Ripley Show Thread

I don't quite get the placings... I thought reserve got points, no?
No they don't sadly unless something is wrong such as paperwork or incorrectly entered. It does happen...it happened to one of my breeder's bitch before! Only winners bitch and winners dog and those in the final best of breed ring that place earn points. That's one of the reasons it's so challenging to get those points! You have to not only win your class which could have competition like Ripley's did that day, but also beat all the others that won their class too! That means for a 3pt major win for my area, there were at least 17 dogs beat. That day was a 4pt major with 24 total dogs beat.

1650574293864.png
 
Third weekend in a row of shows, whew. Rip and Derek took 2 BOBs against competition (yay!) and 2 Group 3s today at Trail Creek UKC show in Laporte, IN.

Ripley is still sooo much a puppy but shes happy and having dang fun while showing and you can't train that into them like one of our friends who's been showing much longer reminds us. I enjoy seeing these two learn from every show and getting better and better as a team, however long and bumpy the ride may be lol. 😊 She allowed a male judge to HOLD her head in his hands while he stooped over her and felt her face fill and head planes. Talk about HUGE for Ripley! She held her stack like a statue! Did great for the exam after that, then melted a bit when he touched her rear 🤣 That's ok though, Derek caught a tip to help her quickly compose herself if she ever does that again, with a gentle foot between the rear feet and she will pop back up. Glad that Ripley is doing these things so they can learn to be better!


First line up in the ring. Ripley free stacks and is laser focused for that bait.
View attachment 118053

They've started working on teaching her to not rush from point A to B with an "easy" cue. Ripley already knows where to go and wants to get there FaSt for that treat lol. When she slows down her head comes up and looks better than leaning into the collar and pulling Derek along.
View attachment 118054

Final line up before placements; time for that classic doberman look.
View attachment 118055

Group 3! There was a really nice Giant Schnauzer and the Dane placed second. Happy with their performance today! Ripley still has maturing to do that will come along with her second heat and mental maturity with experience 😌
View attachment 118052

Here's to tomorrow!
View attachment 118056

After showing tomorrow they will take a little break from showing while Ripley and I try out Barn Hunt next weekend!
She is gorgeous!
 
We had a fun 5 day filled show weekend last week at the West Michigan Apple Blossom Cluster in Kalamazoo, MI and I finally have some time to share!

We hired a handler for the first time to see how Ripley would do her first time out with someone other than my husband. Also, we figured it would be very good for her since we most likely will hire a handler to put her majors on her (more competition, harder to get seen without a known face) and we wanted to start a relationship with someone.

We've been approached by Paula a few times in the past year and she's been so kind to come up to us, completely new to the sport and take the time to comment how good Derek was doing handling and how pretty Rip was from a conformation standpoint (not just being nice lol). I had a friend recently reach out to me and encourage me to talk to her after she had hired her for her special and she made numerous comments to my friend at shows about how she really liked Ripley :love:

Ripley won RWB (again) the first day and won every class except the last day, as we knew the judge that day was wishy washy on her picks. Paula sent us home with homework to condition her and get her ready for the next show in July. She said there isn't much to not like about Ripley, she doesn't have to fix hardly anything on her when presenting her. The problem is, next to everyone else she looks "too standard". Basically, she fits the standard incredibly well that she looks different than everyone else. She is lacking a little in chest too, mostly due to her age and probably because she just came off her heat and shes been laying around the house for a month doing almost nothing :whistle: Now she isn't perfect, none of them are! There are certainly things I see on her that I would improve and I'm harsh on my critiques as I see her every day and see these things. I read the standard multiple times to try and learn and develop an eye of what the "ideal" doberman should be and find these areas of improvement on my own dog. It was nice to confirm the things I felt but from an unbiased and experienced point of view!

By the end of the summer she will be ready for the big girl class that matured bitches go into. She said Ripley's time will come and when it does they usually keep coming. It happens a lot. Some of them are slower to mature. I've had friends in other breeds share the same sentiments about their dog not getting any points until 3! There are a few Melrae dogs that just finished recently and they are all 3 too. So she seems to be on par.

Couldn't be happier about our decision with Paula! She took what Rip had already and put that polish on her and handled her beautifully. Ripley loved working with her and she said Ripley was a dream to pilot, that we had her well trained and it was like playing with a toy, she moved exactly how she needed to. Not only did she professionally handle Ripley but we got to slowly know one another and she offered tips to Derek for handling and conditioning tips to us both. The knowledge and 40+ years of doberman experience she had to offer was simply invaluable! Super excited for Rip's future and to work with her again. Enough chit chatting, time for pics. :D



Um hello, who is this dog and where is Ripley? :eek:
1654272493305.png


1654272534673.png

RWB first day

Ripley after the first day. She was so tired she fell asleep with the ball in her mouth :rofl:
1654272593614.png

She had her echo done and eyes checked. Normal and healthy heart and eyes.
1654273075178.png

1654273178964.png


1654273200900.png


Ripley sees something in the distance that catches her eye and grew an inch taller Paula said:rofl: Makes for a beautiful alert presence!


