• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Yubexine

Hi, everyone!

I apologize if this is maybe out of place or frowned upon.... I'm basically brand new to this forum and the Doberman world in general ๐Ÿ˜…...

Ive been doing a ton of research about what it takes to own a Doberman, as I've been in love with the breed my entire life (my aunt and uncle always owned a single female at any time) but have never owned one myself.... In fact I've never even bought a dog from a breeder before, so I feel clueless.

My biggest hang up is navigating how to find a breeder and how you're supposed to initiate contact with them? I feel fairly confident in being able to tell which ones are reputable or not based off what I've read here and other Doberman forums, it's just finding one in my area that is difficult.

I live in Western Kentucky and am seeking a black and rust male "pet quality" American Doberman. I don't have any plans to do shows or agility, just basic/advanced obedience, but the health testing matters to me more than anything (though I've read a lot about how titles in conformation are very important, though I honestly struggle to understand what that means).

And I'm not sure if it's taboo or not to discuss puppy prices but I am struggling to find seemingly reputable breeders near me that don't also charge upwards of $3-$4k for their puppies and that just isn't a realistic expectation for me at this time. I expected to pay $1500-$2000 or so based on what I've read? Is that reasonable for what I'm asking, or?

Sorry for all the questions and I hope nothing I asked was out of line!
Thanks in advance!

Welcome, and no worries!

I think you should be able to find something in your (very understandable) price range. Now, getting one for $1500 from a breeder who actually does health testing may be a challenge.

If I were you, I would think about being open to breeders from a broader geographical range. I'm not at all one for unnecessary travel, but you'll have a lot more options if you are willing to drive a few hours.

As far as I know, there is no rule that says we can't mention or talk about specific breeders on here. I live in Cincinnati, which for those of you who don't know, is just minutes away from Kentucky. One breeder just came to mind who, if she is still breeding, is located in eastern Cincinnati: Briarwood. I spoke to her when conducting my search for my current Dobe. I doubt there's any health testing, and one thing heard to be wary of with her is some have said she doesn't socialize and expose her pups to things in a beneficial way as many breeders do. She's an older woman, and may well be not breeding anymore. I don't know. Bear in mind that the socialization things I mentioned are just hearsay to me.

Thanks for your reply!

I was willing to drive around 4 hrs one way for a pup since I do live in a pretty remote area. For reference, I live about 3.5 hrs from Indianapolis and 1.5 hrs from Nashville.

I didn't really expect to find one that's health tested and cropped/docked for $1500, just that that was on the low end of what to expect haha. I was expecting closer to the $2k ish range, give or take. There's just not anybody I could find through Google around here that crops ears at all so that'd have to be a must before picking up the pup, so I do understand that cost comes into play and am willing to pay that.

I did find one breeder who looks promising and had seen a post or two about them before, but I have also heard of what I'd consider a "horror story" of breeders rejecting applications if you're a first time Dobie owner (though I'm not new to owning dogs or even big dogs) or rejecting you and just... not saying anything. ๐Ÿ˜… Not that I suppose they owe me a response, but I'll comb through my email for weeks on end waiting for a reply hahaha
I'm just anxious and excited!

Thanks for your reply!

I was willing to drive around 4 hrs one way for a pup since I do live in a pretty remote area. For reference, I live about 3.5 hrs from Indianapolis and 1.5 hrs from Nashville.

I didn't really expect to find one that's health tested and cropped/docked for $1500, just that that was on the low end of what to expect haha. I was expecting closer to the $2k ish range, give or take. There's just not anybody I could find through Google around here that crops ears at all so that'd have to be a must before picking up the pup, so I do understand that cost comes into play and am willing to pay that.

I did find one breeder who looks promising and had seen a post or two about them before, but I have also heard of what I'd consider a "horror story" of breeders rejecting applications if you're a first time Dobie owner (though I'm not new to owning dogs or even big dogs) or rejecting you and just... not saying anything. ๐Ÿ˜… Not that I suppose they owe me a response, but I'll comb through my email for weeks on end waiting for a reply hahaha
I'm just anxious and excited!
I understand how you feel.

I agree on the $2k ish range. I hope pup pricing stays in that range. Personally, when I see the $3k mark, I go nah.

