Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Angry - Dozens of puppies found dead in cargo hold of Ukraine plane

Discussion in 'Canine News/Informative Articles' started by Ravenbird, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Admin may want to move to Canine News Articles - sticky on that page said I couldn't post there?
    So evidently Ukraine airline had like 500 puppies on a flight to Canada. This news article is 12 hours old, so maybe updates coming, but I didn't see where the parties were named that were picking up said puppies? THOSE people/companies/dog mills should be named too!

UGH

Ukraine Airlines flight PS 1241 landed at Pearson International Airport on June 13, carrying 500 puppies in the cargo hold that were meant to be sold in the Toronto area, according to a statement by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA).

A source recalls seeing the puppies in Ukraine.

“There were around 500 total, 200 French bulldogs included, that were taken for transportation on the Borispol-Toronto flight, including 300 cages, which meant some cages contained two dogs,” the source said.

The temperatures at the time of loading was over 30 C, and the puppies were visibly suffering according to eyewitness accounts, with multiple crates being placed on top of each other, and some even being encased in plastic.

A handler loading the aircraft in Ukraine said that many of the dogs were put into cages without the ability to even move, and without air circulation. The pallets were then transported into the lower compartment of the aircraft, where air circulates very poorly.

A video shared by a baggage handler at the time of loading shows carts with a large pile of crates containing live animals stacked high.

This would be in direct violation of the International Air Transport Association guidelines which state that each animal should have enough space to turn around while standing, to sit and lie in a natural position.

As soon as I entered the warehouse, you could smell death

Toronto resident Abby Lorenzen, who went to the airport that day to pick up a friend’s cat, was told at customs that there would be a significant delay due to the large amount of pets on board the flight.

“You could tell on their faces that this was a situation that did not happen very often,” Lorenzen said. CFIA officers also refused Lorenzen access to the warehouse, telling her “we will bring your pet out.”

Lorenzen, who has picked up pets from the cargo company says this is the first time she was denied access to the warehouse. “Usually, you just walk right in, and pick up your pet,” she said.

She received the cat, which appeared to be in good health, and headed home.

Lorenzen had to be back at the cargo warehouse at early Monday morning for the cat’s final flight to the west coast. This time, she was allowed to enter the warehouse.

“As soon as I entered the warehouse, you could smell death. It was just very eerie,” said Lorenzen.

Some idiot on the other end shrink wrapped several crates containing animals

After checking the cat in, Lorenzen happened to pass a garbage can, and the bodies of several puppies were clearly visible. Shocked, her first instinct was to snap a photo for evidence. She approached an officer with what she saw, and his response was that they had been instructed to dispose of the bodies.

Read more:
    Dozens of puppies found dead in cargo hold of Ukraine plane that landed in Toronto | National Post

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2020
    • Empathetic Empathetic x 4
    • Wow x 1
  2. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Hot Topics Subscriber

Words fail me. :down:

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

I found a follow up article, they were mostly French Bulldogs, 38 dead of the 500. Most likely going to "breeders" in Canada for resale. In other words, importing puppy-milled dogs to be sold in the $3000 range. Sick.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  4. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

"pet rescue" is big money for some:furious:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

They plastic wrapped the crates in Ukraine? Wow! What did they think would happen?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

An update plus footage of the crates at airport:

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow x 1
  7. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

People just gotta' have their Frenchies!

8. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

STILL though, No names of who sent the dogs and who was supposed to pick them up. The middle man is the airline, which can be found guilty of neglect, but the actual people that need to be STOPPED is whoever put 500+ puppy-milled animals on the plane and the actual people who were named to pick up the dogs - greeders who resale those animals at a huge profit. Those are the criminals and when they are stopped it stops the cycle. :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

So you have the evil people breeding these dogs, then you have an air line who will improperly transports the animals, and we also have people who were looking to sell them for profit?

Is anyone else confused on why the air line would ship the animals like this? What ever happened to policies? Im just worried if this would be an issue with people transporting their pets. I have never flown, but I know I would be a nervous wreck worried about Jasper.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Apparently they chartered the plane for this shipment. Usually airlines only allow 2 animals in the cargo so whoever was supposed to verify this clearly didn’t bother. I’ve also never heard of 2 pets in the same crate and these ones really looked to be crammed in there. I remember when Kaiser flew home (within Canada) we had to confirm his height with the breeder the day before my hb went to get him just to make sure he would still fit in the crate within the airlines requirements because they did check all that before boarding him. We reused the cat’s carrier which was huge for her but it had enough standing room for him. Had he come to us a week or two later he might not have fit.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Hot Topics Subscriber

I don't think this sort of thing would ever be an issue with normal pet transport. I flew Jazz across Australia as a 13 month old and went with a pet transport company. It took three days with quite a few stop overs because not all airlines can accommodate a large dog. She was in good condition and not traumatized at all so wouldn't hesitate to do the same again if I ever needed to. It costs a LOT to fly an adult Dobe!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

I don't think this has anything to do with shipping one or two pets or legit buying a puppy from overseas.The numbers, the airline agreeing to the numbers and the obvious "in fashion dog breed" being involved, it just stinks to high heavens.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

This is just sickening in all respects...

No that isn't allowed with most (if any) commercial airlines and as stated, the crate has to meet requirements for space for the pup/dog.

• Agree Agree x 1