Tasha's Mom,
Please forgive me as I'm no so confused. I really do trust my vet. He has never steered me wrong which is why I have stayed with him for 18 years and recommended him to anyone who asks. It has also been made very clear from his clinical workers that they pay extra close attention to their Dobe's. I could go on about the many wonderful things that he does for animals and in the community but I will refrain

. Just know when I say that he, and his office staff are truly one of a kind and often put the health of an animal before the all mighty dollar
This being said, am I to assume that the blood test
is valuable but should have been done the day of the surgery and not the week before? Should the DNA test still be done and I postpone her spay until after I have the results .
I already paid for it so I guess that is a mute point now. Im just scared postpone it because I lost a beloved pet to Cancer because I didn't fix her. If I wait Angel may go into heat and I know with every heat, her risk for breast cancer increases
Given your professional background and personal experience that you spoke of, I really value your opinion and look forward to some clarification
Let me explain what we did,
I have the same kind of vet, he is wonderful, specializes in Dobes and has for 40 years. I completly trust him.
Tasha was small so we started testing her about 10 weeks I believe, for her iron level to make sure she was not anemic for her ear surgery since she had worms so bad when we got her.
It was low for several weeks but finally got high enough so we scheduled the surgery. The morning I brought her in for the surgery we tested her blood once more to make sure her iron level was still good. The tech brought her to me and she was just laying in my lap waiting to be taken back and prepared for surgery. I looked down and my pants, her, the chair and a puddle on the floor of blood.
A tech walked by and I kinda yelled, it was way early in the morning everyone was still drinking their coffee

so the tech hustled her up and put a bandage on the place where they had drawn blood and they took her back. About 45 minutes later I was at the Wal-Mart and the phone rang, It was Doctor Stuckey, he began to tell me that her iron was good but when he asked about the bandage doc decided to do a gum prick and her coagulants were low, so he ran a blood test and still they were low.
I was in the Wal-Mart and he tried to tell me it was ok but he felt we needed to test for the Vwd. I had heard about it but was not real clear on what it was so I of course said yes and went back to pick her up.
A week later all the results were in. She was in the 13% which is very very low so we scheduled her spay ordered plasma that I keep on hand at my house, I have arrangements with the Vet around the corner in case of injury that needs immediate transfusion until we can get her to the hospital. She has had several other bleeds over the last few weeks, most of them were losing teeth and one was a abrasion in her anus that scared me to death but they got it to stop so we are just careful with her and go on like normal.
To answer your question. The DNA is pointless other than for your own information. If your doc suspects there is a possibility then follow his advice and do what ever tests he recommends, with that said there is nothing wrong with asking what the test is for and why does it cost so much all those questions are reasonable what is not reasonable is getting a random test and taking it into your vet and asking him to define it for you. He is going to tell you he will have to check for himself. As for the spay ask him to make sure her coagulants are normal which can be done by a simple pin prick, let your doc know your fears, he will appreciate you for it. I am also sure he has pre-op things he does anyways to make sure everything is a go, so quit worrying it just turns your hair grey

- Your a good mom - My thread is Tasha's journey you can read about all the things we have had to do.