Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Doberman Population in your area

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Cali_K, May 22, 2017.

1. Eltoroloco

Eltoroloco Novitiate

Thanks, but I will try to keep a low profile instead. I prefer to read more than post. :D

• Like Like x 1
  2. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

We have one Doberman in my area and she lives in my subdivision. She is poorly bred and very shy and fearful of people. She is also fully natural. I hardly see her out and about. She is either in the house or out in the yard to potty. I only see her when we are out on walks and she stands in the upstairs window or on the deck and barks at us.

When my dogs are out and about they receive a lot of attention....maybe because I walk all five at the same time. lol.

• Like Like x 4
  3. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

We have a couple of Doberman walks every month in a park. There are probably 20 that show up

• Like Like x 2
  4. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Spotted these guys about 6 miles out from home yesterday.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  5. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

That would get anyone's attention!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

That is awesome! Your Dobes are so buff!

7. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I contacted a Great Dane breeder this week because I wanted to "feel her out". I'm certainly not ready for a puppy of any breed at this time, but she said that she's been breeding for over 30 years. I asked if she offers cropped puppies because the only pictures of hers that I'd seen of puppies were uncropped. Here's her response:

"No, I no longer crop my dogs. I do not see the need to cut half their ear off! But I do not have problems with people that still want the crop. When I was into showing I cropped. If you are in the Belfast – Bangor area and ever need help with the posting, I will be glad to help."

I was pretty shocked by her exclamation mark, but then she said she had no problem with cropping.

8. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

It's a struggle to find balance between profits and their beliefs, I guess. If she was truly ok with cropping she would have stated her opinion differently. On the flip side, she saves a lot of money by not cropping them. It was good that she offered to help with posting. My two cents.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Oh grrr, and that's where they AR people take the bait and run.
    Kind of looks like it's leading her, doesn't it? ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Tks unfortunately we lost our Brown boy Stryker in Feb. 2016. The Blk one in the picture with Stryker is his brother Yago from a different litter.
    And now we have a Female Zara she is 1yr 2mo old

• Empathetic Empathetic x 3
  11. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

A bit so yes. The dog looked a little skittish on the street.

Not knowing them or their story, and based on the maybe two minutes I observed them, the owner/handler was doing everything right.
    Quick corrections, not heavy handed with the leash, not coddling the nervousness etc. right after that photo of the dog leading she was (I think it was a she?) corrected for getting too far out front.
    They both looked a little in a hurry to get across the street. Don't blame them, it's one of the busiest intersections I hit going that way.

I going to keep positive and imagine that person recently acquired the dog who hasn't experienced much. So, they're out exploring and experiencing. :)
    The dog didn't seem a loose cannon or way freaked out but for sure not too comfortable with all the traffic.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. LauraS

LauraS Member

I haven't seen an yet in Asheville. I have seen some mixes, but not anything "official."

13. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I agree. Body language made the dog look skittish to me too.

Like a few others, I haven't seen one in our area, ever. But once, when I was 'back in my old stomping grounds' (about an hour North of us here and where we used to live) I saw a man walking a black Doberman. I was like everyone was saying, "Man, I haven't seen one of 'those' in years!" lol I was very tempted to race after him to talk to him! But I was driving in the opposite direction and thought better of going up to a stranger. Within those seconds of indecision, we were blocks away and I lost my chance. I still think about to this day. Shouda, Coulda, Woulda. Darn. :sour:

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. MischasMomma

MischasMomma Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Very few. Theres an older couple about 15 mins away that have one I often seen laying out in the yard (never seen the owners though, my mother in law knows them though) I saw two awhile ago out running the land on a farm on a back road too... But other than that I dont know of any. Growing up, we had 2 and our neighbors had one. But those were the only dobes I ever knew. Oh! I did see one at petsmart last year (and a few at our training facility when I stopped by, but idk if they were local or just in the area visiting the trainer)

15. JanS

It's funny but a few weeks ago I was pulling up next to a truck at a stoplight and got all excited when I saw a sticker on the back that said "Doberman - It's like a dog only cooler" so of course I had to catch up while the light was red. Then when I got closer I saw 2 Dobermans sticking their heads out of the window and got really excited until I saw the driver waving at me and rolling her window down to talk. It turns out it was Lisa, Atticus and Demelza and I forgot she got a new truck and that I wasn't used to seeing them in town after they moved. LOL
    Thankfully that was a long red light so we got to BS and I got to baby talk to the dogs before they headed back out of town.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
  16. Cali_K

Cali_K Member

IMG_20170601_172423-1.jpg Picture of Kayla on memorial day.

Finally I saw another Dobe on memorial day at he park, I was there with my daughter and Kayla and saw a young guy running on the bike path that runs behind the park, of course I followed ( not running lol!) Well as we walked on I see them coming back, in my head im saying to myself sweet!!! The conversation was very short, guy wasn't very interested in talking hey it's cool at least I saw another Dobe. It was a female thinner and taller than K. I was so trying to conversate with the guy that I didn't even notice Kayla's reaction but she just stood there very calm didn't even sniff.

• Like Like x 3
  17. JanS

I saw the same truck I was talking about in the shout box a while back and it was parked in exactly the same spot. I'm guessing they're going to one of the medical places in the mall since it's parked there for quite a while and it's in the handicap spot in the area.
    They have out of state plates (Florida maybe) so I don't know if they moved here or just come up for the summers. I sure wish I could catch them one of these times though.

Needless to say, it catches my eye immediately. LOL
    Truck with Doberman stickers June 14 18.JPG

• Like Like x 5
    • Wow x 1
  18. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I probably would have waited or gone inside to search for him! I never very seldom see any Dobermans around here. :( One time was a service dobie in the waiting room for outpatient care. I was so excited it was hard not to reach out to the dog!! :( Another time was about a 45 minute ride North of me and I saw a guy walking a Doberman down the sidewalk. I had to chase after him! lol! I just wanted to say Hi! and say Beautiful Dog! And of course, tell him I had one too and that I so seldom see others. :( It's like finding people of your 'own kind' or something! lol

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

When we first moved to this house, apparently dobermans were not so welcome. We were the talk of the neighborhood because everyone of afraid of my viscous dobies.:rolleyes: Now because of Drake and Greta there are about 10 in my subdivision. I walked then everyday and people got to know of love them.
    It's not uncommon to see multiple dobes at various dog events around here. Interesting little tid bit, dobes are always the best behaved. :biggrin:
    Purina Farms sponsors "Pooches in the Park" where you can take your dog to a Cardinal game. Purina sets up lots of demos with their 'Ultimite Dog Team' where you can catch some pretty cool tricks and even dock diving. Before the game they have a pet parade on the field with a costume contest. My son went this year and called me because a doberman won this year!

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  20. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Looks like Arizona plates which would make sense with the Lake Havasu sticker.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1