1654273296105.png

1654274381348.png

1654273356982.png

D70_5543resized.webp

Hung out with some friends to celebrate a birthday, eat ribs and play games. Best thing about dog shows and camping is that dogs are of course always invited! Ripley enjoyed her sucky all evening and occasionally letting strangers know she was there and watching :D
1654274066869.png

She was falling asleep standing up LOL :sleep:
1654274083314.png

We did some dock diving too so I will have to share that story and pics another time soon!
 
I love looking through all of your photos and reading about their classes! Watching the videos with other breeds makes me realize how much I enjoy watching a Doberman move. When my husband takes Sasha out, I love to stand at the door and watch her move. Congratulations! We are Northwest Ohio. Let me know if you come our way. I would enjoy seeing her show! Sue
 
RWB first day

I think I recognize the 4th woman in the line-up (blonde hair with bangs and ponytail)! She has some ties to Rubie's breeder so I see her wins pop up on FB :D

So.... lemme get this straight.... Ripley is SO perfect (because of course she is) that they don't spend extra time looking at her non-existent flaws and she gets looked over?? I'm sure that's not a challenge you expected to have :D

I have always secretly wanted to do a multi-day dog event that involved camping and hanging out but I'm pretty sure that's my husbands worse nightmare...

So glad you guys had a great long weekend with a lot to brag about but still learned so much new stuff!!! Keep on keeping on!
 
I think I recognize the 4th woman in the line-up (blonde hair with bangs and ponytail)! She has some ties to Rubie's breeder so I see her wins pop up on FB :D

So.... lemme get this straight.... Ripley is SO perfect (because of course she is) that they don't spend extra time looking at her non-existent flaws and she gets looked over?? I'm sure that's not a challenge you expected to have :D

I have always secretly wanted to do a multi-day dog event that involved camping and hanging out but I'm pretty sure that's my husbands worse nightmare...

So glad you guys had a great long weekend with a lot to brag about but still learned so much new stuff!!! Keep on keeping on!
Lol while my husband loves our pup, he greatly fears his over achiever wife’s interest in all this!
 
So many :congrats: in order for Team Ripley!!! Looks like a fabulous long weekend. Nothing better than coming home being tired & exhausted but in a good and satisfactory way. So proud of you all! Love the photos/vids that come our way every time you go somewhere!
 
I love looking through all of your photos and reading about their classes! Watching the videos with other breeds makes me realize how much I enjoy watching a Doberman move. When my husband takes Sasha out, I love to stand at the door and watch her move. Congratulations! We are Northwest Ohio. Let me know if you come our way. I would enjoy seeing her show! Sue
They are beautiful moving and its hard to hide anything on dobes! We will be in Lima in July for the shows and WAE!
I think I recognize the 4th woman in the line-up (blonde hair with bangs and ponytail)!

That is Karin Fox, also a handler and I believe breeder of Vondura dobes. Shes a very nice lady!

Ripley is SO perfect (because of course she is) that they don't spend extra time looking at her non-existent flaws and she gets looked over??
More so they are not comparing her to the standard but comparing dogs in the ring against each other, and you are not supposed to be doing that. Every dog shown is competing against the standard, not each other. She gets looked over because she looks "different" next to a lot of the rest. 😩 She does well when there is another that looks like her, and surprisingly they too are close to the standard. I dont know enough to say more on judging issues but I did see the DPCA online have a judge mentorship for members to become mentors for judges when requested to help educate them to the standard. And no, not a struggle I thought she would have going into any of this when we originally went just for fun but now Ive learned its a good welcomed struggle.


But for: agility then barn hunt then fast CAT THEN dock diving AND THEN.........
day of shows are even more dangerous 😂
 
So many :congrats: in order for Team Ripley!!! Looks like a fabulous long weekend. Nothing better than coming home being tired & exhausted but in a good and satisfactory way. So proud of you all! Love the photos/vids that come our way every time you go somewhere!
Youre welcome! Im glad yall enjoy them even if we are losers right now LOL
 
Nice! I was wondering about the handler when I saw some of your photos and videos on FB. It's too bad that anyone needs a professional handler but I also understand that they need to be pretty well recognized to get the judges attention in the higher up events.

What was going on when the one lady went into the tent for a minute, then came back out?
 
What was going on when the one lady went into the tent for a minute, then came back out?
The lady that went into the tent won WB. The lady that came out (diff lady btw 😁) placed 2nd in the same class the WB placed 1st. So when you are 2nd and the WB is the 1st place dog from your class, you get a chance to show again to possibly win RWB. If you place 2nd in your class and the 1st place in your class doesnt win in WB then you dont get to go back in.
 

Back
Top