Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Dog dies after United flight attendant forces it into overhead bin

Discussion in 'Canine News/Informative Articles' started by JanS, Mar 13, 2018.

1. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

That car might not of had a couple of its windows anymore!

2. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Wow. To delay all those humans for the sake of maybe helping one dog. Seems they should have broken the window or just picked the lock and gotten into the car instead of standing on ceremony and looking for the owners.

I see your point, though.

On the other hand, I think there is overreaction on this dog-in-car issue. It has limited me in the past from bringing my dog in the car and exercising common sense. For instance, if it was 80 degrees out, and maybe even humid, I would be okay bringing my Dobe in the car if I find a shady parking spot and leave at least a couple windows down a few inches and not leave him for too long. I'm afraid someone will report it (especially with Oji's insane barking) and a federal case will be made out of nothing.

As in so many cases in life, we all suffer because of the poor behavior of the few.

3. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

This was within the city of St. Louis. City cops won't break windows, they'll get their butts sued. You lock your keys in the car you better know someone that can come with a spare key or call a locksmith. The cops won't do anything.

I have never felt the need to take my dog somewhere they have to sit in the car and wait for me. Just too many crazies out there waiting to unleash.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Oh Little Oji

Sounds like Cincinnati cops. Do nothing. Yeah, we always hear they've got too much to handle with the drug overdoses and the shootings and so forth and they're understaffed; but I think there's more too it than that. There's a lazy, who-cares attitude. I also think that cops are afraid of being accused of racism today. Well, then it seems that the vast majority of the police force here IS black, and I know they have their own culture that doesn't have much to do with the rule of law.

Well, I know that when I worked 12 hour overnight shifts, I used to often bring my Doberman to lay in my truck all night. Now, I would, of course, come out and be with him on each break and over lunch. I always figured he could either be laying in the house the whole time or be laying in the truck the whole time. Seems being out of the house would be more stimulating for him. Incidentally, when I have my Dobe out with me somewhere and he is whining and discontent, I say to him "I could have left you at home with nothing to do!"

• Like Like x 1
  5. GOD'S GRACE

GOD'S GRACE Notable member

@Oh Little Oji You need a sign!... The A/C is on and The Doberman will bite you if you touch His Truck!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Oh Little Oji

I know! Actually, what I have wanted to do – especially in this town where it seems any public space is a place where some people make your business their own – make a sign that says "MY OWNER IS IN THE STORE. I'M FINE. DO NOT PET. CEL # XXX.XXXX" So I could possibly leave Oji out in front of a store and run in for a couple items. Alas, I'd have so many people making a big deal out if it though. Hard to describe. Sort of a cultural thing. Like "Oohh, what do we have here?!?" "Hey, check this out. Look at dat dog!"

I did tie him out by a Whole Foods real quick one time and when I came out there were two young women in a car stopped and looking at him. When I got back to him, the driver said "Hey, give me my dog!" I question whether she was actually thinking of stealing him.

7. GOD'S GRACE

That's why I got the sign...The Cops break windows here...I take 2 keys, leave the car running and lock the car...I run into the store all the time for 5 minutes and refuse to tie the dog out front for the reason you stated...

The sad part of all this I was thinking, people drive by homeless folks and don't stop to help.:(

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I still think that's too hot/long. In ten minutes, it could be 90 in the car. And with Oji barking, he'll heat up fast.

I'm so paranoid about someone taking my animal that I can't leave them for a second. I've done the 'lock the door with the a/c running' a couple of times. But I am never relaxed about it and finally gave up on it. I am a 'what if' kind of person. What if someone could get in my vehicle and steal him? What if I am longer than I thought I'd be (or get hit by a car or have a heart attack, etc) and no one knows my dog is locked in a car? And it runs out of gas...laugh if you want, there are too many things that can happen. I'll leave my dog home, thank you. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. GOD'S GRACE

Living here in the South, I see it all the time (dogs in a/c vehicles)...plus, 6 out of 10 carry, even the grandma's...never hear about any one missing with a Doberman in a locked car...if the Doberman doesn't scare you may be Granny will...:dobe:

With little exception (Charlotte, Durham-Raleigh) folks here in the South don't miss with your "stuff"....The bigger cities though are no different than other big cities around the country....