SmtmsAlwys
Novitiate
Hi, all. I'm new here. Please forgive me as I wasn't really planning on posting as I don't yet have a Dobie, though I'm strongly considering getting one and have been learning quite a bit by just lurking. Even so, I've been left with questions that I'm just not really finding the answers to, if I may.
Growing up, my parents always had Dobermans. I have vague memories of the one we got when I was young having her ears cropped by my parents (via their vet). I remember asking questions and was told that "it looks better" and that my parents "like it better". The reason for the tail crop was that if it wasn't cropped, then she'd wind up beating us with her tail.
Fast forward some years where I heard so many things about how cruel it is to do it so I believed the claims. Now I'm seeing so many posts here where people do crop their dogs and, I can't imagine that so many people would be doing such if it were actually cruel to the dog.
*For those that have cropped their dogs ears/tail, is it strictly a looks thing, or does it serve another purpose?
*For those that didn't crop, was it because you found it cruel, or were there other reasons?
*Are there any real advantages to cropping them vs not?
I'm just currently in my research phase and trying to learn everything there is to learn before making a decision on anything. Thank you for all who answer!
Growing up, my parents always had Dobermans. I have vague memories of the one we got when I was young having her ears cropped by my parents (via their vet). I remember asking questions and was told that "it looks better" and that my parents "like it better". The reason for the tail crop was that if it wasn't cropped, then she'd wind up beating us with her tail.
Fast forward some years where I heard so many things about how cruel it is to do it so I believed the claims. Now I'm seeing so many posts here where people do crop their dogs and, I can't imagine that so many people would be doing such if it were actually cruel to the dog.
*For those that have cropped their dogs ears/tail, is it strictly a looks thing, or does it serve another purpose?
*For those that didn't crop, was it because you found it cruel, or were there other reasons?
*Are there any real advantages to cropping them vs not?
I'm just currently in my research phase and trying to learn everything there is to learn before making a decision on anything. Thank you for all who answer!