Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Doberman ear posting - improved method

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by JanS, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Have you tried telling your breeder that you want your puppy to have its natural ears? I don’t see why they would insist if you, as a committed and pre-approved buyer, would prefer that. I would try asking first, even if the breeder website states otherwise. If they insist to crop, you could request a medium crop, often times those ears don’t require a very long posting time compared to longer ear crops.

My personal belief is that if a dog has been put through the surgery, it’s our obligation as owners to post the ears. Unposted, the ears will do whatever they want. Sometimes one will stand, sometimes both will flop, impossible to predict as each dog is unique.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Gpcoguy

Gpcoguy Jr Member

Am I doing something wrong? I've read and watched everything I can about ear posting. I. Do the backer rod method but Rose pops the bottoms out of her ears. Is this common? Is it ok to just pop them back in or should I repost when this happens? It's been a long time but if , I recall with my first Dobe I would just put them back in and her ears turned out nicely

3. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

The rods popping out is not that uncommon. I'd pop them back in, and certainly not automatically re-post just because of it – provided everything else looks okay.

Oji here popped his posts out regularly and it was a pain!! The thing that caused it with him is he would bend the posts by laying on them. At one point I was wrapping the stupid posts in 6 layers of duct tape + the white tape. STILL he bent the posts. We never got past it. Mercifully, his ears just happened to be done posting it turned out – this after he experienced irritation from the duct taped contacting the skin so I had to stop posting for a while. We happened to be good to go.

But in your case, please make sure the posts are pushed down nice and deep into the ears. This won't injure the ears. Push down on the posts and twist the posts back and forth, settling them down in there. (Make sure the base of the posts are such that they won't irritate the ears. Some folks taper them a bit. Some put a layer of gauze down there.)

Simultaneously, pull up on the ears. When you get the posts down in there and have the ears pulled up, that's when you apply the tape at the top of the ears, capturing it in this position. Then, apply the 2nd piece of tape at the skull level.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gpcoguy

Gpcoguy Jr Member

I do all that. They usually pop out when she has a toy and shakes her head violently. Glad to hear popping them back in rather than reposting is a viable option. Thanks for the response

• Like Like x 1
  5. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I too have just popped them back in as long as everything else looks okay. Albert has always slept in the goofiest positions and in many cases it was on his ears making it much easier to pop a post out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AnnV

AnnV $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

For the benefit of others it was suggested that I share the content of my post from a New member thread (OP) of July 8, 2020.
    Administrators: let me know if should I post this in a new thread or another thread?

"The only thing I can say about ear posting is that my boy, amazingly, was done with his ears already at 17 weeks of age.
    I couldn't quite believe it!, but I trusted an experienced vet tech to do all the postings.
    4-5 days with posts, then remove, clean and air out for as much as 2-3 days. Totally contrary to most of what I have read elsewhere.

Dr. Robert Hutchison at Northview Animal Clinic in OH also said how soon or how well ears stand is genetic.
    Biomolecular and cellular structure properties of the cartilage.

I was really surprised when told it was good to leave the posts out for two to three days, as opposed to 15-30 minutes.
    The tech (at the same mentioned clinic) said she had posted ears for many many years, and that the posts work like crutches. Meaning that going without crutches some of the time strengthens rather than weakens. "

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

It's fine here since it's the same topic.

It's great your boys ears stood so nicely doing it that way but it could/would fail with many pups with thicker cartilages and different crops.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1