Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Doberman ear posting - improved method

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by JanS, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Yes.

Remember, though, that you have to insert the posts nice and deep into the ear (it will not hurt the inner parts of the ear) and pull up on the ears as you wrap the tape around the ears and to the posts. You want the ears stretched up onto the posts. Of course, we are talking within reason – too much force would be bad.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dhruv Ellawadi

Dhruv Ellawadi New Member

okayy thankyou :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Prushanks

Prushanks Hot Topics Subscriber

Quick posting question! The torbot company makes a product called Skin Tac and I was wondering if this would work as well for adhesive and if so, has anyone used it?
    IMG_1230.PNG

4. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

I've never used it but I did a quick google and all I'm getting is that it's an adhesive barrier. Is an adhesive barrier different than adhesive bonding/cement? I don't know but maybe something to look into further.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  5. Prushanks

I was reading the reviews and if I understand it properly, it works like applying the Torbots to the skin (allowing it to get tacky) which allows the "back-taped" backer rod to stick better.. but not sticking directly to skin... so the Skin Tac like the cement and is what's actually touching the skin, instead of the tape... so it's a barrier that is also adhesive... sort of like double sided tape.. I think?

6. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

Sounds like it would work. Since it's the same manufacturer I'd call customer service and ask them to explain their differences and their adhesive strengths.

7. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

If you're back taping too I would think it would work. Otherwise I'm thinking it wouldn't hold as well as the Torbot's if you don't back tape.

8. Prushanks

I posted elsewhere but I wanted to update with my experience! This stuff is awesome! Highly recommend! A note though, it works with the adhesive tape so you still backtape backer rod. :thumbsup:

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. vachita

vachita New Member

I'm needing some help! The vet has shown us how to apply the backer rod method with reverse tape sticky side out and taping the whole ear.. They last about two days till she works them off!! How can we get her to leave them alone or better taping method? Help!

Attached Files:

10. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

Have you viewed any of the posting videos on this forum? Unfortunately some of the vets are not the best at posting. (My previous vet made a horrible mess of posting.) That looks like too much tape and if she is able to shake them out with that much tape the posts are probably not deep enough. Check out some of the videos on here. That should help.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. JanS

Welcome!
    I totally agree with what @My2Girls said in the above post.
    If you're back taping, here's a good video tutorial and as stated, it's important to get them as deep into the canal as you can. You can't hurt them the way their ear canal is shaped.
    How to Post Cropped Ears (Video)

12. vachita

vachita New Member

Thanks you two for quick responses! Yes we have watched videos and have noticed less tape being used. We will be doing our own posting for the first time on Monday.. Will be watching the video you shared!! Thank you!! U think just tape on bottom and a piece on top will do? That's what I have noticed more

• Like Like x 1
  13. vachita

vachita New Member

Awesome video!! thank you!! Will be following their directions and not what the vet showed

• Like Like x 2
  14. JanS

Yes, that works best with the 1" tape and no wider. We're always here to answer questions if you have them as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. vachita

vachita New Member

More help needed! I've done the new method and love it, it's much better! Thank you! But she has now figured out how to pop the Rod out at the base :-( any help suggestions with that :-( tia

16. JanS

Usually they can't get them out if they're pushed far enough into the canal. What size backer rod are you using?

17. vachita

vachita New Member

I think I'm pushing them far in till they can go any further.. Push and Twist in till they stop. Cutting a V shape off the bottom like a video someone suggested, so tapered bottom tht goes in her ear.. Maybe that's the problem? And we r using 5/8 backer rod

18. JanS

I don't think you need to taper it as long as the rod fits into the canal and you're right, it could be the problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. seven

seven New Member