Ripley Show Thread

And now I have to thank you for that link... all the posts are long and detailed and then I have to read all the comments... I don't even care for conformation that much, but the genetic stuff hooks me, then the confo stuff I have to read and study the photos... jeez, I didn't need another site that takes up so much time. But yes, thank you for that link, I'm big on learning. :rofl:
You're welcome, I knew it would be up your alley 😁. It is SO much knowledge coming from an old timer. And not just conformation! But yes, genetics! structure, physiology, education and the people and the future of our breed. She's been in the breed since she was a teen. She mentioned doing something like this to me over the summer and I'm so glad she is. A book would be wonderful, I think there are talks about it...

Some background...from her bio on the DPCA website:

Theresa Mullen has been devoted to the serious breeding and exhibiting of Dobermans since 1967, when, as a teen, her parents bought a young Champion sired bitch. Since then, she has diligently studied the breed and has many accomplishments.

After High School, she attended Michigan State University, majoring in Dairy Science/Endocrinology and Animal Husbandry, with an eye on a career in Large Animal Management. She studied Anatomy & Physiology and Genetics extensively.

In 1970 and 1971, she was honored with her selection to represent M.S.U. on their Inter-Collegiate Livestock Judging Team. She traveled the Country representing M.S.U., excelling in her ability to judge all species of livestock. She was also selected to be a member of the M.S.U. Quarter Horse Judging Team, competing at the All American Quarter Horse Congress in Columbus, Ohio. There, she helped win over more than thirty Universities and Colleges. Theresa has judged all breeds of beef and dairy cattle; sheep and hogs. She has also been active as a 4-H Judge in these venues.

Theresa’s success and experience as a Livestock Judge, working with many Standards, has extended itself to her understanding of the Doberman Standard and it’s application to the live dog and selection of breeding stock.

Before her involvement in the “Dog Sport”, Theresa was initially captivated by the “Equine Sport”. Her parents bred and raced Standardbred harness horses. She helped train, groom and condition the family’s horses, as well as worked with several top Drivers and Trainers at Michigan Racetracks.

While in college, Theresa continued her interest in showing and breeding
Dobermans. She purchased her first foundation bitch in 1972, a Ch. Thorvald Vom Ahrtal daughter. Through this bitch and her descendants, Theresa, along with her sister Judy Mullen, has bred/owned a continuous line of * Eight Generations * of Champions and Champion Producers—up to the present day.

Theresa’s Dobermans include many DPCA Top Twenty dogs; Best In Show winners; Best in Specialty Show winners; DPCA Superior Quality Specimen’s; DPCA Stud Dog winners; many DPCA Class winners as well as Obedience titled Dobermans. She has bred many Champions from a very limited and select number of breedings—proving you can breed the very highest calibre of Dobermans without having to breed large quantity.

Theresa’s philosophy on breeding Dobermans revolves around the “Strength of the Family” both Sire Line and Maternal Family, and its strong influence on an animals ability to successfully reproduce itself.

Theresa is a DPCA member and currently is Coordinator of it’s Public Education Committee. She is also a DPC of Michigan member and with her sister/partner Judy Mullen, breeds under the prefix of “Terrylane”.

Derek and Ripley had a huge and successful weekend last weekend. In Crown Point, IN they picked up 4 pts and 50 OH points!

Saturday, Ripley went Winner's Bitch, Best of Breed Owner Handled, and Group 2 in Owner Handled out of 11 breeds.

Then Sunday Ripley went WB, Best of Winners (their first time), Best of Breed Owner Handled, and another Group 2 Owner Handled working group out of 12 breeds!

So many firsts; their first time winning BOW, first BOBOH, first OH group, first placement in OH group.
Ripley is now singled out with 9 pts!! She just needs her two 3pt majors to finish her CH! Did not expect her to finish her singles so early in the year for us.

We know majors can be just as difficult but being successful both days out of a weekend is way more than one could have ever asked for. She had to be pointed at by many more judges this way... I know many that chase singles just as much as those majors. They have a 5 day show over memorial day weekend which usually lands majors every day so hopefully we can pick up at least one! Either way I'm so proud of them both. Derek (and me as their coach!) worked really hard for this and we are tickled that he finished her singles and earned the majority of her singles as an OH.

