Great advice thank you!! Now a location question... Here's a pic of our back yard. The red arrow is where he wants it (in the back corner, out of the way) the blue arrow is where I want it (closer to the house for convenience and near the garden to help with bugs) are there any big reasons why one would be better than another? I'm also worried for his spot since its close to the fire pit, wouldn't the smoke be bad for the hens to be in that close of a vicinity? If I don't have valid reasons why not, his spot may win out... And I may say ok just so i can get them!
View attachment 60108
IMHO, the closer to water in the winter the better. Hens need tons of fresh clean water. I think you will find that you will want then as close to you as possible. They really are fun to watch....extreme characters is what my neighbor calls mine. She actually watches for me to let them out and then comes and sits on her deck to watch them.
but he brought up insurance. I'm sure it can range state to state, but if I am only getting 2 or 3 is there anything to be concerned about with homeowners insurance? Not sure why there would be, but he brought it up, and a quick Google search showed it seems as though if you have more than x amount of chickens, or sell eggs for a profit it's considered farming and requires additional policies or the insurance company will drop you. Any insight on that? I'll call my agent tomorrow for a definitive answer but curious what experiences y'all had with that while.