Yes, it at least used to be a sign of a good breeder that they crop the ears; or at least it was a sign of bad breeder that they do not. I hope that is not changing. I have been looking into another breed for a few years now (a cropped breed) and it is by far more common in that breed for the ear cropping to come at an additional charge, or to not be offered by the breeder at all, leaving the buyer to find and procure cropping after taking possession of the pup.

On the getting a reply thing: Yep, as you've found, that's the way it is. I suppose breeders get a lot of email inquiries on an ongoing basis and it's time consuming to actually read them all and consider whether their authors have potential to be considered. That said, I have always held that if someone calls themselves a breeder and has a website that states that they offer dogs for sale, they do owe a reply to those who inquire. It would be easy for them to set up an automatic email reply that states that they are very busy and may not have time to personally reply, or that they will try to reply as soon as they can. An outgoing phone message of the same general nature would also be extremely easy to institute. Breeders just don't do this. They are the ones who have the power. They have what people want, and thus are in control. I would personally show a lot more respect for people; but that's just me.

I've seen many breeder websites that draw me in with statements like: Feel free to contact us with questions about our dogs and breeding program or about the breed in general! So, taking them (or their web designer) at their word, I've emailed them and... Crickets.

There is a popular breeder of a certain breed and they're just like 2-3 hours from me. I've emailed them. I actually got a reply, but it simply stated: "Where's your puppy application?" So, in some breeders' minds, that is the order of things: Pup app first, then try to contact them. So with this breeder, I told them that my puppy application would not go through, and I'd try again. I did so, and it went through. Months later, I contacted them and they said the don't know why they missed me, but please call and leave a message and that leaving a message will tell them that they need to call me back. I did that, and... Crickets. So, like a year or two later I called them and told them the month and year of my puppy application and asked if they might find it, and my prior emails and if I might be able to come visit their facility for like 20 minutes or 1/2 an hour. ...Crickets. It's really really frustrating.

Then, we could get into the more modern ways of contacting breeders like social media. I've actually gotten way more contact and interaction with breeders the past couple years or so this way. It may simply be I make a comment on an "insta" post of theirs, and they give a comment in reply. It is not often anything concrete or of substance, but I try to word my communications strategically so as to extract as much information out of them as possible. What I don't do is the cringe-worthy (but actually if you think about it, justified): "Price?" comment. That is literally the only word that some people type in their comment to a breeder. Heck, these days, most don't even use the question mark. :facepalm:

Yep, as you've found, that's the way it is. I suppose breeders get a lot of email inquiries on an ongoing basis and it's time consuming to actually read them all and consider whether their authors have potential to be considered. That said, I have always held that if someone calls themselves a breeder and has a website that states that they offer dogs for sale, they do owe a reply to those who inquire. It would be easy for them to set up an automatic email reply that states that they are very busy and may not have time to personally reply, or that they will try to reply as soon as they can. An outgoing phone message of the same general nature would also be extremely easy to institute. Breeders just don't do this. They are the ones who have the power. They have what people want, and thus are in control. I would personally show a lot more respect for people; but that's just me.

I've seen many breeder websites that draw me in with statements like: Feel free to contact us with questions about our dogs and breeding program or about the breed in general! So, taking them (or their web designer) at their word, I've emailed them and... Crickets.

There is a popular breeder of a certain breed and they're just like 2-3 hours from me. I've emailed them. I actually got a reply, but it simply stated: "Where's your puppy application?" So, in some breeders' minds, that is the order of things: Pup app first, then try to contact them. So with this breeder, I told them that my puppy application would not go through, and I'd try again. I did so, and it went through. Months later, I contacted them and they said the don't know why they missed me, but please call and leave a message and that leaving a message will tell them that they need to call me back. I did that, and... Crickets. So, like a year or two later I called them and told them the month and year of my puppy application and asked if they might find it, and my prior emails and if I might be able to come visit their facility for like 20 minutes or 1/2 an hour. ...Crickets. It's really really frustrating.

Then, we could get into the more modern ways of contacting breeders like social media. I've actually gotten way more contact and interaction with breeders the past couple years or so this way. It may simply be I make a comment on an "insta" post of theirs, and they give a comment in reply. It is not often anything concrete or of substance, but I try to word my communications strategically so as to extract as much information out of them as possible. What I don't do is the cringe-worthy (but actually if you think about it, justified): "Price?" comment. That is literally the only word that some people type in their comment to a breeder. Heck, these days, most don't even use the question mark. :facepalm:

I found the one I did through the DPCA website and all they had was a Facebook, so I messaged them, they emailed me their puppy application, I emailed them back with that filled out, and... nothing, yet. I may wait till they announce their next litter in a few months and then call them about my app? Would that be acceptable to do? I'm not really sure on what level of contact is normal.

