Barn Hunt Chat

I know you must be bummed about the pee
Last month at the FDC trial one of the first dogs to do the course peed on the bale and a bunch of others didn't qualify because of it since no marking is allowed. Someone was calling for a new bale but that wouldn't be fair to the others who already went through the course.
 
Congratulations!!! You and Remy will learn with each experience, and I know you must be bummed about the pee, but you'll get there.
Thank you! It’s a little disappointing, but mostly because I don’t want that to become a bad habit. He seems to enjoy barn hunt so I don’t want that to be the reason why he can’t do it. I’m hoping with more experience/training he’ll stop.
Pretty soon you'll be adding his name & titles to your signature here 😜
Lol I should do that soon! He’ll get his BCAT and CA later this fall, and possibly some scent work titles this winter.
 
Last month at the FDC trial one of the first dogs to do the course peed on the bale and a bunch of others didn't qualify because of it since no marking is allowed. Someone was calling for a new bale but that wouldn't be fair to the others who already went through the course.
I don't know about trial rules, but it seems like a stack of fresh bales would be available to change out immediately if one got contaminated. When I went to a BH intro class the teacher announced a $$ fine to any dog that marked the bales. I can't recall exactly how much it was, but it was in place to imply the importance of preventing it! Those bales are not cheap and once peed on have to be discarded from BH area.The teacher had a her classes at her house on a large city lot, so no real barn, garden or place to use bad bales for stall bedding or mulch.

It’s a little disappointing, but mostly because I don’t want that to become a bad habit. He seems to enjoy barn hunt so I don’t want that to be the reason why he can’t do it. I’m hoping with more experience/training he’ll stop.
Since they're off leash in the hunt you have no way to call him off in trial except verbal, right? I would practice on your daily leashed walks. Can't remember if you have an e-collar, but the prong should be enough. I know he has sniff walks and is (and should be) allowed to have some time to sniff, BUT, your command to leave it, should be the point. Doesn't matter if it's pee or a tossed hamburger on the ground, when you say leave it and he lingers on it then you can correct him. At his age and training level he will understand that he's being corrected for ignoring "leave it". Don't say it twice, just "leave it" and if he hesitates, correct and move him away from that spot at a brisk pace. If he immediately obeys, a "Yes!" and a treat would be in order, but again, move briskly away from the spot, so that "leave it" literally means "get away from that". When the verbal command is learned without fail it *should* also work in trial. Also this will work in scent work trials when you get past Novice and they set distractions in with the hides, you are allowed to say "leave it" if he picks up a toy. I think Remy is already good about this generally, but proofing on pee and off leash brings it to a really tough level of obedience! In scent work (whether oils, rats or explosives) they have a phrase called "odor obedience" which means all odors have to be ignored except the one they are looking for!
 
Since they're off leash in the hunt you have no way to call him off in trial except verbal, right? I would practice on your daily leashed walks. Can't remember if you have an e-collar, but the prong should be enough.
Yes, you can’t interfere by touching them in any way. I have a prong and e-collar but don’t use the e-collar much so I’d probably need to touch up on some training with it.

I’ll have to start working on it more with him. I guess I never really cared too much, but now that we’re doing this I’ll need to!
 
I’ll have to start working on it more with him. I guess I never really cared too much, but now that we’re doing this I’ll need to!
Yeah, you start doing sports and then realize what you've got to work on besides the sport itself.

If you can keep the mindset that you're teaching a "leave it" to perfection, not putting a stop to his fun, then you won't feel like such a meany. :tap: :rofl:
 
We had our third Barn Hunt trial this past weekend, and it was Remy’s first time in the senior ring! I’ve been warned about “senior purgatory” by seasoned barn hunters, and was a bit anxious going in since it is a big jump from open (double the rats; a bigger course, tunnel, third tier of bales; only one extra minute).

Remy did two senior runs on Friday and two on Saturday, and he pulled off one Q each day, placing 1st and HIC with a 1:34 run on Friday – couldn’t be happier with those results! Just need one more Q for the senior title.

I got to help with course builds and be an inside rat wrangler for the instinct, novice, open & senior ring all day Friday, and in the master ring on Saturday. I’ve really enjoyed learning all that goes into the sport, and I always glean some insights from being inside the ring with other dogs and handlers.

