Backyard Chickens?

LOL, they're claiming a brown egg is either free range or organic. Not - same eggs, different chickens, and it all depends on their conditions.
 
I would expect a designer egg to be a bit more spicy or exotic.:anyone:



All I can say is that after eating fresh eggs, I'll never buy eggs in the store again. There is definitely a noticeable difference.
I think I have said it before, but when hubby first came up with the idea of getting some hens I was very much against it. I remembered gathering eggs as a kid when we lived on a farm and hated it. Those hens would not let you get their eggs and would stop at almost nothing to prevent it. It was pretty embarrassing to go to school and say you were beat up by a little hen.i guess over the years breeders have worked on the temperament and it is much easier to get the eggs. My hens just lay them and leave them.
Now I am the one that will always have hens. They are tons of fun and give me food that I can share with the neighborhood.
I have read that the eggs you buy in the store can be as much as 6 months old, so yes fresh eggs do make a difference.
 
I have read that the eggs you buy in the store can be as much as 6 months old, so yes fresh eggs do make a difference.
I've heard that too and it's scary. I will say that if I want to boil the ones we buy from farmers I wait for about a week or they're impossible to peel.
 
I have had an electric egg cooker since I've been married. (I've only been through 2 of them in over 40 years!) I've never had a problem peeling eggs while I have seen others struggle with it, farm fresh or not. I never understood why they had such problems! lol Well, I guess I understand it now! Because steaming is actually how these egg cookers cook the eggs! I never gave it much thought until now! So this steaming method is right on! :thumbsup:
 
Lol my mom taught me a trick for peeling boiled eggs. She always adds a bit of vinegar to the water to make them easier to peel. Tried it called her and told her she was a genius !
 
Lol my mom taught me a trick for peeling boiled eggs. She always adds a bit of vinegar to the water to make them easier to peel. Tried it called her and told her she was a genius !




I always used vinegar until I got hens. Those fresh eggs are a PITA to peel and vinegar didn't make a difference.

I also read about baking them in the oven. That method just seemed too challenging for me so I went with the steaming and it works perfect..
 
Try an egg cooker.
I hate to admit it, but I've never seen one before. We don't boil that many eggs so it probably wouldn't pay to get one that's going to take up counter or cabinet space.
 
I hate to admit it, but I've never seen one before. We don't boil that many eggs so it probably wouldn't pay to get one that's going to take up counter or cabinet space.
Wow. I've had them for so long I never would have thought that someone never heard of them. Well, some are as cheap as $20 and they don't take up that much room. (I know, says the woman with the big kitchen :pokeeyes: lol ) But if you are having that much trouble with peeling a farm fresh egg, it might be worth it! lol I like hard boiled eggs, alone or in salads or even egg salad sandwich. Plus I give them to the dogs now and then, so I use mine. And it's so nice to just turn it on and walk away. It stops when its done! And the shells just slide right off. I've never tried it with Farm Fresh eggs but I'll bet it works just as nice!
 
I have to admit I had never heard of an egg cooker either.:bag:
How long does it take to finish a batch?
Wow, when you've had something all your life (mom had one too) it sure seems odd to hear that. But I will give a full review in just a moment! :D Uploading a video for you guys and some photos! Hang tight!
 
Here's a little demo on an egg cooker! :D

First off, it's not a large 'appliance'. It measures only 10'' wide, by 5" high.
IMG_20160320_123926851_HDR (Copy).webp

Here's what it looks like inside. As you can see, it will hold 8 eggs. I usually do 8 at once, but I'm sure if you only wanted to do a couple, it works the same.
IMG_20160320_123224666 (Copy).webp

Inside, there are guides for hard boiled eggs and soft boiled (when you are doing soft boiled there is another insert to use and it is included with the egg cooker)
IMG_20160320_123305673 (Copy).webp

When doing hard boiled eggs, simply add water to the indicated water line.
IMG_20160320_123341990_HDR (Copy).webp

Put the insert inside and pierce a hole in each egg with the needle on top of the insert. I saved the insert from my old cooker because the 'needle' was longer! I swear this is PC again! OMG, a needle! Someone could hurt themselves! :facepalm: The one on my new one is barely enough to pierce the egg. :tap: Anyway, I digress.
IMG_20160320_123432670_HDR (Copy).webp

Once they are all pierced and in place they look like this.
IMG_20160320_123508227_HDR (Copy).webp

Here's a short video of them cooking! You can see all the steam!

And here's how easy they are to peel!!! :thumbsup:



Oh, I almost forgot an 'inside' shot! ;)

IMG_20160320_125807597_HDR (Copy).webp

I wouldn't be without of the these things! As I said earlier, I've often seen folks have a LOT of difficulty in peeling even store bought eggs! I've never had an egg fresh off the farm, but now I know I won't have any problems peeling a hard boiled one!! :thumbsup:
 
True! LOL. But knowing that it's steaming the eggs that works, this should work too. You can see the eggs are steamed, not boiled, in this handy little contraption. ;)
 
That looks like it would work perfect @MyBuddy. I used to have an egg cooker. I think I sold it at the one and only garage sale I ever had.
We entertain alot so I am known as the cook to all our friends. People used to buy every little cooking gadget known to man for hostess gifts, Christmas, my birthday, you name it. It became ridiculous. One day I got a wild hair and decided to clean everything out and only keep things that had multiple uses. So bye bye egg cooker.
 
One day I got a wild hair and decided to clean everything out and only keep things that had multiple uses. So bye bye egg cooker.
That's so true! But with raising chickens, that would be the one item I would keep! :D
 

Back
Top