Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Dog dies after United flight attendant forces it into overhead bin

Discussion in 'Canine News/Informative Articles' started by JanS, Mar 13, 2018.

1. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Dog dies after United flight attendant forces it into overhead bin
    By Christian Gollayan

March 13, 2018 | 2:55pm | Updated

[​IMG]
    A passenger posted a photo of the dead pet on Facebook. "My heart broke," the caption reads.Facebook
    On Monday night, a dog died in a plane after a United Airlines flight attendant forced the dog into an overhead bin.

Maggie Gremminger, a passenger on a flight from Houston to New York’s LaGuardia Airport, uploaded a photo of the dog’s owners on Twitter. “I want to help this woman and her daughter. They lost their dog because of an @united flight attendant. My heart is broken,” reads the image caption.

The Points Guy reports that during their flight, an attendant insisted that the woman put her dog, which was held in a TSA-approved pet carrier, in an overhead bin for the rest of the flight.

Passengers heard barking during the flight, but didn’t learn that the dog had died until the flight was over.

“There was no sound as we landed and opened his kennel,” passenger June Lara writes in a Facebook post. “There was no movement as his family called his name. I held her baby as the mother attempted to resuscitate their 10 month old puppy.”

Gremminger’s and Lara’s posts about the ordeal are now going viral on social media. United is facing online backlash.

“Another reason I will never ever fly or support doing business with United Airlines!” one Twitter user writes.

A United spokesperson addressed the incident in a statement to The Points Guy: “This was a tragic accident that should never have occurred, as pets should never be placed in the overhead bin. We assume full responsibility for this tragedy and express our deepest condolences to the family and are committed to supporting them. We are thoroughly investigating what occurred to prevent this from ever happening again.”

According to United’s website, its policy for onboard pets is: “A pet traveling in cabin must be carried in an approved hard-sided or soft-sided kennel. The kennel must fit completely under the seat in front of the customer and remain there at all times.”

Original source:
    https://nypost.com/2018/03/13/dog-dies-after-united-flight-attendant-forces-it-into-overhead-bin/

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  2. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Why would the attendant do that ! I’ve never even heard of that before !!! That really makes me mad. What an asshat !! If that were my dog I would have gone ballistic !

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Notable member

Oh god, a 10 month old puppy????

4. Sir.duke865

Sir.duke865 Member

I think if any living creature loses its life because a know it all over achiever has a point to prove at work they should be jailed. had that been my pup I’d have gone to jail. I’d have had a technical meltdown, glitches would have ensued and I’d have gon off the deep end,all cylinders firing!!! guess it’s a good thing I don’t fly

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Cscallan

Cscallan Member

I hate flying after my last experience. Pretty sure it was United *eye roll*. wasn’t traveling with a pet but my aggressive autistic son who was very confused on what the hell we were doing and didn’t like the waiting around or standing In lines. I had a gate agent call the airport police on us (ON OUR LAYOVER!!) because she didn’t want to allow us to fly. My seven year old was a danger to the passengers. I was a basket case of a mess. My son was being aggressive towards me. I get that she would think that. But she would not hear me out that he would be fine as soon As we boarded and sat down. Long story short an angel of a woman approached the officers and the gate manager and told them she was experienced with special needs and would sit and assist us on the plane. He slept the majority of the flight and otherwise was calm and quiet. I have never been so humiliated in my life. Moral of the story: many airport employees are know it all pricks who in reality don’t know jack/are real pricks. I know some really awesome pilots but besides that.... asshats as @AresMyDobie said

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Empathetic Empathetic x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  6. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Wow, that's horrible. I work at an airport (not for an airline) and we had many sessions on how something like that is never, ever supposed to happen. I'm so sorry you had to experience something like that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Prushanks

Prushanks Hot Topics Subscriber

Was the owner aware of this happening to her dog and in what universe is it ok for anyone to put a dog in an unventilated compartment!?! How could anyone not say anything!? If one is traveling with small, carry on dog then shouldn’t that dog be below their feet or under the seat or on the lap?!
    Agreed, flight attendant is guilty but the owner, if they knew about it (wouldn’t the carry on dog be with them?) is absolutely culpable and negligent too?
    What’s more, the owner should know the procedures/protocols if traveling with a Pet.. and regardless of the attendant “insisting”, speak up!!!

• Agree Agree x 10
  8. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

I can't even.... HOW does this happen? Such negligence on so many levels.

