Jasper is getting a sister

Well, she is a blanket sucker. Pretty cute. Its getting late so I don’t have a good video of it. But I managed to get a picture of hubby with both the dogs snuggled up to him. Almost time for bed.

Remi is going to the vets tomorrow for shots. I also suspect she has worms, I saw a couple very very small white things crawling in her poop. Ugh. Puppy class will be pushed back a little then I believe they require a negative fecal.

9E7A603E-071B-47FF-BC3C-156832F1ACEA.webp
 
I did take her to my work today (police station). Unfortunately the guys were busy on the road but she got to meet a dispatcher and one of my Lieutenants. My LT is allergic to anything with fur so he just said she was cute and left it at that LOL
 
Its so hard to get a picture of the two of them. Ill admit Remi is pretty dumb compared to a dobie pup LOL. Takes about five or six times to make her STAY in the sit position for a treat lol. But I knew that mastiffs, danes in particular, have selective hearing.

My husband Adam, he is the best. He didn’t want a giant breed but knew I have always wanted one. But I told him this female was probably going to become his bonded dog.
14BB37AD-D9BA-47CC-BBE5-40FEDC213E89.webp

I am watching her legs closely for knuckling and HOD. Something danes are very prone to getting. She is doing just fine. But I hear their growth spurts are between 4-6mths.
3D67C170-BDB7-474C-8358-496837DF6390.webp
 
I think she is growing? Its hard to tell because I see her every day. I wish I had a dog scale. I am finding that she is getting heavy when I carry her outside in the middle of the night. She is now 9weeks old today. Probably about 22lbs.

We have started to do recall training but its hard. She isn’t food motivated and not really toy motivated. So I am working out how to get her attention. I can clap and do the puppy talk and she ignores me. Lol! NOTHING like an eager dobie pup.
A1B1E784-AA14-4869-9FE5-55D3E233C1BF.webp
 
Ragnar was like that….so much interested in everything else but me. So fricking hard, to train- just took a ton of time and effort everyday after work. I used a 100’ line a lot in his younger years and then the ECollar sealed the deal when he was old enough to understand.

Freyja is the only animal that I’ve ever had that was eager to please. Always at your side looking for the next command, so she was and still is much easier.
 
Jasper was super easy because he loved fetch. But this girl is stubborn as heck. I can’t even stand at the patio door and call her inside. I literally have to pick her up or she will ignore me despite anything I try. Its very frustrating.

Maybe ill start using my long line even for potty breaks. Pain in the butt. I can’t remember how old Jasper was when I started using the ecollar but this girl is definitely going to need it. I just need to grab her attention, otherwise I feel like I am talking to a wall.
 
Yeah, at her age I'd def not take her outside without a leash or line. Every.single.time you call & she ignores you is reinforcing her belief that your voice doesn't matter too much. Without much food or toy drive makes it harder, and also you've got that bonding with Jasper going on which can seal the deal that you aren't as fun as him. Try to do lots with her without Jasper involved. Training and playing with her separately is really important. I think @Ddski5 will agree! Not wanting to tell you how to train, just thought I'd put it out there! I'm loving your photos and stories, we're with you on this!
 
Wow is she growing!
Freyja is the only animal that I’ve ever had that was eager to please. Always at your side looking for the next command, so she was and still is much easier.
All of our Dobermans have been eager to please but Phoebe is the first one that's really treat driven. At first our trainer said she likes to train without treats so they don't get too dependent on them, then she changed her mind and said she's (Phoebe) learning so fast with them that we'll start her out on them and mostly wean her off as time progresses.
 
@Ravenbird is absolutely correct with many things in there:

1. Whenever you recall, the more you are stern and consistent with it the faster it should come. That’s why using a long line is recommended- make the command and if she does not follow through, then use the line to pull/coax her to you. I’ve read and talk to some trainers say that the only time they use the dogs name is during recall- the ONLY time…. Both of those points are more difficult to do than said but if you are OCD about it and discipline, I bet it works great. And NEVER ever call her to you mad…

2. It’s sooo hard to work with her separately, the extra time and then it completely leaves Ragnar out of the picture. It should be a must and you really need to work it in the schedule somewhere, somehow to do it right. If you do it now, then you will negate some problemsome issues that may develop in the future like her focusing on Jasper rather than you when you are out and about. Freyja most definitely focuses on Ragnar when we are out but she knows that I am alpha and first in line so she listens and watches me but focuses on Ragnar. That’s my fault, need to spend more time with her 1:1. She will adhere to what I want but if I free her?? Ragnar is in trouble because she is coming full bore at him.

Disclaimer: don’t mean to insult your intelligence if you know the above info.
 
Yeah, at her age I'd def not take her outside without a leash or line. Every.single.time you call & she ignores you is reinforcing her belief that your voice doesn't matter too much. Without much food or toy drive makes it harder, and also you've got that bonding with Jasper going on which can seal the deal that you aren't as fun as him. Try to do lots with her without Jasper involved. Training and playing with her separately is really important. I think @Ddski5 will agree! Not wanting to tell you how to train, just thought I'd put it out there! I'm loving your photos and stories, we're with you on this!

Thanks! Hopefully she will catch on. I do work with her separately, I leave Jasper home and take her to a grassy field. Same place I started out Jasper. Just not sure how to go about making her want to come to me when I call her. I even tried boiled chicken with a 50/50 chance she even eats it. Hard to praise a puppy who doesn’t care about much besides chewing on grass. LOL!
 

Back
Top