Barn Hunt Chat

Just a weird 30 hours, a day in the life.

I judged in Rhode Island last weekend which was over 200 miles from my house. I drove up Friday afternoon for the Saturday and Sunday event. My GPS said it was a three and a half hour ride. After it was over, I kept thinking, "A three hour tour..."

On I-287, traffic came to a halt. Just what I need, an accident already and I'm only half an hour from home. Traffic moved very slowly. A cement mixer tipped over and was blocking all three lanes. I couldn't understand why the traffic was moving so slowly around it until it was my turn. There's deep rumble strip cut into the shoulder near the yellow line and it shook the car violently driving on it. I was stuck in that exactly an hour, from 12:04 to 1:04 pm.

Screenshot_20230603-173715_ROVE.webp


Driving through Connecticut was miserable. Bumper to bumper traffic barely moving for forty miles. Between the cement mixer accident and traffic on I-95 in western Connecticut, it was almost six hours instead of three and a half. I get to the inn. It's a cute little place with small buildings that had four guest rooms in each building. I was happy as a clam and went to bed at 10 pm. Around midnight, there were loud voices outside and car doors being slammed. I figured it would take about 10 - 15 minutes for them to get settled in their room and things would be quiet again. Nope. Loud music and loud voices. Around 1, I knocked on their door and said they were noisy and could they quiet down. They said they couldn't and slammed the door, laughing at me. I went to the manager and told him about it. He knocked on their door and told them to turn off the music. They did and I went back to bed. But their phones had loud ring tones and their voices were very loud. At two, I packed up and loaded the car, intending to move to another hotel. I told the manager I was checking out and not to bill me. He asked if I'd stay if I had a quiet room. I said all I want to do is sleep, and I'll stay if I can get a quiet room. He gave me the best room in the place which included a hot tub. I got four hours sleep, but I knew I'd be good to judge once I started.

Old place

20230602_165227.webp

New room with hot tub.

20230603_055241.webp

The Saturday trial ended and I came home. A single police car was in the lot. I could watch from my balcony, so got a Gatorade and rested my weary feet. It appears one of the little valedictorians won the Darwin Award by overdosing. Two more police and the meat wagon came. The coroner hauled out his body. A flatbed came and the police loaded his motorcycle on it.

20230603_164038.webp

20230603_172417.webp
I can't wait to see what happens on my next trip! Or maybe I can...
 
Keep in mind it's your actions which determine if it's an NQ or not.
Thank you for the in-depth explanation, that gives me quite a bit of relief. All I could think of yesterday when I realized Asha was going to score that rat was "Can I get her to give it up?" And I could! She was obedient but really charged up about it. I definitely want to respect the live creature in the tube. I had hamsters as a kid. I took care of a friends pet rat when I was in college. So I know they can be pets and they don't gross me out or anything.

They get frustrated and start hitting on the bedding tubes because they want to work, but there's no rats left for them.
I think (but could be wrong!) we'll be ok on this. She knows bedding means nothing. I cleaned out a pile of lumber in the barn that had nests from last winter and she was interested but quickly left the nesting material I'd put in a sack and went back to hunt walls and floor where I found them, then left that area with no interest because the rats were long gone. Which brings me to another question - are trials sometimes at a place where the straw is always there? Because if a wild mouse is in the bales, she will be on it. Has there ever been a wild mouse alert in trial? LOL that would be interesting...

I'll for sure let you know how the intro goes, hopefully I can get someone to take pictures or video.
 
A single police car was in the lot. I could watch from my balcony, so got a Gatorade and rested my weary feet. It appears one of the little valedictorians won the Darwin Award by overdosing. Two more police and the meat wagon came. The coroner hauled out his body. A flatbed came and the police loaded his motorcycle on it.
Nothing like a little excitement to top off your weekend...
 
Which brings me to another question - are trials sometimes at a place where the straw is always there? Because if a wild mouse is in the bales, she will be on it. Has there ever been a wild mouse alert in trial? LOL that would be interesting...

I'll for sure let you know how the intro goes, hopefully I can get someone to take pictures or video.

I was rat wrangling when a bale with a mouse nest was on the course. Dogs kept hitting at that bale but nothing was visible. Finally, we started taking the bale apart, a mouse shot out of it and we found a nest with little mouselings inside. I heard of snakes being in the bales but (thank God!) haven't had that happen when I was there.

