Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Dog dies after United flight attendant forces it into overhead bin

Discussion in 'Canine News/Informative Articles' started by JanS, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I've flown my cat from the US on her own almost 9 years ago. My dog flew from within Canada while my hb was also aboard almost 2 years ago. The animals are taken to and from a live cargo area where they are held in a heated facility. Both traveled in the cargo because the crate was too big to fit under a seat and neither breeder permitted a soft sided carrier (like the one used by the dog in the thread). It may seem more dangerous to put them in cargo but they have isolated spaces for pets which are covered so the live cargo doesn't move around like luggage might. The animals can surely smell each other but they aren't seeing each other.

They are hand delivered to where ever you pick them up. The cat had to go through customs in a separate building where she and her paperwork was vet checked. Kaiser arrived at the fragile and oversized luggage area right in the airport.

Whoever boards the dog is kept informed. For the cat, her breeder called us when the cat was on board and when she got the vet clearance. With Kaiser, the flight attendant notified my hb with paperwork that the dog was on board.

My first pic of little Blitz.
    image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. GOD'S GRACE

GOD'S GRACE Notable member

@MyBuddy .... I don't fly any more either...after two different flights, the bozo attendants spilled coke on me and I was told to chill out or deal with security when we landed...by the way the cokes weren't for me...I don't eat or drink in flight...

I just thought the info might be helpful for others....
    Maybe next time I'll get a KONG Crate and ride with Grace...No bozos in cargo!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Seriously? They spill it on you, and YOU have to chill? :eek:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

One of the many reasons I loathe and detest the whole flying experience.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Oh Little Oji

I am quoting my own content :D You know, come to think of it, in Commando when Ahnold was making sneaking through the cargo hold he came face to face with a ferocious dog in a crate. I want to remember if it was a Doberman but my computer is lazy and hates when I ask it to pull up big ol' websites like Youtube.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Yes, it's way different than checked luggage and climate controlled or I would have never had ours flown to us. Katja has also flown quite a few horses and from the photos and videos she's posted here it looks a lot like a nice flying stable.
    I can't remember the exact temps but I know the original date Della was scheduled to come home was too hot in San Antonio (something like 85) so it had to be delayed for a few days. They also have big restrictions on the snub nosed dogs since they can't handle it as well with their breathing problems to start with.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

My twins flew in on United from Texas. They had to go to Miami Instead of Key West because it was hot and it would have created a 3hr layover in Miami before heading into KW.
    I was a nervous wreck but I could check their progress online. They were unloaded and in the cargo area about 10 min after flight landed.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Oh Little Oji

Wow, that's considerably faster than they let the humans off the plane usually.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

They take animals from the hold before passengers and their luggage.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Love that you quoted yourself :laughing: I did wanted to comment earlier on this that Arnold movies are awesome. Even while bankrupting California it was hard to dislike him. Even through the Mildred affair (which was just gross when he can get any girl he wants), I still can't dislike him!

Didn't you just get a new iPhone? Look it up on that!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Oh Little Oji

I actually looked it up on our beleaguered computer and it doesn't look like there is a youtoob clip of the cargo hold scene from Commando, though there is a clip (I didn't click on it) of him leaving the plane via the landing gear.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Do it from your phone! Use Safari. Download the YouTube app from the App Store. Your life will never be the same :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Oh Little Oji

I'm concerned my phone will never be the same. I only recently added a white noise "fan" app, and Pandora. That's a stretch for me.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  14. GOD'S GRACE

@Oh Little Oji One thing that helps me...I hide the app back in iTunes when not being used...it frees up the computing speed for the rest of the phone...when I need it I just down load it again.

15. Oh Little Oji

Wow, I didn't expect tech advice from you. Multi-talented man, you are, G.G. I do not know how to hide things in itunes. I have never gotten much any use out of itunes or iphoto. Seem big, clunky unnecessary programs to me.

