact I was thinking about doing just that. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Katja Henriksen

Katja Henriksen Forum Sponsor Site Sponsor

If your dogs ears are 'flying' now, it may also have to do with you taping them UP, which doesn't make any sense to me, why you would do that when they are not cropped.
    If his ear leather is fairly thick they should have no trouble hanging naturally as they should. If his ear leather is thin they have a tendency to fly and taping them DOWN may help.

11. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I don't understand the whole pre-crop posting thing. Maybe it helps, but the ears are so easy to shape at that age that it hardly seems necessary before surgery. But don't worry! You can still get nice close laying ears with taping. Luca isn't too old for it to work yet.

12. Chelsi7911

Chelsi7911 Member

Was it really necessary to move all of my comments from this thread to somewhere else?

13. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chelsi7911

Chelsi7911 Member

15. Caloni

Caloni Active Member

he's 7 months old now, and they lay flat when he isn't acting like a total goof. Most of the time he has them plasterd back like a greyhound. That's when you know he is going to bold out of a down stay after a ball...grrrr.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DreamValley

Do you have a picture?

17. abbiefr-rams

abbiefr-rams New Member

I had never heard of this either, does anyone have a picture of their dog that has natural-natural ears and anyone else a picture of their dog that has previously-taped-natural ears? How tightly do they need to be taped down, for how long, and are they generally provided (or need) a pain killer? I just love floppy ears!

18. Marinegeekswife

Marinegeekswife Hot Topics Subscriber

I have only dealt with cropped ears so I'm just speaking from what I've read here. They only need to be taped tight enough to hold the ears down. I believe it only needs to be done for a couple weeks usually but it depends on when you start taping down and how bad the ears want to perk up. There should be no need for a pain killer as there is no pain involved.

19. MischasMomma

MischasMomma Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

[​IMG][​IMG]

Is here ear popping up enough to start taping? This just started a few days ago... She's just about 7 months old. I was taping to make them lay smoother but my vet said they looked great and not to worry about the hassle, now this started.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  20. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

In my opinion if you don't like it then tape it. I only listen to vets advice on health as for looks that's your preference :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1