It almost feels like I'm filling out job applications, come to think of it ๐Ÿ˜‚

I spent a year looking for a puppy and filled out many puppy apps. I also typed up my own bio of my dog experience, what I planned to do with the puppy, my fenced yard situation, current household members (humans, dog, cats) etc. Then I copy/pasted that to email with the app so I didn't have to keep writing it. I'd say at least 50% never replied at all. Being experienced at having my own business I at least expected a "Thank you, we'll keep you in mind" or "We don't have any plans for a litter right now, but we will notify you/put you on waiting list" ANYthing but silence! Never fear though, I have my puppy (now just turned 2) and she was worth the wait. Make up your mind what you want, stick to your plan, and eventually your perfect puppy will happen!

I really don't understand why even a decent pet-quality breeder would not have a few simple tests done for $2000 puppies. Embark (discounted through Doberman Diversity) will give you results for gene markers on every genetic disease of this breed and canines in general for less than $150. Hip/elbow OFA is a few hundred as is the Holter & Echo heart exams. Except the heart & I think thyroid tests, most are just a one time deal. So unless a breeder suspects or worse yet, knows, one or both of their breeding pair will fail or match unfavorably - like two carriers of vWD - these expenses are not that much when you think of a couple of litters. I'm not a breeder and I know there are many expenses involved that have nothing to do with testing, but I just don't see an excuse to not have it done.

Hi, everyone!

I apologize if this is maybe out of place or frowned upon.... I'm basically brand new to this forum and the Doberman world in general ๐Ÿ˜…...

Ive been doing a ton of research about what it takes to own a Doberman, as I've been in love with the breed my entire life (my aunt and uncle always owned a single female at any time) but have never owned one myself.... In fact I've never even bought a dog from a breeder before, so I feel clueless.

My biggest hang up is navigating how to find a breeder and how you're supposed to initiate contact with them? I feel fairly confident in being able to tell which ones are reputable or not based off what I've read here and other Doberman forums, it's just finding one in my area that is difficult.

I live in Western Kentucky and am seeking a black and rust male "pet quality" American Doberman. I don't have any plans to do shows or agility, just basic/advanced obedience, but the health testing matters to me more than anything (though I've read a lot about how titles in conformation are very important, though I honestly struggle to understand what that means).

And I'm not sure if it's taboo or not to discuss puppy prices but I am struggling to find seemingly reputable breeders near me that don't also charge upwards of $3-$4k for their puppies and that just isn't a realistic expectation for me at this time. I expected to pay $1500-$2000 or so based on what I've read? Is that reasonable for what I'm asking, or?

Sorry for all the questions and I hope nothing I asked was out of line!
Thanks in advance!
Hi

I found my pup at Doberman Breeder | Blue Skye Dobermans | United States | Louisiana

Natalie, the breeder is amazing and cost is between $2,200- 3,500 range depending on cropping or not, etc. They do provide shipping arrangements as well. All info about her process is on that website. She is also on FB and Instagram. We had a really good experience with her.

Good luck with your search! :)

I spent a year looking for a puppy and filled out many puppy apps. I also typed up my own bio of my dog experience, what I planned to do with the puppy, my fenced yard situation, current household members (humans, dog, cats) etc. Then I copy/pasted that to email with the app so I didn't have to keep writing it. I'd say at least 50% never replied at all. Being experienced at having my own business I at least expected a "Thank you, we'll keep you in mind" or "We don't have any plans for a litter right now, but we will notify you/put you on waiting list" ANYthing but silence! Never fear though, I have my puppy (now just turned 2) and she was worth the wait. Make up your mind what you want, stick to your plan, and eventually your perfect puppy will happen!

I really don't understand why even a decent pet-quality breeder would not have a few simple tests done for $2000 puppies. Embark (discounted through Doberman Diversity) will give you results for gene markers on every genetic disease of this breed and canines in general for less than $150. Hip/elbow OFA is a few hundred as is the Holter & Echo heart exams. Except the heart & I think thyroid tests, most are just a one time deal. So unless a breeder suspects or worse yet, knows, one or both of their breeding pair will fail or match unfavorably - like two carriers of vWD - these expenses are not that much when you think of a couple of litters. I'm not a breeder and I know there are many expenses involved that have nothing to do with testing, but I just don't see an excuse to not have it done.
Typing up my own bio sounds like a good idea, actually! I've never liked the idea of trying to judge a good home on basic questionnaires, so a written bio sounds like a good idea here.