• Agree Agree x 7
  9. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Notable member

I'm glad you said this. I was thinking the same thing. If you hear barking at some point and then it stops, check on the dog. If the dog just HAD to stay in the overhead for whatever crazy reason, I'd be checking on it a million times. You see people who get one thing from the overhead, sit down, 5 minutes later need something else, a few more minutes and again they're reaching for something. It saddened me to see the pic of the poor dog, but for once social media is doing something positive. Kudos to the person who posted this on behalf of the owner.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Cscallan

Cscallan Member

Well now I feel like a jerk, I don’t really believe that, that all airport employees are asshats. I just always feel raged when I think about that incident. It was a terrible experience indeed. So thankful for the sweet lady who came forward to stand up for us. Otherwise I think we would’ve been stranded in Dallas.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I have never thought of this happening. When has a pet ever been placed in an overhead bin? For cryin' out loud, idiot flight attendant, why would you do something unknown with a living creature? POWER TRIP. Follow protocol. Plain and simple.

I absolutely DESPISE flying and at its root level, this is why! As a passenger, you have given up your rights! You are a prisoner and MUST do what you are told or face jail time and be taken away from your family. I really don't blame the passenger here. Sure, I'd probably have not allowed it to happen to my dog; but the bottom line is you must do what you are told on a plane or face very serious consequences. The damned flight attendants will gang up on you and physically tie you to a seat.

Then, there's airport security. Put up with their piss poor attitudes or they may just take you to a secret place. (No offense to anyone here)

Yeah, let's jet-set! The good life! I'll stay right here, thanks.

My condolences to the family who lost their poor dog.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I absolutely believe the owner bears some responsibility for this. If you are going to travel with your pup, you should be aware of the rules beforehand. The purchase of a crate would have saved this pup's life.
    The airline should have said something when they were boarding. I am certain an employee saw the pup being carried on. Wouldn't it be appropriate to say something before they were settled in their seat or at least in time for the passengers to have the option to leave, buy a crate and catch another flight?

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. GOD'S GRACE

GOD'S GRACE Notable member

The whole thing is just sad...and that's why I don't fly anymore...no service, no sense and no courtesy...I'll take the road trip and have fun with Grace.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

This is absolutely disgusting. I must say, the owner has to take responsibility too - no way would I have agreed to put my dog in an overhead locker. It never ceases to amaze how much stupidity is out there.

Looks like a French bulldog, too. What I would class as a ‘smooshed faced dog’ with difficulties breathing and such.

That poor animal lost his life to careless, inconsiderate turds. So sad! :(

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

This beyond words!! How horrible for that puppy! But I agree with some responsibility being on the passenger. I haven't flown since around 1980. Maybe even earlier than that. Terrified of planes. BUT no way would I agree to put my dog/pup in the overhead. The overhead?? I haven't been on the plane in years, but are we talking that CLOSED compartment where people stash their small belongings, overnight bags, etc?? Above the seats?? Are you serious? No EFFING way would I put my dog in there! Why didn't ANY one speak up? Even other passengers, for crying out loud! I would have ! :cus:
    And this is probably true too!! They'd be tying me to my seat because I would be ballistic!! And then what?? They'd do what they want with my dog?? Oh, I can't begin to tell you the lawsuit I would file!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Sir.duke865

Sir.duke865 Member

I’d have flipped about this whole situation before I would’ve thought about it and would’ve probably gone to jail :banghead: I wouldn’t have agreed:thumbdown:, my animal is my family not my darn clothes paperwork or business contracts. And the travel bag would probably cost more then attentdent makes anyway (my lady has a thing for designer bags for designer dogs as thier called ) :rofl:. I’d start a huge issue over this my lawyer would’ve been waiting on this one regardless me going to jail, he’s one of those sue the city and win guys our local courts almost hate him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mystic

Mystic Member

Of course United. They have the highest US record in pet deaths. They are horrible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I would have had EVERYthing in place before I boarded the plane. I would not just assume that I could hold me dog. The attendants at the door of the plane should have informed the customer at that time the dog needed to be in a carrier. It should NEVER have gone any further!
    The owner of the dog was uninformed, foolish and I can’t believe she did not know that any animal must be in a carrier. Not to mention allowing the attendant to force her dog into a compartment that does not have sufficient ventilation to sustain life!!

I know that I would have been man handled because they would not have taken that dog away from me even with a fight!!
    Of course this event would not have occurred with me because I would have researched airline policy on flying with pets.
    The break in communication started the moment she walked into the airport with a dog in her arms. Someone should have informed her at the check in, the security walk through, gate attendant, plane door attendant. All of these people failed to do their jobs by remaining silent.

May a thousand prolific birther fleas infest her home and body with a biting reminder of her cruel and stupid actions and the rest of the flight crew for standing by and allowing this to go on.
    To me all of them are responsible!!
    Ignorance of the dog owner not knowing the airline protocol just doesn’t fly here!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Mystic

Mystic Member

It was in a carrier. One of those black mesh pet carriers. Under her feet. At least that is what I read in the article.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Mystic

Mystic Member

4B3B8BC8-1394-4185-9B93-A8C67CE6C91D.png 453F1283-3691-4646-8CBE-A27A1F64BAFA.png

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1