Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Doberman Population in your area

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Cali_K, May 22, 2017.

1. Cali_K

Cali_K Member

Im curious as to how many (roughly) Dobermans in your area, how many do you see a day, week, month. Also what type of reactions do you get from people. Surprisingly I don't see many in my area and I live in a high population city, in the top 10 most populated cities in CA. I've seen 5-6 total in the last 20 years or so and two were mine haha. We definitely do have a lot of dogs in town just not Dobes.

As for reactions because we don't have many here people stare and comment alot, some good comments some ignorant. Some people's facial expressions read that dog belongs behind a fence not in public. I take my girl everywhere

Thanks in advance.

• Like Like x 3
  2. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

There are 5 of them in this town that I know of including our 2. One of the other ones I met through training and we do get together on occasion and and the other 2 are friends of ours who decided to get into the breed after seeing ours. I also ran into another one at a dog event in a neighboring town but I haven't seen her since. So all in all, there isn't a high population around here compared to other breeds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Drogon

Drogon $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

I mostly see Dobermanns at our IPO training sessions. Outside of that there doesn't seem to be too many around. I only see another one every couple months.
    Reactions vary from admiration to fear.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I'm in the UK...but within a 5 mile radius I know of 5 dobermans that we see regularly.
    Reactions can vary widely. I would say the majority are the better side of admiration and fondness compared to the lesser majority of fear and disapproval.
    Kobi's very sensitive to feelings and he'll soon let you know what the stranger is thinking and what perception they have of him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Pretty uncommon, but not at all what could be considered rare. Here in Cincinnati I see more of them than in other places around the country I've lived. There is a strong German heritage here, historically at least, and I wonder if there is a link there.

I'd estimate somewhere around 1/2 & 1/2 Cropped & non-cropped.

• Like Like x 3
  6. blacknrust

blacknrust Notable member

Besides mine, zero. Recently I did find a trainer 2 towns away that has a dobe and has worked with them for over 20 years. It was great to find her and have someone who understands the breed.
    We walk daily at a conservation area. Lots of dogs. No dobes. I get comments every day mostly they say "haven't seen one of those in a while" or how beautiful she is and how well behaved. But my all time favorite " you know she's going to turn on you, all dobes do." :facepalm:My favorites are the regulars, mostly older walkers who have pretty much watched her grow on our walks.
    I'm always hoping when a newbie posts here that they'll be near me.....

• Like Like x 3
  7. Oh Little Oji

I don't see/feel much negativity when I walk, run or just have my cropped, docked Dobe with me in public. I know yesterday walking through the farmers' market I got at least three comments on his beauty.

At the risk of being considered racist I'll share: I've seen that some black people have an inordinate fear of dogs (probably not just Dobermans). The worst example yet happened just a week or so ago. Walking my daughter to school, a black woman was at the bus stop. She gets up staring at Oji. She winds up stepping out into moving traffic – thankfully it wasn't moving very fast at that particular time. She then crosses against the light and shouts to the driver of the van she stepped in front of "He's got a dog!!"

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Oh Little Oji

Yes, I get that comment too: "Haven't seen one of those in a while" or "You don't see many of those anymore."

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

There are several in the lower keys.
    Mine are the best looking.:D
    People usually comment on how beautiful they are. I get a person here or there that tell me Bogie has an intense face. Hahaha
    Most people want to pet and love on them. I allow petting but not hugging or kissing. That freaks me out.:eek:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Tropicalbri's

There is a huge population of Goldens and Labs and Pitties down here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Cali_K

Cali_K Member

Wow thanks to all who replied! I was just curious, I see many get reactions like Kayla does. Definitely get the "haven't seen one of those in a while!" Also the " they say those turn on you" I had a lady leap off a park bench because we sat next to her. I admit it bothers me when parents pull to their kids or tell them to go around, it shouldn't but it does! LoL! May I should tell Kayla the same haha! Or owners with smaller breeds as well, but I get it not all owners want to interact. Sometimes they say "C,Mon your just an appetizer" "you're lunch" etc. Kayla you cannibal lol! I enjoy talking to other owners who just see a dog, a companion, a loyal friend, an animal that puts you in a good mood and lowers your anxiety. That's what I see and feel. I do try to educate as much as I can when I can.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Oh Little Oji

You mean Planet Earth? :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Tropicalbri's

Not sure I would call this Earth or the 'Real World'. Hahahaha
    They call it Key Weird for a reason. Lol

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. JanS

We see mostly Labs, GSDs, Golden Retrievers and designer mutts around here. I was surprised when I saw 2 beautiful Great Danes out in a fence the other day on a street I take all the time. I'm guessing they're usually in the house but were out for a little romp and potty break.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Just out for a walk, maybe 4-5 that I have seen. But I know there are many others. There are at least 5 breeders within 1 1/2 hrs from me. Some are show lines others are working or combination of both. Couple Just breed euro lines. I can get anywhere from 10-12 at training and there are also conformation classes at the training building so will see some there as well. I believe most people who own Dobermans around here avoid the dog parks or even neighborhood walks to avoid other out of control breeds you might see.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

There is another on in my town now, but I haven't seen her since last fall. She's only here because her owner regularly saw me walking Hans, used to be a Doberman owner, and he just had to have another :) I hope to have them meet again this summer now that she should be nearly grown. She was only 12 weeks last time they met and she was too intimidated by Hans to want to play.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Eltoroloco

Eltoroloco Novitiate

Hi Dobie people around the world, its my first post here,but I guess I gotta start somewhere...

In my neighbourhood I only know of one other dobie. At the off leash park near my old house,in the core where I used to live, there were 2 others. It's not at all a popular breed here and when I got ours, it was hard to find a pup.
    Most people admire him, some pretend to admire him but I can tell they're pooping their pants while forcing a smile. But no negative comments. Here (in Calgary) pit bulls have a bad rep, thats about it.

• Like Like x 4
  18. JanS

Welcome!

You should start a new thread in the introduction section so we can properly welcome you. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

So important to educate people in the minute or so interaction you might have with someone. I came up with an "elevator pitch" to quickly explain how calm and refined the breed has become since the olden days of movies depicting Dobes as evil dogs (though the Resident Evil Dobes were beyond cool for zombie dogs, right?) ;) I also have ready responses for the ears.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Hello from YYC! There are lots of Dobie owners here! We find each other during the cropping process as there are very few vets here who do this anymore. But our vet is the best and knows Dobes well. You probably tried to expand your Dobe connections through Facebook- I had little luck there as the group seemed to fizzle out a few years back. Instagram has loads of Dobes on it but not many from here (mostly Ontario). Local Dobe owners tend to be against dog parks due to the unruly nature of the dogs and overly liberal owners that go there. Totally agree about the Pitbulls though. I have seen too many live up to the stereotype, hate to say it since Dobes also have a stereotype.