Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Doberman ear posting - improved method

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by JanS, Sep 1, 2011.

1. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I still use a wrap of tape around the top and bottom but that holds it in place nicely. Like I said in the first post here, the most important thing is to wait a few minutes for the glue to dry until it's barely tacky to the touch or it won't hold as well.

• Like Like x 1
  2. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Thank you ... I'm nervous lol

3. JanS

LOL don't be nervous. It's virtually the same as the back taping method, but you just use adhesive so once you figure out how long to let the adhesive dry you'll be set to go.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  4. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Great informative post. Thank you. It's been 12 yrs. since I have had to do posting so this is perfect for me since the pups ears will be done on the 18th of May. Thanks again for this illustrated method!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tropicalbri's

@JanS @Archer I am changing the pups posts out every two days. I was going to try and do it every 3 days but they get so dirty playing I just can't stand to see the posts dirty. I have been putting a light single 4" vet wrap on the ears just to keep the tape clean and I can change that a couple times a day as needed to keep tape and ears free of dirt.
    Is this too often? Their ears are healthy, fully healed from crop and there is no redness so I felt it was safe, although they run when they see the new posts being made. Lol but I lure them back and give them a treat for coming to me and a treat after the posting is complete. Let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance!
    :)

6. JanS

I don't think every two days is too often but like I said, it's probably not necessary if the dirt is just on the outside. I know it bugs us to see them dirty though. ;) I personally don't like to use the Vet wrap but it probably doesn't hurt anything if it helps keep the posts clean.

7. Tropicalbri's

I only have it on the front (sticky part) of the post. It is the only way I can keep the garden dirt off the posts. They are having a grand time digging.:mad:
    But if you think I shouldn't do it I will remove it.
    Thanks !!

8. JanS

Oh that's not a problem then. I was thinking you meant you wrap the whole ear with it like many people do.

9. Tropicalbri's

No just the sticky post. I did wrap the whole ear the first time but it curled up and I removed it for fear of it becoming too tight as it rolled up. They both will fall asleep when I finally get them up on the table and remove the old posts and clean their ears. I just give them a massage after I clean the ears and am waiting for them to dry. I am amazed at how calm they are. Lol
    :)

10. Tropicalbri's

I have to say @JanS your method of posting has made my life with their ears a cake walk. It works so well and is easy to do. I did have to use bumpers for Bogie because of pockets but they are looking good and the bumper seems to be correcting that issue.
    Anyway just wanted to say thanks for sharing this method, it's great!!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  11. JanS

I'm glad it's working out for you.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Keisha

Keisha Novitiate

13. Keisha

Keisha Novitiate

This is an excellent method. Could you do this on the outside of the ear vs inside. My prior vet put foam between the ears after cropping them and glued the ears to them. This allowed the stitches to breath and the ears straight up. I have a new doberman puppy and never liked the taping so the glue looks like a way better solution.

14. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Welcome!

I wrote a few words speaking to your question over in the adhesive thread :)

Hopefully someone who has personally done the taping of ears to a piece of foam or styrofoam cups on the head so that the incision line is left untaped will chime in with specific instructions.

15. JanS

Welcome! I know @Archer knows how to do the cup method so maybe she could give you more info on it.

16. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Yeah, the cup method would work as would the ziptie method. If the sutures are out, the ziptie method would be a better option. I can walk you through either method

• Like Like x 1
  17. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

You can only do it on the inside of the ear

18. Dhruv Ellawadi

Dhruv Ellawadi New Member

If we dont cover the whole of the ear , wouldnt it affect ear erection? Like we are only strengthening the tip and the base but not the middle of the ear

My boy has a somewhat weak ear cartilage and the ear flops down from the middle , so isnt it necessary for me to post the middle part too?

Too late to ask sorry :))

• Like Like x 1
  19. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Hi! If you're using posts, the whole ear will be supported.

20. Dhruv Ellawadi

Dhruv Ellawadi New Member

So the tape at the tip and the base ( when i am using backer rods) Will do the the job?