Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Doberman Population in your area

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Cali_K, May 22, 2017.

1. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I did read that thread back when I was lurking and just went back for a quick refresher. I agree, globally it will change because of it becoming illegal. I should have said it from my local perspective where it is still legal to crop. My local FB Doberman group is full of cropped dogs belonging to younger/hip owners.

2. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Really? Interesting. Now, you are in British Columbia, right?

I guess within a Doberman club of some variety one might see more C/D Dobes than in the general pubic. Still, it's surprising what you have there in your group. By "full of cropped dogs," how many do you mean?

What I've seen is that young/hip means against C/D or at least having adopted from a shelter and thus floppy.

I almost always ask people when they tell me they had a Dobe in the past, or they have one at home – I ask them if it is/was C/D. The answer is usually no, and I can tell the people are assuming I'm against it too (even though I am standing there with my C/D Dobe.) One of the last people I talked to said "Yeah, they got to him before he came to live with me." (those monsters who crop dog's ears)

3. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

That would be my first guess but it would be impossible to know since some of the breedings do produce leggy pups if it's in their lineage.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Lol, you're talking about tree huggers :woot2: they wouldn't buy a Doberman and a rescue is usually too old to crop so they have no choice but to leave it natural.

I think we're thinking of two different things when you say hip. I was thinking this.

Urban Dictionary: Hipster

• Like Like x 1
  5. Oh Little Oji

Ha. Well, not really. Seems we are not fully understanding each other. Oh well.

6. Nutz

Nutz Hot Topics Subscriber

Not a single Dobie in my area, I live in the bubble of a short, dead-end street. The kids from round and about play together in the bubble right infront of our gate.

They all know it's a Dobie, my bragging grandkids (8 & 9) see to that

So I frequently get the cute puppy / nice dog and similar... I smile & nod my head just like the senile old poep they think I am...

Wait.......They don't have a cooking clue what cute puppy's gonna morph into in just a few short months.....:dobe:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Nutz

Nutz Hot Topics Subscriber

Ok, so.... I'm actually not in favor of cropping ears...:nono:

And here's why.................

Although you may not believe this (based on you beloved, Dobies ability to to-tal-ly ignore you), Their ears are very sensative, and I always think, without the flap, what it must be like, when even the slightest of breezes blows, what it must be like to have what amounts to a gale-force wind blowing through it's head.... All the way through....:eekwtf:........... from one side to the other...

Cropping of tails, I agree with

Removing dew claws I agree with....

Here in South Africa, C & D is banned, although here and there I still see a docked dog.

8. Oh Little Oji

Bicycling to the pool with my daughter today we waited at a red light and watched two teenage girls, each with a dog. One had a docked tail and floppy ears. I thought it could be a Doberman. The closer we got, the more certain I was. Here's the thing with this Dobe: It was one that had no really visible markings. So a melanistic, docked and floppy Dobe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Regalis

Regalis Notable member

I actually saw a c/d male recently in town. No clue where he belongs. He was ... Odd looking though. A little chubby, too, but just generally not proportioned well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Tell it like it is :thumbsup2:

11. Oh Little Oji

She sounds like me when describing Dobes I see. Other dogs too, for that matter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I saw this one in an ad a few weeks ago in our local paper so I guess there's another one I wasn't aware of.
    Doberman from HTD June 2019.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  13. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

I had to take Selene to the vet for her 12 wk shot & Rabies (now required at 12 wks in order for her to get a health cert to enter Canada) and a lady brought in 6 wk old miniature dachshunds (and I fell in love with the little chocolate & tan boy)... She adored Selene and told me about her red girl Grace.. and she lives just 3 miles from me.

• Like Like x 4
    • Wow x 3
  14. blacknrust

blacknrust Notable member

For years I would see this man walking his two Dobermans. Always impressive perfect heel, one each side of him. I was never able to stop and talk as I always saw him on very busy streets with no real place to pull over and park. Plus do I really want to interrupt this mans walk and be the crazy dobe lady.
    Fast forward to about a month ago. I see him and he's only walking one dobe. I see him again, only one dobe. I'm now crying because my heart is just breaking. I cried to my husband about this man who now walks only one. I'm leaving work one day and see him, I have to know what happened to the other one and express my condolences. I stalk him for miles, circling around until I get the opportunity to park. He's walking by when I hop out of my suv. I begin with I own a dobe also, flashing my cell pic of Maeve and I have to tell you how sorry I am about your other dobe. Meanwhile his big lug of a male is a puddle in my hands and I have tears on my cheek. The man who l learn is a police officer in a distant town, laughs and says oh she's at home.... Doofus here jumped on her and broke some bones in her paw she's in cast for a few weeks. I was so happy! I had actually stopped him across the street from his home. His wife came out and waved:anonymous :. According to him she's done with dobermans, they're too needy :rofl:. He's told her all he will ever own will be dobes. We talked for 45 minutes. So there's two dobes just over the town line and they're the only ones I've ever seen.

• Like Like x 5
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 5
  15. My Gal Gretel

My Gal Gretel Hot Topics Subscriber

Seems I might be in the minority as far as number per capita... in our town of 100k, I know of 4 other dobes: my vet has one, another vet in the same practice has two, and an acquaintance of mine has one. I didn't realize the acquaintance has one until she posted in our local lost animals group on FB that he had gotten out. Thankfully, he made it home the same day safe and sound, so I PM'd her to let her know we were getting one. There is a camaraderie that goes with owning a dobe.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

@blacknrust Thats a really nice story and I felt some heartbreak there just imagining the loss of his dog. And I don’t even know them! Im glad it turned out the way it did. Hope he has many more years with them.

As far as my small town goes, I only know of one doberman who belongs to a lady who works at a coffee shop. Jasper really needs Dobie friends...

If anyone is in the Rhode Island area we should meet up while the weather is warm!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  17. purpletugtoy

purpletugtoy Novitiate

Hi everyone, this is my first post! I live in Australia and not once in my life have I seen a Dobie (that I can recall), and not at all in my area. Because of this I was actually really surprised to find there's quite a few breeders around Sydney. My best friend (who lives in down the south coast) once said "I saw one, it came running up to me in the park today!" and I was really excited, I asked her what it looked like, and she described it and it sounded more like a Rottie, so I sent her a picture of a Rottie and said, "like this?" and she said "yep!" I was like aw man, that's not a Doberman :(:D

I actually live a few hours away from Sydney, in a small rural town up in the mountains and I'm currently madly saving so I can get myself a Dobie pup early next year. I can't wait to walk her around and have everyone see her. I'm 5'0, very small and to be honest I'm excited about how we're going to look next to each other. A silly reason to be excited but I'm excited nevertheless :lolsign:

Of other dogs though, there are plenty of your typical working breeds up here, Kelpies, cattle dogs, Border Collies, Maremmas. I see lots of terriers too, especially Jack Russells.

• Like Like x 5