Ripley Show Thread

I hope you have a nice big trophy room set aside in your new house. Team Ripley is going to fill it in no time! Congratulations and I love the happy faces after the day. :love:
 
I hope you have a nice big trophy room set aside in your new house.
Of course, everyone has to have a dog room, right?! The dogs already took over our master bedroom closet... 😆 It was the perfect setting to convert into dog kennels with the easy to clean linoleum floor and tied right to the master bath. So easy if there are any accidents or need to dry off after a bath. I have a collection of photos and ribbons for Java I've been collecting for eventual display. Just need to paint their room first or I feel I'll never paint it if I put things on the wall and start filling the room. So many projects so little time. 😅
 
Ripley and Derek (and me!) are off tomorrow to the Kentuckiana Cluster and Miami Valley DPC Doberman Specialties in Louisville, KY. It is the 2nd largest all breed show in the US! 3 days and 5 total shows for them! There are 55 dobermans entered, mostly bitches.

They've been working hard up to this point and are feeling ready as ever. I'll be running Ripley in Fast Cat and her first dock dive! Don't expect her to jump far as we haven't jumped since the summer but she seems to love it. 😊


Left her collar on, woopsie. We literally rolled right out of work, drove an hour to my agility class and back then right into getting one last practice in before we leave tomorrow.

PXL_20220317_002133725.TS_exported_25269.jpg


PXL_20220317_002306018.TS_exported_21102_1647482729320.jpg

PXL_20220317_002437230.TS_exported_352472.jpg


FB_IMG_1647491123638.jpg

There are 28 conformation rings 😮. Plus more for obedience and rally and a whole building for agility!
FB_IMG_1647490881239.jpg

Fast Cat should be interesting!! Those are two courses with black out curtain between them. We aren't far off from doggy drag racing 😁
FB_IMG_1647490679237.jpg
 
Kentuckiana was a blast! Such a huge show with lots of big names. We got to spend all weekend with our breeder, cheer on local friends in obedience, compete in fast cat and dock diving and watch a friends daughter show in pee wee. So stinking cute!


First day, Derek and Ripley showed very well in both the all breed show and specialty, got major looks and even pulled out but ultimately no love.
PXL_20220318_180346423.jpg

PXL_20220320_171735648.webp

Professional handler Diego Garcia and his special "Wicked"
PXL_20220318_184618996.jpg

Woke her up at the end of the day. Sleepy thing. We went back to the hotel and crashed at 7pm after being at the show since 5am. Woke up at 11pm to a tornado siren and possible tornado. THAT wasn't fun! Got to love the midwest...
PXL_20220318_203819390.jpg


Day 2 was busy with a show, 2 fast cat runs, chiro and watching friends compete. Rip and Derek showed well. So proud of him for keeping his spirits up and improving their technique in the ring.
PXL_20220319_124614724.TS_exported_183117.jpg

PXL_20220319_124614724.TS_exported_249057.jpgPXL_20220319_124614724.TS_exported_258858.jpg


Ripley got adjusted at the veterinary chiropractor at the end of the second day. She had a number of spots out along her back, neck and shoulder. Probably from being a crazy puppy running, tumbling, and slamming into things. You could immediately see the difference in her back just standing there. It was much more limber. She's feeling good now!! (first day back at agility she was flying around like a rocket). They were praising her for how good she was being for her first time and someone pressing on her like that. Sweet as ever. 🥰
PXL_20220319_185449126.jpgPXL_20220319_185734294.jpgPXL_20220319_195453336.jpgPXL_20220320_005538864.jpg


Day 3 and the end of our fun filled weekend. Derek even got to handle Lenny, Ripley's half sister to take her back in for RWB. Someone was talking to me during that so I didn't even get to see them at all 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ but our breeder said she and he looked great! Yay for more experience 😁
PXL_20220320_144107130.jpg

PXL_20220320_171651037.jpg

A professional photographer snagged a pic of Derek. They are looking good! Not bad for a pet turned "show" dog and noob handler 😁.
B48R1353.jpg

Derek learned a lot being able to watch some of the top handlers. About every Dobe save 5-6 were handled by handlers from around the US. There were 59 dobes on Saturday and 50ish on the other days. It was simply a tough ring to be showing in. Showing back to back though gave him more opportunity to work on those handling skills to try and get comfortable with being a little more fancy in the AKC ring. In the end, we went home with THE best dog!