For instance, Remy has been lightly hitting on litter tubes recently – I think out of impatience/frustration because of the higher number of rats, and he’s hoping if he finds them faster, he’ll get to wrap up his run and be rewarded that much more quickly. He did this twice on the same litter tube during Friday’s run that he ended up getting the HIC finish on (really wish I had a video of this run!) – lingering and lightly pawing at the litter tube, but moving off of it quickly. Thankfully, he’s pretty faithful about staying on a rat tube until I call it and he hears the judge say “rat #”, so I correctly ignored it and we moved on.

Well on Saturday, he went into the ring, quickly found a rat, and then I thought I was being wise to that same litter tube situation – only the litter tube was elevated, and between a bale of hay and a wall, so I couldn’t have a clear visual of what he was doing without stepping on a bale, and so when he moved off it without even glancing at me, I figured “eh, must be a litter”. He found two other rats, then went to the gate and nosed it, then back to that same presumed litter tube and moved off it again, back to the gate and slapped it, hunted a little more per my direction…and then it just all fell apart with him throwing paws at the gate repeatedly. While it was happening, I thought maybe he was distracted by the various spectators/a dog going to the ring next door, and so I kept trying to redirect him to hunt…it’s the most I’ve ever talked to him in the ring. Then, once he timed out, the judge let him go to the final rat tube, and guess what? OF COURSE it was the tube I’d assumed was litter!:facepalm:

But I didn’t make sense of his gate-punching meltdown (lol) until I was wrangling in the master ring later that day. I noticed multiple dogs go toward the start mat/gate once they’d cleared their given number of rats, and then as their handler would encourage them to keep searching, they’d revisit spots where they’d already found rats…then they’d wander back to the gate. I realized Remy had been following that same pattern – in his mind, he’d found the 4th/last rat in the ring (although it wasn’t his best alert/I failed to call it…twice), knew he was done and was ready to get out of there and get his jackpot!

I know these dogs are smart, but man…sometimes they’re so much damn smarter than we even realize. It’s delightful – and humbling – to see their minds at work.

My husband got a video of his second run on Saturday (the one that he Q’ed on), and it’s kind of hilarious how close I got to the tunnel build in the back (like as close as possible without touching it) – I was determined not to miss if he alerted on something this time!


So, now I have some foresight about potential "all clear" tells once we get to master. And in the meantime, we’ll be working on reinforcing staying on rat tubes until I call them and verbally release him to “go find more!” – especially knowing that distance challenges will also be on the docket in master as well.
 

Attachments

  • RemyBarnHunt1.webp
    RemyBarnHunt1.webp
    222.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Awesome job! I agree, it's amazing what you can learn from watching others, or videoing your own practice and seeing your dog & your own behaviors, no matter what sport! Thanks for sharing this - truly good work and what a good-looking dog!
 
Congrats on the Q’s! It’s really interesting that so many of the dogs will head towards the gate when they’re done. I guess they know their work is done!
 
Awesome job! I agree, it's amazing what you can learn from watching others, or videoing your own practice and seeing your dog & your own behaviors, no matter what sport! Thanks for sharing this - truly good work and what a good-looking dog!
Congrats on the Q’s! It’s really interesting that so many of the dogs will head towards the gate when they’re done. I guess they know their work is done!
Thank you both so much! Agreed that videos are super helpful too — especially in competition. I feel like time goes so quickly in the ring that I tend to tune out the big picture and just focus on completing the next task, which is why I didn’t put it all together until later. Going to try and video all our runs from now on!
 
When signing up for Barn Hunt, instinct or novice? Being as Pepper has never done one, but we do scent work together so she gets the drill.

Have two close to us in March I want to sign up for 2 possibly.

Thanks!
 
When signing up for Barn Hunt, instinct or novice? Being as Pepper has never done one, but we do scent work together so she gets the drill.

Have two close to us in March I want to sign up for 2 possibly.

Thanks!
Instinct is an optional title. If Pepper has never done barn hunt I would probably enter the Instinct level. The dog does not need to climb or tunnel in Instinct to qualify (they need to do both in Novice). There is a “cradle” with 3 tubes on it. One is empty, one has rat litter, and one has a live rat. You need to call “rat” once you think the dog found the tube with the live rat. If you were correct, the dog qualifies and earns the RATI title.

For Novice there are still the 3 tubes, but this time they are hidden in the hay. The dog will also need to go through a tunnel and jump/climb up onto the hay. To qualify in Novice the dog has to do each of those things (find live rat tube, tunnel, and “climb”. It takes 3 qualifying runs to earn the RATN title.

Make sure you read ALL of the rules for barn hunt because there are lots of little things that could make you NQ an otherwise good run.

