Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Docking, cropping and other acts of barbarism

Discussion in 'Canine News/Informative Articles' started by FredC, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

Not to go off Topic to much, Yes DV i had a lift, i'm to young to have my boobs on my knees [​IMG] and i'm pierced and both didn't really hurt :p

• Like Like x 4
  2. Katja Henriksen

Katja Henriksen Forum Sponsor Site Sponsor

:rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  3. TrinityDobes

TrinityDobes Novitiate

If its a 20lb dog I have indeed tried that, but with a 80 or 90lb doberman - no freaking way - I can barely lift a 50Lb bag of feed ! *LOL that is where you men have us women at an advantage! Which is why you have to know your limitations and have a plan "C" when Plan A, and then Plan B do not work[​IMG]
    Yes I do have BROAD Experience as in Big, Busty, Bodacious Broad experience[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  4. bhr

bhr Novitiate

Im gonna chime in here on this friendly debate :) ........ I think we should always be able to have a choice....as far as cruel goes, well I have had a few dogs cropped and everyone came home playing and never missing a beat! They will be careful and take care of themselves. Done at the proper age, pain is so minimal. A dogs reaction to pain would be obvious, unlike us when are in pain. We know how to suck it up and in some cases knock ourselves out till it's over, LOL [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  5. JerriCat

JerriCat New Member

Sorry, also.. I was wondering about the raw diet. I found some dog foods that have the ingredients I like... but seriously considering the raw diet. Any insights? lol

6. TrinityDobes

TrinityDobes Novitiate

JerriCat, welcome to the forum -I hope you will go to the Introduction Forum and do an offical introduction as most members won't see this first post and be able to give you the warm welcome we all enjoy handing out to new members. Also be prepared for the group to demand puppy photos like yesterday *LOL* we live for the new member sto post up their puppy photos and share their new puppy adventures with us.

I think if you read all 9 pages of this thread you will see the pro's and con's covered pretty well with regard to Docking and Cropping and should answer your question.

As for the ear acne you are describing we would really need a photo, and again - you will get the most responses and best help if you start a new post in the Doberman Health Forum. I've bred raised dobes or almost 30 years and just can't picture what you are describing. To provide good suggestions and help we really would need a photo.

Again Welcome to the Doberman Chat Family!

• Like Like x 3
  7. TrinityDobes

TrinityDobes Novitiate

JerriCat - here is a very good thread that had a lot of discussion on both sides of the Raw Food Debate which should help answer your questions - if not then please feel free to start a new thread and ask away
    http://www.doberman-chat.com/commun...-so-hard-for-the-neophyte-to-understand.8258/

• Like Like x 3
  8. headpatrolman

headpatrolman Jr Member

To throw in my two cents. Like others here have said I would not have been interested in Doberman's and purchased one if it were not for the look of the breed. I realize the look ( Cropped and docked ) is not natural but to me it is how a dobe should look. If cropping and docking were to be made illegal, I will not own another doberman. I believe they look not only alert and imposing but regal and stately with cropped ears and docked tails. I too believe it orginally served a fuctional purpose for the dogs uses in military and law enforcement work. I am in love with what I call the classic look of the Doberman Pinscher ( cropped and docked ) I do not have anything against floppy eared, long tailed dobermans or those who choose to leave their pets unaltered.

As for cruel and Barbaric, I think that is going a little far. My dogs tail was done when he was three days old and he does not remember the tail or the surgery, I am sure. As for the ears, they were cropped at 9 weeks and he was as playful as ever post surgery. I, like millions if males around the world was circumcised as an infant. I neither remember the utterly traumatic, cruel and barbaric process, nor do I miss the foreskin I am now apparently lacking. This procedure is done for religeous and asthetic reasons and serves no real purpose but again it happened to me as an infant so who cares. In the same way, my Tiki has no clue he was supposed to have floppy ears and a long tail. He does not remember the surgery or any pain associated with it and has no concept of what he would look like unaltered.

I think what most people are missing here is that we are talking about dogs . I love my dog as much as the next dog lover, but at no time do I loose touch with the fact that he is an animal and does not have the cognative abilities of a human being. Dogs do not have to suffer social insecurities or stigma. In the end they are dogs and in my humble opinion I feel a perspective should have the say in wether they want the natural look of the animal or the classic cropped and docked look. To me it is personal prefference. I have a brother who has a boxer with a docked tail and natural ears. He wanted the tail docked but chose not to have the ears cropped. His choice and the dog has never complained to my knowledge.