I have dock diving and lure coursing pics and an update for those too but will post them later when all the pics come in!
 
Last edited:
A BIG and interesting weekend! Ripley seems to just sail through all the different experiences with such confidence. Being up against such competition must have felt a little daunting but Team Ripley looked good!
My favourite pic is of Rips on the bed with her sucky! Such a beautiful girl!
 
Fast Cat should be interesting!! Those are two courses with black out curtain between them. We aren't far off from doggy drag racing 😁
View attachment 124881

Oh, wow! Moo's dock diving instructor just mentioned this set-up last week at class and showed me this (or a very similar) picture. Apparently people were NOT HAPPY about this set-up. It sounded like they had posted a picture, people lost their minds, they took it down, made some modifications (which were the black out curtains and alternating runs?), and then reposted? Or is that an overly dramatized 'dog person' order of events? How did it end up running. I heard a lot of people pulled their dogs. I think I would have a tough time running Rubie in that set-up but Moo wouldn't care.

And, wow!!! what an eventful weekend in and out of the ring! Stinking tornado's... it sounds like nothing touched down nearby? Growing up in Pennsylvania, Twister was one of my favorite movies of all time. Now that I've lived in the Midwest and through a couple of nearby touch downs and several sirens, some of the nostalgia has worn off :rolleyes:

They look SO good out there! And that's so great that he got the change to handle another dog! I think we get a bit blind or take for granted things about our own dogs. Mixing it up a little really puts your skills to the test! I cannot wait to see her dock diving and Fast CAT pictures!

I am sure conformation dogs have fun in the ring but can you tell that they're really letting 'their hair down' when they get to go do all the other fun things???
 
How did it end up running. I heard a lot of people pulled their dogs. I think I would have a tough time running Rubie in that set-up but Moo wouldn't care.
I have no idea about the drama, didn't hear or read any but most people were in the photographer lane which was the left lane. Very few didn't want pics. There's also down time after the run of people collecting their dog, the lure being reset etc. and able to run another dog during that time. So besides rare timing and only 60 dogs per block... There hardly ever were two dogs running at the same time. Honestly, it was a lot bigger than it looks and you could not see the other lane. Dogs with a great prey drive tunnel vision and don't see anything but the lure lol. So I don't think it was a problem as much as people are saying. 🤷‍♀️

Now that I've lived in the Midwest and through a couple of nearby touch downs and several sirens, some of the nostalgia has worn off :rolleyes:
Yeah, definitely not as fun as a movie LOL especially waking up to it on the third floor and having to rush to get around to run downstairs with your dog in mind.


I am sure conformation dogs have fun in the ring but can you tell that they're really letting 'their hair down' when they get to go do all the other fun things???
For sure!! Ripley almost couldn't believe we were doing fast cat there. She heard the excitement and the lure and took a little to get excited herself, like CAN WE MOM, CAN WE???? 😁


Nevermind about ribbons, those memories are forever.
Exactly! We went for a good time and did just that! We didn't expect much with all the variables at a big show that determines if you are pointed at. But the experience, memories and other fun stuff makes it worth it. Gotta get out there to get better 😁
 
Man, she looks good!
Aw, thank you. She was a little too soft for my liking that weekend if I had to be nit picky, especially in the tuck. She ballooned up after her last heat and had a hard time firming back up. She always gets swollen but this time she hung onto the fluid. Shes finally getting where she should be again and man, it's amazing how much those hormones make them look more and more mature. I laugh remember thinking she looked like an adult a little less than a year ago, then seeing all the other actually matured females next to her and realizing how puppy she still was.
 
Ripley went Reserve Winners to the MAJOR last weekend in Crown Point, IN under Judge Mary Anne Brocious. This is the same location (diff show) they entered their very first AKC show less than a year ago... and won RWB! Derek continues to finesse his skills as an owner handler in a super competitive breed ring. He laughs and asks me, "why did it have to be a doberman!?" We wouldn't be here if it wasn't! This judge requested NO bait hitting the floor... so he pulled out a squeaker to animate her with for the first time. She loved it ! 😄

Although no points this win was very nice considering it was to the major win after a long streak of striking out. If something fell through with the major win, the judge deems Ripley worthy of the points! They are getting there!!!

SC41622B-0036.jpg
 
WOWZA! She's really looking like a young lady now - no puppy look at all. Congrats to the Team - all 3 of you! :woot:

I don't quite get the placings... I thought reserve got points, no?
 

Back
Top