Backyard Chickens?

Thank you @WiglWerm ! I'll have to learn more about that method. I've been doing all this research on DLM the past few weeks lol now I have to start over! Will def pick up some linoleum next weekend when we put the co-op together
 
Coincidently my friends in Florida just jumped into the chicken fun.They sent a few pics.image.webpimage.webp image.webpHe says so far including the cost of the coupe kit and those two birds they're in it about 250 bucks.The coupe was 200.
Now he's working on making some alterations to keep his two Pits from processing the chickens into :poop: :eek:
image.webp Until then the dogs are on leash and supervised if outside.
 
@Gelcoater that is the same coop I'm getting!!! Love it!

I came to post some progress pics... I sent believe how quickly they grow! Here's one of my silkies, this past thurs and today (approx 1 week old now, 3 days old in the first pic)Screenshot_2016-03-03-21-27-18-1.webp 20160307_214238.webp
We have chosen tentative names, but not assigning them until we know who stays. Decided to go the humerous route with our first flock. Mother clucker, chicken little, Kentucky and nugget. :rofl:
 
Love the chicken coup!! Very nice! And Mother Clucker is hysterical!!!

How's hubby doing?? :whistle:

Where are you keeping the chicks now?
 
Love the chicken coup!! Very nice! And Mother Clucker is hysterical!!!

How's hubby doing?? :whistle:

Where are you keeping the chicks now?

He actually loves them. He baby talks them and all! Right now they are in a Rubbermaid tote in the extra bedroom (god, stinky!! :sick:) but I will be enclosing mistys old crate and moving them in there in the next few days since the tote is going to be too small soon!
 
Wow, what a switch huh? That's good though. Much easier when you're both on board with a project ;-)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
 
20160313_164218.webp
We got a new baby Saturday... She is a sexlink PA black (local hybrid) and will lay blue eggs. She's supposed to be the same age as the other chicks but she's much smaller. Doing very well though! They're all getting along great! I also moved them to mistys old wire crate which gave them much more space. Just put it a nice size stick I found outside after the storm last night for a roost and they're loving that too. We've been having them eat from our hands and playing with them daily but they still seem awfully shy. Anytime we open the door and/or reach in they scatter and hide in the back corners :-(
 
View attachment 60499
We got a new baby Saturday... She is a sexlink PA black (local hybrid) and will lay blue eggs. She's supposed to be the same age as the other chicks but she's much smaller. Doing very well though! They're all getting along great! I also moved them to mistys old wire crate which gave them much more space. Just put it a nice size stick I found outside after the storm last night for a roost and they're loving that too. We've been having them eat from our hands and playing with them daily but they still seem awfully shy. Anytime we open the door and/or reach in they scatter and hide in the back corners :-(


Glad to hear it's going well. The stick is a great idea that I forgot to mention. Just keep at trying to get used to people, they'll probably come around. Some are just more people friendly than others. It will pay off when they start laying.
 
Glad to hear it's going well. The stick is a great idea that I forgot to mention. Just keep at trying to get used to people, they'll probably come around. Some are just more people friendly than others. It will pay off when they start laying.

I found the stick idea on BYC! I actually got the new chick from a member on there, we drove about an hour and a half one way to pick her up lol... I figured it would make it easier once they're laying but I also want them to run to us excited like yours do Genny! That's one of the stories that swayed him to give me the ok since I kept telling how friendly they are! I do hope they grow out of the shy stage.
 
20160314_221636.webp here's my current setup. The stick is up off the ground... I poked holes in the cardboard to raise it up a little bit. The silkies especially LOVE to dig in the shavings. Theyre always throwing it all over the place! They knocked the water over twice (in one day),so I found something bigger to set it on (so they don't fill that with shavings too!) I'm hoping it's sturdy enough that they can't knock this over too...
 
View attachment 60500 here's my current setup. The stick is up off the ground... I poked holes in the cardboard to raise it up a little bit. The silkies especially LOVE to dig in the shavings. Theyre always throwing it all over the place! They knocked the water over twice (in one day),so I found something bigger to set it on (so they don't fill that with shavings too!) I'm hoping it's sturdy enough that they can't knock this over too...


Maybe try putting the water in the corner and zip tie it loose enough you can push the zip tie up to get the bottle out to fill it but tight enough they can't knock it over.

Don't worry about bonding with them. They are still very small and afraid of everything because they are so susceptible. They'll get bigger and gain more confidence with size.
I make special treats for mine and they know it. They see me coming with a bowl in my hand and they start jumping for it. Yesterday it was warm so I made a concoction with apples, bananas some chopped up spinach and some ground up egg shells all mixed up in some yogurt and they went crazy. They were jumping all over the place trying to get it.
My girls have been busy in the laying department. I had to make deliveries to the neighbors and they were all happy to see me coming.
 
I make special treats for mine and they know it. They see me coming with a bowl in my hand and they start jumping for it. Yesterday it was warm so I made a concoction with apples, bananas some chopped up spinach and some ground up egg shells all mixed up in some yogurt and they went crazy. They were jumping all over the place trying to get it.
My girls have been busy in the laying department. I had to make deliveries to the neighbors and they were all happy to see me coming.
That is so cool! Just puts a big smile on my face to think about that! LOL So darn cute!
 
Wow, blue eggs? You won't even have to color them for Easter! ;) You got yourself a brood now!! :thumbsup: So cute!!

That's the plan! I wanted an easter egger, which from what I read can lay different colored eggs from blue, green, pink and olive but this was the closest I found, were happy with blue!

Maybe try putting the water in the corner and zip tie it loose enough you can push the zip tie up to get the bottle out to fill it but tight enough they can't knock it over.

Don't worry about bonding with them. They are still very small and afraid of everything because they are so susceptible. They'll get bigger and gain more confidence with size.
I make special treats for mine and they know it. They see me coming with a bowl in my hand and they start jumping for it. Yesterday it was warm so I made a concoction with apples, bananas some chopped up spinach and some ground up egg shells all mixed up in some yogurt and they went crazy. They were jumping all over the place trying to get it.
My girls have been busy in the laying department. I had to make deliveries to the neighbors and they were all happy to see me coming.

Great idea with the zip tie! And thanks for the encouragement! I'm sure they'll grow out of it as they get bigger :-) they do come running once I put my hand in with a handful of feed to let them eat out of my palm.
 
A local farmer we buy eggs from has some Araucana's and they lay blue eggs as well.

Wow they're growing!
 
One of my hens lays blue eggs, one lays kind of a light teal with brown speckles and one lays brown eggs.
My neighbor was over here one day with his daughter because she has never seen chickens up close. I offered him some eggs and he said no thanks because eggs are supposed to be white.:rolleyes:
 

Back
Top