Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Doberman Population in your area

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Cali_K, May 22, 2017.

1. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Not any mountains in FL unless you are looking up from a sink hole. :D

• Funny Funny x 4
  2. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

Met a dobie at the vets the other day. Super excited and probably seemed like a weirdo to the guy but I just never see them around. It was a female named Storm...He said there were quite a few in his area, Royal Oak. I even asked to take a picture (hence the weirdo vibe, hehe). I will post it shortly.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I'm that way too. I've had other people approach me who were former Dobe owners.

It's funny: When I walk the two English Bulldogs that I walk, SO many people say they have one, or a friend or family member has one or used to. Of course, currently, French Bulldogs are all over the place.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Tropicalbri's

I get a lot of people wanting to take the twins picture. Not a lot of Dobermans down here but obviously a lot of dobie lovers!!

• Like Like x 3
  5. Minionmama

Minionmama Member

Not a lot of dobes around here. I get the "never see them anymore" comments a lot. People in our neighborhood will cross the street when walking if Twi is out front. She is nonreactive to people walking, she notices them and will watch them but doesn't run up to them or bark. Someone told my husband yesterday in an exasperated tone "that's a big dog!" She is not big, she's 54lbs. I think that she has a big presence though and she is strikingly beautiful and shiny. So she gets a lot of compliments from afar.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tropicalbri's

Why do all these people think dobies are these huge dogs? I always tell them the breed is a medium size breed. Most likely it’s the breed reputation that makes them think big or they own little pouch pooches.:D

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Minionmama

Minionmama Member

20180623_171529.jpg She's clearly vicious and ready to attack!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I started noticing this too. They're everywhere!

9. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm having a few rooms of carpet professional cleaned today! I haven't done that in probably 30 years! I usually do it myself but I had a few spots that I couldn't get clean and really thought it could all use a good once over. So I finally caved and brought in someone else. :purps: It's a 'green clean' from up your way, sorta ! lol @LifeofRubie Schaumburg! He said, "Long drive!" Haha, yup!

So he is doing our bedroom when he looks out the window and sees the dogs on the deck. I was watching him clean and saw him look and wondered what he was thinking, when he turns around and says, "We had a Red Doberman just like that when I was growing up! He lived to be 16 years old." :wideyed: Say what?? Wow!! Good for you! I said how come you don't have one NOW? lol He said he has a husky. A white husky! Didn't know they had all white husky's! He said Buddy looks just like his old Dobie. When he is finished, I will see if he would like to meet him. :D

• Like Like x 2
  10. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I can picture Buddy doing the dobie lean as I read this Lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. MyBuddy

Probably!! :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. MyBuddy

Argh, we forgot! He was out the door when I remembered and I didn't want to yell, Hey, you forgot to meet Buddy! LOL Owell.........in other news, my carpet looks great! And smells good! ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Mystic

Mystic Notable member

I have seen two in my area and that is it. Lot of pits and gsd’s. They just don’t seem to be around here as much. I as well get the same comments “wow you don’t see those dogs often” and “cool those were the dogs of the 70’s he is awesome looking” lol people seem to be amazed when they see one here.
    Although I have run into a few older lady’s before who said they used to own them as well and agreed how amazing of a breed they are. I also was out in the park one day and looked up to see two women police officers walking my way I was thinking hmm I know I didn’t do anything or my dog. One of the gals said she saw him and just had to come meet him and say hi. She used to have them as well so that was cool.
    I also seem to get the question “are you going to breed him” alot. I am just like no I don’t breed and wouldn’t. Not sure if it’s cause they see his balls and think that or what cause not a lot of intact dogs in my area either so maybe that’s it.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I get that a lot too with the breeding. Maybe it's because they see his bits, but I also get the sense that people treat breeding as a pretty casual thing. The amount of times people have said they bred their dog just because s/he had an amazing personality lol.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Firestar Dobe

Firestar Dobe $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I haven't seen a Dobe in my area for about 2 or 3 years! Mostly little teddy bear type dogs or Pit Bulls.

16. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

I've actually heard of several living within blocks of us (people who stop and talk and say oh, so and so over yonder has a Dobe!) but have never seen them.

We did see 2 when we went to a park the other day; both unfixed males. Would've liked to stop and chat but the first thing I got asked was if I was going to breed Rubie. Both Males were very sniffy which Rubie didn't like so we just kept walking.

Saw a beautiful Dobe being walked this morning on my way to work in our neighborhood but he/she was black and all the others I've heard about are red. Should've stopped and yelled at them or something!

• Like Like x 2
  17. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

We see a lot of the little "designer dogs" around here too, Golden's and GSD's. Oh and Labs are dime a dozen.

18. Oh Little Oji

My wife and I had a rare date this afternoon and were sitting at a restaurant at the front windows. I spotted a woman – a rather young woman dressed in sort of exercise clothes (just giving these details because it surprised me how young and sort of "hip" this person was to be having the following animal on a leash): A male Doberman, Black, cropped and docked. This Dobe actually looked fairly handsome – even some Euro characteristics to the head and coloration. It was quite leggy though! I wondered if it was neutered early. From my perspective inside the restaurant I didn't get a glimpse of whether it was neutered or not. I see far, far more uncropped Dobermans than cropped – especially in the hands of younger people. This one was a surprise.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

@Oh Little Oji You'd be surprised how many younger people get Dobes and have them cropped because it's part of the look they wanted. I'd almost relate this to the comfort level nowadays of getting plastic surgery. If everyone is doing it, maybe it's no longer a big deal for that generation? Like the normalization of tattoos.

20. Oh Little Oji

That is a different perspective. That's not how I see it though. While personal "expression" has reached all-time highs in terms of one's body, when it comes to animals, their dignity and sanctity is held with utmost importance. I certainly do not see that cropping and docking is becoming more popular among younger people. By chance, have you read my thread "My Grim Fearful Prediction" ? My Grim, Fearful Prediction ?