Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Docking, cropping and other acts of barbarism

Discussion in 'Canine News/Informative Articles' started by FredC, Apr 3, 2009.

1. rachael

rachael Notable member

To be honest i see a lot of thick set dobes with the whip tails as i call them but then i also see the finer dobes with the same type of tail. Maybe its more of the english breeding. Obviously its not something weve taken into account as theyve just got docked so we wernt breeding for thick tails as there was no need to take them into account if that makes sence.

Im not as into the dobe as a breed since we lost our doggies and im now wanting to get back into the swing of it all. Maybe as i do i will see more of your tail types but at present i stick with who i know and theres are all whip tails some are big some or finer types.

2. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Slightly off topic here, but I was just wondering if there is this much controversy with the other cropped breeds:

Affenpinscher:
    American Staffordshire Terrier:
    Boston Terrier
    Bouvier des Flandres:
    Boxer Briard
    Brussels Griffon
    Doberman Pinscher
    German Pinscher
    Giant Schnauzer
    Great Dane
    Manchester Terrier
    Miniature Pinscher
    Miniature Schnauzer
    Neapolitan Mastiff
    Standard Schnauzer
    Or all the Docked breeds:

SPORTING BREEDS Brittany, German Shorthaired Pointer
    German Wirehaired Pointer, Clumber Spaniel, Cocker Spaniel, English Cocker Spaniel
    English Springer Spaniel, Field Spaniels, Spinone Italiano, Sussex Spaniel, Vizsla, Weimaraner Welsh Springer Spaniel, Wirehaired Pointing Griffon
    TERRIER BREEDS
    Airedale Terrier, Australian Terrier, Fox Terrier
    Glen of Imaal Terrier, Irish Terrier, Kerry Blue Terrier
    Lakeland Terrier, *Miniature Schnauzer, Norfolk Terrier, Norwich Terrier
    Parson Russell Terrier, Sealyham Terrier, Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, Welsh Terrier WORKING BREEDS
    *Boxer
    Black Russian Terrier
    *Doberman Pinscher
    *German Pinscher
    *Giant Schnauzer
    *Rottweiler *Standard Schnauzer
    TOY BREEDS
    *Affenpinscher *Brussels Griffon Cavalier King Charles Spaniel English Toy Spaniel *Miniature Pinscher Poodle (Toy) Silky Terrier
    Toy Fox Terrier Yorkshire Terrier
    HERDING BREEDS
    Australian Shepherd (often bobtailed) *Bouvier des Flanders Old English Sheepdog (often bobtailed) PembrokeWelshCorgi (often bobtailed)
    Bobtail = Born with naturally short tail
    NON-SPORTING BREEDS
    Miniature Poodle
    Standard Poodle
    Schipperke
    * Denotes breeds that are typically Cropped & Docked in the USA

• Like Like x 5
  3. Panama

And yes, the Schipperke is a DOCKED breed.
    From the AKC Standard: The croup is broad and well-rounded with the tail docked.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Oh, don't get me started, Pan! lol

• Like Like x 1
  5. Panama

I was just wondering if all the breeds that are Cropped or Docked (or both) have such a difference of opinion.

• Like Like x 3
  6. MyBuddy

I know, I know.....I've thought it too! ;)

Sometimes I think most folks don't even know what breeds are cropped/docked....so the list is good. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Casi

Casi Notable member

Within APBTs there is pretty much the same differing opinions on cropping. Most pet owners don't want their dogs looking anymore fierce than they already do to John Q Public while show owners don't mind cropping if a pup comes out with any ear but the rose ear. I would crop both a Doberman and an American Pit Bull Terrier. I think they look very sharp when cropped and if anyone is afraid of them because of their looks, then its their loss. The only reason Saint's ears aren't cropped are because I didn't want to spend $400 on a surgery that might not stand due to incompetence on my part on how to post. I don't like a tail on a Doberman. I think it disrupts the beautifully built body with this little whippy thing hanging off.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Katja Henriksen

Katja Henriksen Forum Sponsor Site Sponsor

Casi, how many tails have you seen? It's all about what you are used to, believe me.

Rachel, my girls are from the UK, they have their tails, and I have NEVER had any problems. They generally cary them over their backs so they don't whack it. I have not heard any of the other people that have Dobies from our breeder or the breeder themselves having any tail issues either. We have a whole forum of our own and no one has ever mentioned tail issues. None of the dogs have wispy tails either. I also have not seen the wispy tails you mention. Maybe you can post a picture for us to see?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Denissov43

Denissov43 Notable member

Wow... sounds like a whole lotta docking going on!! Ya know I never ever sat down and did a evaluation like this of the massive amout of breeds whose tails are docked and whose ears are cropped...
    that is pretty danged impressive work, Panama!! :))

• Like Like x 4
  10. Panama

• Like Like x 3
  11. MyBuddy

Haha....that's what I thought when I first saw that list (I think last year, on this same thread! lol) Even I was surprised at some breeds that I didn't know where C/D! My first thought was that without it, all breeds would look alike. Ick.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Katja Henriksen

OK so if all breeds were cropped and docked wouldn't they look alike then??? I'm pretty sure it's more than the ears and tails that makes them look different! ;)

13. MyBuddy

Good point! Only they are all c/d a bit differently from each other and not all are c/d . So there is a bit of individuality.

14. Katja Henriksen

Well how about confirmation, color, coat, size etc etc. LOL

15. MyBuddy

Haha....I know where you're going with this and I laugh because I 'get it', but I wish I could photoshop all the breeds with lapped ears and long tails..... even with their different confirmation, color, coat, size, etc. etc. IMO I still think they would all loose their individuality and standard of breed. Honestly, I'm 58 years old and it wasn't until last year (here on DCF) that I heard so much controversy on c/d! I know it's because of the diversity of people, opinions and 'world news' that one is subject to on a forum, unlike being in my own little world, but still. All my life the look (standard) of each breed is what set them apart and made them the breed that they are. It's all I've known! And it does set them apart. It makes them recognizable to the breed that they are. Wherever this all started, I think it started by someone or group that suddenly deemed it cruel. After all these years. wtf? IMO the world is ALL too politically correct. It's like messing with tradition. Things go along great, until one person gets a bug up their butt and suddenly the world gets behind them and wants to change everything that has been in place for a hundred years. I think it will be a sad day if c/d becomes 'extinct'. It doesn't even make me mad as much as sad. Because the Doberman (and other breeds) that I have loved for so long would be no longer.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Katja Henriksen

I understand where you are coming from and I appreciate it. :)

• Like Like x 1