Absolutely agreed on the health testing. It's an absolute must for me, especially knowing how prone the breed is to so many genetic health issues.

Hi

I found my pup at Doberman Breeder | Blue Skye Dobermans | United States | Louisiana

Natalie, the breeder is amazing and cost is between $2,200- 3,500 range depending on cropping or not, etc. They do provide shipping arrangements as well. All info about her process is on that website. She is also on FB and Instagram. We had a really good experience with her.

Good luck with your search! :)

I'm not seeing any health testing on any of their adults? Nor any titles. What are they doing with their dogs to prove them out to contribute to the breed and creating better offspring? I don't understand why breeders like this charge such steep prices and put nothing back into their breeding. Why would you need to charge that much with no health testing or trialing. Its not like any money is going into the dogs so then the cost of the puppies besides maybe some minimal vet care and feed goes to 100% profit.

I did the same as @Ravenbird . I typed a short bio about my personal life, my yard, potty setup, exercise plans, plans for my puppy's future, past experience with dogs, past experience with working with animals, etc. and mentioned that I wasn't initially interested in showing but wouldn't be opposed to it if the puppy turned out. I think this bio really helped the breeder get to know me more and cover anything their questionnaire might not have. And it showed I was serious enough to go out of my way to do that. Some breeders I had to follow up on after sending that out... some never responded. Two replied and we talked further. One questioned about my lack of fence but after talking further realized I was able to fully manage a high energy dog without one because of my prior experience. I was put on both of their waiting lists. One of the waiting lists was quite full so we were looking at a year+. The other had a puppy for me in 6 months.

Keep trying! It might be a good idea to attend some local akc shows or obedience/agility trials to get in touch with some dobermans in person. Most there will be from your area, you'll start seeing the same kennel names in front of the dog's name in the books. Try checking for a local DPCA chapter club too and see who they recommend. I know not everyone is on the breeder referral list and there are many reputable breeders that aren't. You can find a lot more at shows/trials! You could also ask a breeder that doesn't have any plans for an upcoming litter if they have a referral as a lot of doberman people know one another and are friends/acquaintances so they may point you in the direction of another litter they know of.

I'm not seeing any health testing on any of their adults? Nor any titles. What are they doing with their dogs to prove them out to contribute to creating better offspring? Sorry but I don't understand why such breeders charge such steep prices and put nothing back into their breeding.
Once we showed an interest, she emailed me in detail information on the litter, Sire and Dam Information including their health testing results. The cost includes: age appropriate shots/vaccines, worming, ears cropped (if requested) with Suture Removal and Posting started, tail docked, and microchip.

Once we showed an interest, she emailed me in detail information on the litter, Sire and Dam Information including their health testing results. The cost includes: age appropriate shots/vaccines, worming, ears cropped (if requested) with Suture Removal and Posting started, tail docked, and microchip.

This is on her FAQ page on the website

ARE YOUR DOGS HEALTH TESTED?

Yes, all of our adult dogs actively breeding have been DNA health tested for DM (Degenerative Myelopathy), vWD (von Willebrand's Disease) & DCM (Dilated Cardiomypathy).

Good to know. Thank you for replying. I'm used to breeders being very forward about health testing and advertising it upfront on the sire or dam's page. There is no reason not to, really! There are a few very important health tests missing though. Hips, elbows, eyes, thyroid, liver/kidney. At least they did buy the embark dna test... I'll give them that. That price is still steep for someone breeding pets.

Good to know. Thank you for replying. I'm used to breeders being very forward about health testing and advertising it upfront on the sire or dam's page. There is no reason not to, really! There are a few very important health tests missing though. Hips, elbows, eyes, thyroid, liver/kidney. At least they did buy the embark dna test... I'll give them that. That price is still steep for someone breeding pets.
your welcome

So, the purchase price does include ear cropping then (if requested)? So the variability in purchase price is due to whether the pup is deemed show quality I assume?

I see the males of her breeding program are taller than normally seen.

I hope you keep us along on your journey with your nice Dobe!

Back