• Like Like x 1
  16. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

And now they're banning certain breeds. How about they just stop shoving them in the overhead bin? Delta has some restrictions on breeds like this, like the weather but they still allow them to fly.

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) - United Airlines will ban 25 dog and cat breeds when it resumes flying pets on June 18th.

The change in policy comes less than two months after a French bulldog died after a flight attendant instructed the dog's owner to put the pet and its crate in an overhead bin.

In 2017, United recorded a record number of animal deaths on its flights. Of the 18 animals that died on a major airline, 18 were on a United flight.

The carrier is also working with American Humane, the nation's first national humane animal organization, "to improve the well-being of all pets that travel on United," the airline said.

Under the new policy, 21 dog and four cat breeds prone to heat or travel stress problems will no longer be welcome on the airline.

Dog breeds

• Affenpinscher
    • American Bully
    • American Pit Bull Terrier/Pit Bull
    • American Staffordshire Terrier/"Amstaff"
    • Belgian Malinois
    • Boston Terrier
    • Boxer
    • Brussels Griffon
    • Bulldog
      • American Bulldog
      • English Bulldog
      • French Bulldog
      • Old English Bulldogges
      • Shorty Bulldogs
      • Spanish Alano/Spanish Bulldog/Alano Espanol
    • Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
    • Chow Chow
    • English Toy Spaniel/Prince Charles Spaniel
    • Japanese Chin/Japanese Spaniel
    • Lhasa Apso
    • Mastiff
      • American Mastiff
      • Boerboel/South African Mastiff
      • Bullmastiff
      • Ca de Bou/Mallorquin Mastiff
      • Cane Corso/Italian Mastiff
      • Dogo Argentino/Argentinian Mastiff
      • Dogue de Bordeaux/French Mastiff
      • English Mastiff
      • Fila Brasileiro/Brazilian Mastiff/Cao de Fila
      • Indian Mastiff/Alangu
      • Kangal/Turkish Kangal
      • Neapolitan Mastiff/Mastino Napoletano
      • Pakastani Mastiff/Bully Kutta
      • Pyrenean Mastiff
      • Presa Canario/Perro de Presa Canario/Dogo Canario/Canary Mastiff
      • Spanish Mastiff / Mastin Espanol
      • Tibetan Mastiff
      • Tosa/Tosa Ken/Tosa Inu/Japanese Mastiff/Japanese Tosa
    • Pekingese
    • Pug
      • Dutch Pug
      • Japanese Pug
    • Shar-Pei/Chinese Shar-Pei
    • Shih-Tzu
    • Staffordshire Bull Terrier/"Staffys"
    • Tibetan Spaniel
    Cat Breeds

• Burmese
    • Exotic Shorthair
    • Himalayan
    • Persian
    * Including mixed breeds

Original source:
    United Airlines to ban 25 dog and cat breeds

• Informative Informative x 4
  17. GOD'S GRACE

Well I guess this is like the gun issue,....
    Planes don't kill dogs, it's the care and handling of the dog that kills...(back to people again).

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Here's a thought...how about NOT putting anything that requires air to breath in an overhead luggage bin :pa:

They are trying to blame the breed of dog instead of looking at their handling of the animals.

Banning breeds won't solve problems. Education is the key. Teaching proper animal handling procedures (and ensuring they are followed) is the correct route.

So far as I can see the new policy doesn't address service animals and emotional support animals :scratch:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Always something good to post

31957754_10215914511198353_6853152815108325376_n[1].jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

It never ceases to amaze me that people feel the need to take their dog everywhere. We went to the zoo this weekend. There was a huge traffic jam and I'm wondering what's on. Turns out someone brought their dog and left him in the car while they went to explore the zoo. There was one Park Ranger, 2 Police cars and 100's of people gathered around. The temp was in the 80's and it would have taken them hours to get back.
    by the time we got up to the car, they had found the owners who were explaining that didn't want to leave him home alone all day. Talk about angry crowd response.