Ripley Show Thread

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
Decided to make one big thread for Ripleys following instead of flooding the board with new threads.

Two Group 2s today for these two out of the Guardian group at the Echo Club UKC show in Buchanan, MI. We just went to one day but had a lot of fun since almost all of our Conformation class friends were there so we got to cheer each other on. Ripley amongst all the herding dogs haha. Her BFF McClane the Border collie got best in show yesterday!

received_531651281156052.jpeg

PXL_20210502_210914122.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20210502_210919118.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20210502_173241908_exported_57359.jpg

JanS

DCF Owner
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
They look fantastic as usual. Those are some great photos of her and Derrick too.

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
Third weekend in a row of shows, whew. Rip and Derek took 2 BOBs against competition (yay!) and 2 Group 3s today at Trail Creek UKC show in Laporte, IN.

Ripley is still sooo much a puppy but shes happy and having dang fun while showing and you can't train that into them like one of our friends who's been showing much longer reminds us. I enjoy seeing these two learn from every show and getting better and better as a team, however long and bumpy the ride may be lol. 😊 She allowed a male judge to HOLD her head in his hands while he stooped over her and felt her face fill and head planes. Talk about HUGE for Ripley! She held her stack like a statue! Did great for the exam after that, then melted a bit when he touched her rear 🤣 That's ok though, Derek caught a tip to help her quickly compose herself if she ever does that again, with a gentle foot between the rear feet and she will pop back up. Glad that Ripley is doing these things so they can learn to be better!

First line up in the ring. Ripley free stacks and is laser focused for that bait.
Screenshot_20210508-163440~2.png

They've started working on teaching her to not rush from point A to B with an "easy" cue. Ripley already knows where to go and wants to get there FaSt for that treat lol. When she slows down her head comes up and looks better than leaning into the collar and pulling Derek along.
Screenshot_20210508-163735~2.png

Final line up before placements; time for that classic doberman look.
Screenshot_20210508-165157.png

Group 3! There was a really nice Giant Schnauzer and the Dane placed second. Happy with their performance today! Ripley still has maturing to do that will come along with her second heat and mental maturity with experience 😌
PXL_20210508_195742197.jpg

Here's to tomorrow!
PXL_20210508_195112241.PORTRAIT.jpg

After showing tomorrow they will take a little break from showing while Ripley and I try out Barn Hunt next weekend!

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
Really proud of them today! Not much feedback needed to give them today and I call that a great day!

Last show brag post for a few weeks, I promise. 😌 We are looking forward to a few weeks off of showing! These make for long days, especially when it's cold and raining... It was even snowing this morning... 😱

Ripley and Derek earned a Group ONE today under judge Elizabeth Burgess in a nice sized class of 6 guardian breeds and over 2 grand champions and 1 champion. We really appreciated the time the judge spent on checking fronts and rears and what a honor to be pulled out of the line first after a hard time deciding.

Thanks for the cheers everyone! I enjoy sharing this side of showing Dobes with y'all as much as I can. I know mistakes, videos, and talk about the whole thing isn't shared much so we're happy to have others learn alongside us in a way 😊

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
I'm really enjoying the videos - AND learning what it takes to do this! You know me, I love sports, but still think it'd be fun to try this. UKC has different titles for groups? Guardian instead of working? Seriously, Ripley has impeccable show manners & a beautiful stack. So proud of you all!!!

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
UKC has different titles for groups? Guardian instead of working?

Yes, they are in the Guardian breed group in UKC instead of Working like AKC. They offer the same CH, GR CH titles but slightly different ways of acquiring them. If you have enough competition the CH title doesn't take too long to achieve with a nice dog. But if you don't have others there in your breed it takes longer as you have to earn your wins by beating out others in Group or Best in Show which typically are Grand Champion dogs. Grand Champion is much more difficult to achieve the legs for than Champion. Beyond GR CH you go for the gem titles which are newer and a way for people to continue to compete and honor their dog with increasing requirements for earning legs. Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire and Diamond Grand Champion.

Screenshot_20210510-113401.png
Screenshot_20210510-113435.pngScreenshot_20210510-113501.png

You know me, I love sports, but still think it'd be fun to try this.

You should try it out if a show comes near you! UKC is much more open and friendly to newbies. The people competing are helpful, the judges are forgiving of new dogs and puppies. They all try to make it a positive experience and will wait if there's a conflict (more on that below). It's a great bonding experience working with your dog and your dog gets accustomed to the distracting show environment; people, dogs, kids, noises. UKC also accept many breeds that AKC does not, many are working breeds with purpose. Lots of interesting rare breeds you will come across.

Seriously, Ripley has impeccable show manners & a beautiful stack.

That's funny you say that about Ripley's manners. We were both agreeing that after literally 3 months of back to back conformation practice every week, we think she finally understands her job. She takes it very seriously but sometimes adds in her own little spice lol. She's been such a good girl to learn with and has helped us meet many new like minded friends.

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
and will wait if there's a conflict (more on that below).