Another thing to know is dogs can be NQ'd if they destroy bales or the course. Usually that happens when the dogs are working a scent and that's ok, but if they're just being destructive and not working, that's an NQ.
 
Thank you for the in-depth explanation, that gives me quite a bit of relief. All I could think of yesterday when I realized Asha was going to score that rat was "Can I get her to give it up?" And I could! She was obedient but really charged up about it. I definitely want to respect the live creature in the tube. I had hamsters as a kid. I took care of a friends pet rat when I was in college. So I know they can be pets and they don't gross me out or anything.

I never called a stalling penalty and my memory was hazy. I just looked it up. The first time the handler doesn't stop the dog from abusing the tube in a timely manner is a time penalty. The second time is an NQ. Sorry for the misinformation. You can read the rule in Part 10, Section 4 of the Competitor's rule book. Page 15 of the current book.)
 
dogs can be NQ'd if they destroy bales or the course. Usually that happens when the dogs are working a scent and that's ok, but if they're just being destructive and not working, that's an NQ.
No worries there. If there is a wild mouse, yes/maybe, if the rat is found and taken away she will (*should*) quit working. But basically she's not a destroyer unless there is a live reason.

The first time the handler doesn't stop the dog from abusing the tube in a timely manner is a time penalty. The second time is an NQ. Sorry for the misinformation.
No worries - I really appreciate all your input. After our intro, if I decide to trial I'll review the rules carefully - and probably ask more questions here as well. Since my main concern is Asha possibly abusing the rat tube and now knowing it's ALL ON ME, I will be right on it for her to put it down and then take it away in all the right ways.
 
I previously posted how AJ likes to pounce on the tube and sometimes hikes it between his back legs when he finds a rat. Today was perfect ratting weather in the mid 60s and AJ was loaded for bear! He found a rat on the ground and hiked it straight behind him at least twenty feet. Then he found a rat elevated and hiked it straight back again with the same amount of force. I was standing right behind him and caught the full force of the tube on my shin! Ooooweeee!
 
So my barn hunt intro was surprising.... I thought it would be the most fun Asha ever had because she is so wild on the rodents here. The rat in the cage was very still and she sniffed it and said Hmph. Then the rat in the tube, "I smell it, but WHAT, it's not exciting". Then Hunt in the bales. Asha: Um, here's the tube with the rat, is that what we're looking for?" Folks, I don't know, but I'm thinking the prey drive wasn't there because the rat doesn't move, doesn't rustle up noises, doesn't emit any adrenaline or fear for it's life, so maybe that's what makes Asha wild in the hunt at home compared to today? She had no trouble finding the rat tube in the straw, she climbed & tunneled, but I thought I'd be treating her to a really special event and it was (to her) kind of Meh. We had fun, the teacher was excellent, I may do a trial just to add to my jack of all trades record. I'm thinking that the trigger may just not have been ignited and will build over time, but seriously wondering the difference of intensity (over the top on a wild rodent vs. non-existent today. Dogs can smell high blood pressure or cancer so surely the can smell adrenaline easily. If the pet rats are not fearing for their life like the wild rodents, maybe that has something to do with no intensity on the rat smell? She had a good time, but at home if Reckless was working a rat in the woodpile and she was not part of it she'd go nuts. She didn't care at all when put back in her pen and other dogs working. Thoughts?


fullsizeoutput_68d.webp
 
So my barn hunt intro was surprising.... I thought it would be the most fun Asha ever had because she is so wild on the rodents here. The rat in the cage was very still and she sniffed it and said Hmph. Then the rat in the tube, "I smell it, but WHAT, it's not exciting". Then Hunt in the bales. Asha: Um, here's the tube with the rat, is that what we're looking for?" Folks, I don't know, but I'm thinking the prey drive wasn't there because the rat doesn't move, doesn't rustle up noises, doesn't emit any adrenaline or fear for it's life, so maybe that's what makes Asha wild in the hunt at home compared to today? She had no trouble finding the rat tube in the straw, she climbed & tunneled, but I thought I'd be treating her to a really special event and it was (to her) kind of Meh. We had fun, the teacher was excellent, I may do a trial just to add to my jack of all trades record. I'm thinking that the trigger may just not have been ignited and will build over time, but seriously wondering the difference of intensity (over the top on a wild rodent vs. non-existent today. Dogs can smell high blood pressure or cancer so surely the can smell adrenaline easily. If the pet rats are not fearing for their life like the wild rodents, maybe that has something to do with no intensity on the rat smell? She had a good time, but at home if Reckless was working a rat in the woodpile and she was not part of it she'd go nuts. She didn't care at all when put back in her pen and other dogs working. Thoughts?