I entered Remy in Instinct back in September 2024. I might have a video in this thread? If not I can post it if you want to see what an Instinct run looks like. He did one lesson a week prior.
 
Instinct is an optional title. If Pepper has never done barn hunt I would probably enter the Instinct level. The dog does not need to climb or tunnel in Instinct to qualify (they need to do both in Novice). There is a “cradle” with 3 tubes on it. One is empty, one has rat litter, and one has a live rat. You need to call “rat” once you think the dog found the tube with the live rat. If you were correct, the dog qualifies and earns the RATI title.

For Novice there are still the 3 tubes, but this time they are hidden in the hay. The dog will also need to go through a tunnel and jump/climb up onto the hay. To qualify in Novice the dog has to do each of those things (find live rat tube, tunnel, and “climb”. It takes 3 qualifying runs to earn the RATN title.

Make sure you read ALL of the rules for barn hunt because there are lots of little things that could make you NQ an otherwise good run.

I entered Remy in Instinct back in September 2024. I might have a video in this thread? If not I can post it if you want to see what an Instinct run looks like. He did one lesson a week prior.
Appreciate the information @remy
Thank you ☺️
 
Agree about the rules. Probably the biggest ones:

1. Take their collar off as soon as they close that gate you and you get them set in the start box. Barn Hunt rules also do NOT allow uncovered prongs even on the grounds.
2. Don't touch ANYTHING in the ring lol - your dog, a bale, a tube unless you're sure. Call "RAT" before you touch a tube. You can physically praise your dog when they alert to a rat but I would keep it brief and keep moving
3. This seems like it would go without saying but be GENTLE with the tubes

If you can get into just one class ahead of time so she can 'understand' the goal of the game, I would really recommend that (totally understand it's not always an option). Novice is a short, straight tunnel and one empty tube, one litter tube, and one rat tube with at least one tube being elevated.

Mirroring what Remy said just adding that all four feet need to do the 'climb,' I believe. A little detail that you might miss that might result in an NQ if you think your dog did the climb but you didn't get credit for it and run out of time.

And at the risk of bombarding you (I'm just excited!) watch as many other runs as you can during the trial. You will be shocked how many handlers miss their dogs cue. Or handlers that interfere with a dog that is working (usually when the dog is 'clearing' a section). Or how handlers praise or restrain their dog based on their excitement level. It's wicked fun IMO :thumbsup:
 
Make sure you read ALL of the rules for barn hunt because there are lots of little things that could make you NQ an otherwise good run.

Very good recommendation about reading ALL the rules. I've NQ'd handlers for leaning on hay bales, getting on hands and knees, treating in the ring, cell phones going off, holding the rat tubes perpendicular, dropping rat tubes, stepping over hay bales and all kinds of things. They happen in all levels and even experienced handlers will say, "I didn't know that." If the handler is the source of the NQ and there's no danger, the run continues because the dog isn't punished. I really hate having a handler finish thinking she has a Q, then I have to tell her why she NQ'd.

There's one rule that works in your favor if you know it. Open has two rats, one of them must be elevated. If you find the first rat on the ground, don't waste time looking on the ground for the second rat - it must be elevated!
 
Last edited:
Very good recommendation about reading ALL the rules.
Yes, I learned this the hard way. Not barn hunt but I missed a Q with Z because I didn't read the rules and made assumptions about where a scent was allowed to be permitted on a vehicle search. She had it, I learned later. I just assumed it wasn't allowed that far back on a vehicle for the level we were working.
 
The uncovered prongs must be a newer rule. I just checked the rules and sure enough. Back when Ripley was trialing a few years ago, prong collars were allowed anywhere but the moment you left the blind to the ring they had to come off. Now it looks like they must be covered. So not also is it a good idea to read rules before you trial in any competition, its a good idea to check back to stay updated on any rule changes.

I second doing RATI first and then you can also sign up for Novice in the same trial. Also, watching others run when you are done I'd high recommend too. So much "free" info you can obtain just by watching. Reading the rat wrangler and judge rules is helpful too.
 
The uncovered prongs must be a newer rule. I just checked the rules and sure enough. Back when Ripley was trialing a few years ago, prong collars were allowed anywhere but the moment you left the blind to the ring they had to come off. Now it looks like they must be covered.
When I trialed with Remy they were allowed to wear covered prongs into the ring. You need to put it in the basket once removed and it’s a NQ if the prong touches the floor. Or at least those were the rules a little over a year ago lol.
 

Back
Top