Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Dog dies after United flight attendant forces it into overhead bin

Discussion in 'Canine News/Informative Articles' started by JanS, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Minionmama

Minionmama Member

This is so sad. I assure you that this family will be getting a huge settlement from the airline. I would have never put my pet in an overhead, what kind of person agrees to that. Yep, call the cops on me when we land, but you aren't going to kill my dog.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Carrier under seat equal compliance to airline protocol. No way would I have allowed that flight attendant to touch that carrier!! Yes, I would be in jail but my dog would have survived and that attendant would have a civil suit against her after the suit against the Airlines was complete!
    How can people (attendant) be sooo stupid!
    To think they are there to help us in the event of an air disaster. Toss her ass out first without the inflatable chute.

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

:rofl: Baaaahahahahaha! That just struck me so funny!!

Back to the serious nature of this incident, what did they mean, "the attendant didn't know there was a dog in there" ????? Seriously?? That's a lot of bull :poop:

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Mystic

Mystic Notable member

Exactly my thoughts when I read it. She must hear a lot of wind blowing between her ears.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Oh gosh don't feel like a jerk, those people were jerks to you and I've encountered some really bad attitudes at a few of the different airports myself.
    LOL, I am one of those security people at the airport (TSA), but that's different than airport cops and other security since we are independent of the airport itself.

Yes, it was in an airline approved carrier but the owner should have been more responsible as things unfolded. She should not have been traveling with 2 young children and a dog if she couldn't handle it and she should have made sure she could have safely placed the carrier under the seat, instead of letting it stick out into the aisle. I blame both the idiot flight attendant and the owner in this case.
    HSUS or one of those radical groups said that the dog would have died anyway on a plane because of the short snout, but that's not true if it wouldn't have been forced into the overhead when the air in the plane cabin itself is good.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I'm quite sure I would not get an attitude from you, Jan, even if I didn't know you. :thumbsup2:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  7. Oh Little Oji

Unfortunately it does not take any training, and in a lot of cases any qualifications, to buy and own a dog. I can easily see many dog owners just going along with what a flight attendant tells them regarding their dog – especially in today's climate where if you cross a member of airline staff, or if it is determined that you are causing a significant disturbance you can be in serious trouble.

This might come into play in this legal case: Is it Federal law that passengers must obey all instructions given by crew? I know when I used to ride the Washington State Ferries the announcement that was played over the P.A. at the beginning of every crossing included "Please follow all instructions given by the crew." It seemed to me that many of the crew let that go to their head.

Really, wasn't this bound to happen some day? When you carry animals in what looks a lot like luggage? Maybe it would be a good idea to have "LIVE ANIMAL" badges attached to it like they do with larger crates that go in the cargo hold.

I agree, though, it's pretty unlikely that the flight attendant did not know there was an animal in the bag. I guess it's possible though. Poor verbal communication, being in a hurry, angry flight attendant over perceived breaking of the rules by passenger? I assume the passenger had the dog carrier on her lap and the attendant came through and said bzzt, nope.

Did it not fit under the seat, I wonder?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mystic

Mystic Notable member

It was under her seat it was sticking out in the aisle.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Oh Little Oji

I just saw a teaser on the local news that someone's dog was wrongly flown overseas instead of its intended destination. They showed a nice looking GSD.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

You have to wonder if this is murder to me it is. An infant cries on the plane they don't stick them in the overhead carrier!!!! This really makes me mad

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

From what I understand, the pup was in an airline approved soft sided pet carrier under the seat, but the carrier was sticking slightly out into the aisle. In the interview I saw with the pup's family, the daughter was translating for her mother from Spanish to English. To me, that says that there was a language barrier and the mother had less ability to fight the authority of the flight attendant. I blame the flight attendant and the passengers who sat there listening to a dying dog bark for 2 hours.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Oh Little Oji

I absolutely understand the need to keep the aisles of an aircraft clear. The thought of putting a dog in an overhead bin though is just, wow. It is surprising to me that the overhead bin was so lacking in oxygen that it would be deadly. Then again, I have not studied or researched the first thing about aircraft. I hope an autopsy is performed on the pup to determine for sure the cause of death.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Oh Little Oji

By the way, I wasn't kidding about what I wrote earlier:

UPDATE: Kansas family to be reunited with dog after mix-up sent it to Japan

United Airlines again, incidentally.

Oh, the kennels looked similar. Totally understandable. a 10 year old GSD endures a flight to Japan instead of Kansas. Now it must endure another flight after all the confusion and chaos. Can you imagine being this dog separated from its owners and going through all of this? I don't know if it has ever flown before.

Edit: The family was moving from the West Coast to Kansas – hence the flying of the dog. I say unless that dog was quite used to flying they should have either driven it, or somehow gotten permission to bring it on the plane with them. Ten year old German Shepherd! I'm surprised it was cleared to fly.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. MyBuddy

I saw this last night and was livid after reading about the puppy earlier!! And United? Again?? OMG

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MyBuddy

I'll bet it was too hot. Scared puppy, barking his head off, no air circulation.....dear God. :( I just can't think about it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

And I guess they mixed up a Dalmatian and GSD. I don't know how United does it but when our pups were shipped with Delta they had the travel papers with the airport clearly on top and other stickers on many sides as well so there never had been a mix-up like that unless they completely weren't paying attention.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. GOD'S GRACE

GOD'S GRACE Notable member

And I might add...stickers and orders mean nothing, if you can't read English...:yatta::yatta::yatta:

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Oh Little Oji

Ah. The quick news snippet I heard was the GSD was switched with a Great Dane that was supposed to be shipped to Japan.

19. Ingrid H

Definitely. And to top it off, it was a French Bulldog- a brachycephalic breed that I thought most airlines wouldn't even transport over certain temperatures. The poor dog couldn't even breath right because of its breeding. Put a flat faced breed in a hot place with limited oxygen, and that's what's going to happen. The flight attendant couldn't really be expected to know that though.

There was some mention of turbulence on the flight. Does anyone know if the "Seat Belts On" light was on or how bad the turbulence was? I wonder if the other passengers were afraid to disobey a stupid light instead of checking on the puppy.

20. Ingrid H

"That's not my dog" said the recipient of the Great Dane multiple times!

• Like Like x 1