View attachment 135534
I think it's going to be just like nose work where you build value for the scent. Once she figures out what the game is and you continue to build value for the rat, she will learn to enjoy working for you to please you. Definitely don't give up! It certainly looks like it wore her out mentally even if she didn't go nuts. I think some of them get really serious when they hunt.
 
Rubie loves when things MOVE. If she can't see it moving, it's not as exciting (we learned). But as @Rits said, build the value! Sounds like she already understands the game!
Exactly. Amazing how we keep learning that we don't know what we think we know. I knew she was so crazy about finding rodents at home that this was going to be a real treat for her. I thought rat smell was rat smell and she would go straight into high drive. Wrong again. :rolleyes:

I may not pursue it right now, because again, lessons are 2.5 hours away and I have no interest in buying straw and pet rats. After yesterday it appears to be about the same as scent work with a new element. I can always work on AKC SW here at home and I can try to move up a level or two since we've already got our novice and half way through advanced...
 
Pictures were taken of us at Barn Hunt today. He did a practice Masters run. There were four rats on the course of a possible maximum of five, but we didn't know how many.

There's a good shot of the way he turns around when he realized he went past a rat. When he stops dead in his tracks and turns around, that's a very good tell he found a rat!

View attachment 117846

View attachment 117847

View attachment 117848

View attachment 117849

View attachment 117850

View attachment 117854

View attachment 117858

View attachment 117852

View attachment 117853
I love this frame by frame recap! Reminds me so much of Remy – that head whip is a sure sign they're onto a scent.
 
I was judging Senior and Master at a trial today. The theme was pool party. I got a lifeguard shirt and AJ got to frolic in the pool. There's still a bit of water in it. The perimeter expands when the water is turned on and there's a 3 foot spray.

AJ got stung by a yellow jacket when we were in the blind for our first run. I thought of pulling him, then decided since he wasn't acting as if he was in pain, ran him. He walked off the start mat and laid down next to a bale, so I pulled him.

The second trial he had about an hour to recover and we had nothing to lose by trying again. His tail was up when we went in the ring. He was a bit slow, especially in the tunnel. He Q'd and won High In Class with the fastest time in Master B despite running slow.

20230812_151855.webp
 
I was judging Senior and Master at a trial today. The theme was pool party. I got a lifeguard shirt and AJ got to frolic in the pool. There's still a bit of water in it. The perimeter expands when the water is turned on and there's a 3 foot spray.

AJ got stung by a yellow jacket when we were in the blind for our first run. I thought of pulling him, then decided since he wasn't acting as if he was in pain, ran him. He walked off the start mat and laid down next to a bale, so I pulled him.

The second trial he had about an hour to recover and we had nothing to lose by trying again. His tail was up when we went in the ring. He was a bit slow, especially in the tunnel. He Q'd and won High In Class with the fastest time in Master B despite running slow.
What a fun theme! Congrats to AJ for being a trooper and pulling through with flying colors in the second trial despite the sting.
 
A 1:27 video of AJ in class today (Tuesday). He's on his last run and enjoying himself on the Master course from Sunday. There were four rats on the course. He found the first one under a leaner and was hysterically funny trying to get to it. He was laying on his side pawing under the leaner among other contortions. I got out my phone and started making a video just as he found RAT2. He was great finding RAT4. He was on the far side of the tunnel and found it and stayed on it until I got to him. If you're thinking your Dobie won't do that, a couple years ago, AJ didn't either.

 
I was at a trial today and a handler missed a clue from the judge in Crazy8s

The handler called RAT. The judge asked WHERE? The handler points to a spot and the judge calls FAULT. The handler then left the area to continue searching other elements.

Because the judge didn't immediately call FAULT and asked WHERE is a very good, but not 100%, indication of a rat being there. 1) A bedding tube was placed near a rat tube. Or 2) It's also possible there is no bedding tube and the handler was pointing too far away from the rat.

In this case, the dog eventually returned on its own and found the rat.

The rule for removing a bedding tube in Crazy8s is if it's removed from the straw before the judge calls FAULT, it's removed from the ring.

Screenshot_20231007-153045_Gallery.webp

I carpooled and AJ wanted to drive.

Screenshot_20231007-210458_Gallery.webp
 

Back
Top