Shaped Hold for Retrieve for AKC or IGP

We've been discussing training for AKC (or IGP) dumbbell retrieve on AJ's CDX thread. I didn't want to take away from @obbanner's great training job and congrats so thought I'd start a new thread & for thoughts on different methods. I'm a paying subscriber to Dave Kroyer and he has videos describing both a forced hold and a shaped hold for achieving a quiet, non-chompy hold and retrieve to front. I watched them both and the shaped method sounded promising for Ashas personality as I've taught her many things with click & food. I generally use part of her daily ration since I use this method a lot, and if I need more motivation I mix tasty treats in the food, and the most motivation of all is a ball or tug. For whatever reason this holding plastic is something that's been really hard to teach, she has a lack-luster interest and drops it frequently and isn't holding it tightly. It's been hard to use the ball for a reward as she can get overly amped up, but with lots of patience she has learned that STILLNESS is what makes the ball happen. Here are 4 short video clips of training yesterday, food rewards, holding it well, holding it sloppy, a little chewy sometimes, dropping it, changing to ball reward, testing self-control, ending with a couple of steps to "come fronts". She'd previously dropped the PVC at my voice saying front, then at one step movement like she couldn't do 2 things at once. I was really happy to see the her #4 where she stepped up to the front. This is a long process with zero corrections (hard for me & my personality), but I'm going to stick with it for a while longer. Comments & questions & discussion welcome!

1. Note a rather indifferent attitude on taking & holding

2. Eager to hold at front position, drops it on request to walk with it

3. Ball, self-control, big rewards for being still. Bonus: Cat photo-bomb @:15 (he'd been sitting on the table by the Igloo)

4. Yay! Moving into the come-front with a hold!

Hello,
I have been trying to train my girl and having difficulty. I have also been looking for a trainer that doesn't cost an arm and a leg in Houston.

I have been trying to train my girl and having difficulty. I have also been looking for a trainer that doesn't cost an arm and a leg in Houston.
Are you referring to this competition type retrieve, or general obedience training? How old is your dog & what are your goals? I agree, good trainers (and bad trainers for that matter) are expensive. Depending on your goals, group training can be a little less with the benefit of your dog having to learn and do work in the presence of other dogs & people. I'm extremely isolated, so I do a lot of lessons via the internet. That has drawbacks also, again, depends on your goals and your own motivation.

Back