• Like Like x 8
  9. headpatrolman

headpatrolman Jr Member

One more note. The Vets who find cropping and docking to be cruel and barbaric are the same vets who spout on at no end about spaying and neutering of your pet. I am not trying to start another debate here but but the nuetering of a male dog has to be just as barbaric as docking its tail or cropping its ears. I realize this is in response to the untolled amounts of unwanted dogs and cats born every day. I personally just promote resposible oet ownership. I have owned male dogs my whole life, none of which were neutered and none of which fathered / sired any pups. My dogs have never gotten off my property unattended and will not because my property is fenced properly and my dog is not left unattended for lengths of time that would allow him to escape my property. As for the argument that it promotes better health, I am on the opposite side of that as well. I do realize if the dog is nuetered it eliminates the chances of testicular cancer thats a given. I also am aware that studies show a nuetered dog has a lower chance of getting prostate cancer. I assume this would be the same in human males but I don't see men lining up to get castrated in an effort to avert a future diagnosis of testicular or prostate cancer. Again just my opinion.

• Like Like x 5
  10. TrinityDobes

TrinityDobes Novitiate

Head Patrolman - great posts, Its obvoious you have done your researh and made your choice based on what is best for YOU!

• Like Like x 2
  11. bhr

bhr Novitiate

AMEN!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 4
  12. JerriCat

JerriCat New Member

Sorry for the late response. Here are some of the best pictures I got of my boy's ears.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I thought it could be cat scratch disease, because my cat took a good swipe at his ear, but that wouldn't explain why it's in both ears. She's an inside cat, but when I fostered a kitten several years ago, the kitten had fleas when I first took him in and the fleas infected my cat. She's been flea-free for a couple years..

The reason I thought it could be CSD is due to the fleas, her using a litter box, and when his vet did a full exam, his lymph node had a spot on it. She did say it could be due to his ears being inflammed. I've since then kept them clean.

From here on, I'll keep this in it's own thread.

Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TrinityDobes

TrinityDobes Novitiate

JerriCat - no worries - its sometimes hard to know where to post and how to get started - the main thing is to get you some helpful responses!

That to me looks like a possible skin irritation or response to what ever you are putting in the ears to post them. Could be the tape or the glue? those look more like blisters to me than acne. I've never seen anything like it - so hope someone else can chime in and be more helpful.

14. Teufelhund in AZ

Teufelhund in AZ Active Member

Jerricat~ My girl had something very similar after her first couple of postings along with some other reaction-like issues. I bought an outrageously priced human product called Cavilon No Sting Barrier Spray. It was almost $20.00 for a measly 28ml! It sprays a fine mist and seems like it will last a very longtime. I have found the adhesive remover works ten times faster and Jasmine's ears are healthy and clear when the posts are removed. I bought the stuff at a medical supply store here in my town but it can be ordered off the Internet. Since I started using the spray (about four postings ago) she hasn't had any problems at all.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sharon Burke

Sharon Burke New Member

Choice! As you can see in my pic here, my Madison has cropped ears, although, not very successfully, and my Lexi does not. I gave it a lot of thought with Lexi, but since I was working so much at this time, I new I couldn't take care of her ears through cropping, so I chose not to do it. I do, however, prefer the cropped look. Lexi has been mistaken for a greyhound and a wiemaraner. But she is still beautiful, and those flops are sooo soft :love:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Katja Henriksen

Katja Henriksen Forum Sponsor Site Sponsor

Well maybe they should. Men are funny about their balls. What's the big deal??? LOL

17. rachael

rachael Notable member

For me i dont like the cropped ears. I like big floppy ears. my personal preferance. But im a firm believer in the tail docking. Dobes have such a thin tail (for their size) that when they wag and boy do they wag it gets split and cut on everything. I know of 1 boy that was undocked as his owners wanted a undocked boy (before the ban came into force in the uk). he had problems from just about day 1 with wakking it on everything as he went around wagging. He had 2 surgeries to replair his tail. 3rd time he was lucky to survive. Owners put him to bed and off to bed they went. When they woke up their dining room was a blood bath. Blood everywhere. At some point in the night he had waked his tail and it just split one of the scars open. More by luck that judgement he had sat on it and it stopped the bleeding. He ended up having his tail docked at 2years old. Owners wernt happy about this but its something they had to do as it was just going to keep happening. they know see that docking can be a good thing.

18. DoUrden

DoUrden Novitiate

Dobes have more of a lab tail as a whole. Generally, a fine boned dog has a fine tail, a thick boned dog has a thick tail. I've had natural dogs now for almost 8 years and have NEVER had a tail injury of any kind. I do conformation, obedience, rally, and a whole lot of protection work with my dogs and they have been fine. Of course, they have very thick tails also though....

20110417_19.JPG 20100330_18.JPG Got_teeth.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  19. rachael

rachael Notable member

All the dobes tails that ive seen (in the uk) all have greyhound type tails. Just by looking at your 3 piks ive never seen a dobe with that thicker tail.Would be good if they all had that kinda tail rather than these whip things they seem to have here

• Like Like x 2
  20. DoUrden

DoUrden Novitiate

Rachael, alot of it depends on the breeding and heritage of the dog in question. I breed 'working' dobermanns so they are generally thicker boned and stockier than the 'show' doberman pinchers normally bred here in the US. They are also generally shorter than those 'show' dobes too.

• Like Like x 2