Oh btw, we locked ourselves out of the car AND Ripley comfortably in it. My husband's keys wallet and phone were locked away in the glovebox and something pressed on the key fob and locked the car, literally 20ish minutes before Best in Show. The herding group is always huge and they were the last group before BIS, with a huge White Shepherd group. So Ripley was put away about 90 minutes prior to sleep. The group was judged and we both went to get Ripley ready for BIS. Wait, doors are locked??! Even better was if it was as nice of a day like it was as the day before, the trunk would have been left open for airflow but no it was 35 and raining all day, of course LOL. Called the locksmith and notified the show club, they said they would wait for us no problem. Guy said 15 minutes got here in 5...and he doesn't charge for pets or people locked in cars. Wow!! We thanked him over and over and they had 3 minutes to warm up. Ripley did awesome considering! Lesson learned. Give ME the keys or get me a spare lol!!

Kaiser2016

We were both agreeing that after literally 3 months of back to back conformation practice every week, we think she finally understands her job. She takes it very seriously but sometimes adds in her own little spice lol
She does seem like she figured out what is going on/expected and follows through naturally. Especially stopping in a full stack like 'that's just how I stand no matter what' haha. Too bad the Rott did not do very well - seemed to want to sit at several points. I was surprised the Great Dane didn't get further with his little handler.
Lesson learned. Give ME the keys or get me a spare lol!!
That would be a scary situation! I like the idea of each of you keeping keys. We had that a few times where I'd put Kaiser away so my hb could get the feedback, but then for the next round, he'd go out to get K but I'd still have the keys :wacky: It took a while for us to find a flow that worked.

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
I was surprised the Great Dane didn't get further with his little handler.
Don't worry, the Dane is a Grand Champion and took first in one of the other shows under a different judge, he placed fourth this show. The junior handling him was too funny. The owner of the Dane announced she was looking for someone to handle her dane and he came up and asked "Can I do it???" she was like "Ummm...sure..." and he did great. Thankfully the Dane is well mannered because I'm pretty sure he weighs twice his handlers weight. Juniors get so many opportunities to learn to handle others dogs and many different breeds. The Giant Schnauzer was really nice and impressive!

The rotties and the boerbel were in general... really out of control throughout the day; shutting down and collapsing on the floor, lunging at dogs coming in, scrambling around and feeding bad energy... Don't think they get out much. They needed a lot more training and socialization beyond show experience before coming to a show. A few times juniors handled them earlier in the day and it just made my friend and I nervous. A child handling an untrained guardian breed with poor socialization. No way a child could handle them and one wrong experience could cause major damage. I made sure to keep Ripley away from them because she's already excited being a young dog and she doesn't need to feed off that bad energy. Keeping her away from them and she was a good girl. She got stuck with one right behind them a few times in group and I'm shocked how well she did with that right behind her. She did even better when she was able to be first in the line up so if the judge doesn't ask for size and speed, they forced their way to the front. ;)

Especially stopping in a full stack like 'that's just how I stand no matter what' haha.
She does it at home too. When we're making meals for ourselves she will stare at us and park herself or kick her leg back to put herself in a perfect stack. It works :rolleyes: she always gets a reward and a taste. As they say, training never stops lol.

Kaiser2016

The rotties and the boerbel were... really out of control; shutting down and collapsing on the floor, lunging at dogs coming in, scrambling around and feeding bad energy... Don't think they get out much. They needed a lot more training and socialization beyond show experience
Ok, I was going to comment on the Rott that was behind Ripley - it did seem out of place in that group.

Good to hear about the Dane and the young handler. I remember taking Kaiser to our Rally classes and there was a similar aged girl with a medium sized dog and she had such good command over it while Kaiser was dragging me around lol, oh the embarrassment this little devil has caused.

JanS

DCF Owner
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
I love these videos and they look damn impressive out there!

The rotties and the boerbel were in general... really out of control throughout the day; shutting down and collapsing on the floor, lunging at dogs coming in, scrambling around and feeding bad energy... Don't think they get out much. They needed a lot more training and socialization beyond show experience before coming to a show.
I hate it when people bring those types of dogs to shows and disrupt everyone. I know dogs are supposed to be trained to ignore distractions like that but it's not always that easy; especially for a young dog or a sensitive breed like a Greyhound.

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
and even on good behavior it was a poor example of a Rotti. The movement is not pretty and it has sickle hocks that look terribly weak. I was kinda horrified by its looks AND behavior! And the creeping up behind Ripley... yikes. Ripley didn't bat an eye. Or at least if she did I couldn't see it.

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
and even on good behavior it was a poor example of a Rotti. The movement is not pretty and it has sickle hocks that look terribly weak. I was kinda horrified by its looks AND behavior! And the creeping up behind Ripley... yikes. Ripley didn't bat an eye. Or at least if she did I couldn't see it.
She didn't that's why I was shocked. It was a 6+ month old puppy and came with a littermate I believe, or another puppy from a different litter but both same age and both terrors lol. Their ring time in class was waaay worse and surprise no class competition so they moved on to group. At least the male was a little more behaved by day 2 show 2. A little excitedness is ok, especially in fun matches which is like age 4-6months... But once you enter the bigger stuff it would be nice to have them a bit better managed and don't give them to young juniors that you don't know and they don't know your dog!

@JanS Oh yeah, Ripley was that excited puppy at one point but not that obnoxious and not reactive at all. I get the need to get out there and practice at shows but hopefully people spend some obedience time on their pups and socialize them before coming to show.