WB and BOBOH first day (btw it was 82 and HOT Saturday, then below 40 and raining sleet Sunday...)
original_6b5626b6-517b-483f-bcf5-de7814274d99_PXL_20230415_172234492.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Freestack in OH Group after their go around
PXL_20230415_205455453~2.jpg
PXL_20230415_210901836.jpg

OHG2 first day!
PXL_20230415_210955284.jpg

After winning WB/BOW/BOBOH second day, waiting on groups
PXL_20230416_174732776.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Sucky ball for job well done!
original_b30f9b8d-1259-4aa7-810c-551f52de0aed_PXL_20230416_175533314.jpg

Down and Back OHGroup
PXL_20230416_221727935.jpg
PXL_20230416_221734341.jpgPXL_20230416_221740221.jpg

A hair understacked in the rear but still beautifully presented.
PXL_20230416_221258114.jpg

"Wheres the treat for doing my trick, Dad? Treat goes here"

Freestack
PXL_20230416_221856688.jpg

PXL_20230416_225144830.PORTRAIT.jpg

A year ago, RWB to the major, same show!22-4-16 RWB to Major_Crown Point_.png

23-4-15 WB_Crown Point.jpg
23-4-16 BOWWB_Crown Point.jpg

My fav pic of her over the weekend
23-4-16 OHG2_Crown Point.jpg

Team Ripley is rocking my socks off! Y'all got this! Those photos are gorgeous! I'm going to have to back up on this thread where you explained all the points systems to see what you have to do to get that CH now. You guys have worked your buns off - Ripley is going get that CH!

@Rits I gotta ask: What is the breed of the black hairy dog in the lineup video (brick building) 3 dogs behind Ripley? I usually know my breeds, but all I could think of is a Newfoundland, but it doesn't look like the ones I've known...

Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 6.09.37 AM.png

Ah, maybe puppy - that makes sense.
Yea that wouldn't surprise me if its a puppy from the puppy classes. Some of the less competitive breeds don't have too much competition and even less OH. Some people/breeds automatically win BOBOH if there is only 1 OH. Dobes it is unlikely, even with so many pros in the ring, there's always seems to be at least a handful of OH competing.

She looks very fit and my guess is she loves it!?!
Oh she absolutely does! What dog wouldn't love getting fed smoked chicken, cheese, and sometimes liver 🥴, for "standing around". To be honest, she knows what her job is soon as they go into the ring, she's in focus mode. Just love to see her gait so effortlessly with her ears pricked forward like she's on some kind of mission, lol. Once she free stacks he has a hard time breaking her from it. Couple times I saw him tug on her leash and she's like "No" 😂 Have to tell her "Break!" to get her to move.

Impressive! :congrats:

They have Malamutes and Huskys in this group in AKC? It's the northern group in UKC.

Ahhh!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!! You guys are out there killing it!!! Any shows in the Chicago area, in the future? I'm actually only am hour away from Crown Point! I should try and make it to one of your shows

Oh she absolutely does! What dog wouldn't love getting fed smoked chicken, cheese, and sometimes liver 🥴, for "standing around". To be honest, she knows what her job is soon as they go into the ring, she's in focus mode. Just love to see her gait so effortlessly with her ears pricked forward like she's on some kind of mission, lol. Once she free stacks he has a hard time breaking her from it. Couple times I saw him tug on her leash and she's like "No" 😂 Have to tell her "Break!" to get her to move.
Awesome!

Derek and Ripley had a huge and successful weekend last weekend. In Crown Point, IN they picked up 4 pts and 50 OH points!

Saturday, Ripley went Winner's Bitch, Best of Breed Owner Handled, and Group 2 in Owner Handled out of 11 breeds.

Then Sunday Ripley went WB, Best of Winners (their first time), Best of Breed Owner Handled, and another Group 2 Owner Handled working group out of 12 breeds!

So many firsts; their first time winning BOW, first BOBOH, first OH group, first placement in OH group.
Ripley is now singled out with 9 pts!! She just needs her two 3pt majors to finish her CH! Did not expect her to finish her singles so early in the year for us.

We know majors can be just as difficult but being successful both days out of a weekend is way more than one could have ever asked for. She had to be pointed at by many more judges this way... I know many that chase singles just as much as those majors. They have a 5 day show over memorial day weekend which usually lands majors every day so hopefully we can pick up at least one! Either way I'm so proud of them both. Derek (and me as their coach!) worked really hard for this and we are tickled that he finished her singles and earned the majority of her singles as an OH.

WB and BOBOH first day (btw it was 82 and HOT Saturday, then below 40 and raining sleet Sunday...)
View attachment 133981

Freestack in OH Group after their go around
View attachment 133982
View attachment 133980

OHG2 first day!
View attachment 133979

After winning WB/BOW/BOBOH second day, waiting on groups
View attachment 133978

Sucky ball for job well done!
View attachment 133977

Down and Back OHGroup
View attachment 133975
View attachment 133983View attachment 133974

A hair understacked in the rear but still beautifully presented.
View attachment 133976

"Wheres the treat for doing my trick, Dad? Treat goes here"

Freestack
View attachment 133973

View attachment 133972

A year ago, RWB to the major, same show!View attachment 133968

View attachment 133969
View attachment 133970

My fav pic of her over the weekend
View attachment 133971
Congratulations, what a huge accomplishment for you guys!

Back