• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Von Willebrand's Disease

Quee to clear up what I said or what I meant about BYB I was referring to PUREBRED dog breeders not people who breed mixed mutts. That would fall back under BYB regardless of health/temperament testing because in "designer" mutts you don't have a clue how the puyppies will turn out. But with the multiple breeds more closely resembles PM dogs but not quite there either. Either way it is wrong and poor breeding practices so we agree 100% on that for sure!!!.

Changing topics - I agree that $2600 fo a spay is not right. I've seen rates here in Illinois from under $200 (humane society) to less than $400 at the high end. Even with VWd issues and the need to control excessive bleeding, I woud be surprised if my vets said it would cost more than $500 for the spay service.

Like I said, I live in Canada and in MY area - the hospital is the ONLY place I can take her for this. I dont make the rules. The Humane society is gvmt funded here and are regulated through the Provincial and Federal gvmt. They wont take homed dogs for procedures like this. Canada has tight regulations (plus grey areas) when it comes to animals.As of now, I am still waiting for the surgeon to call me back as I am questioning the cost to some extent.

Quee to clear up what I said or what I meant about BYB I was referring to PUREBRED dog breeders not people who breed mixed mutts. That would fall back under BYB regardless of health/temperament testing because in "designer" mutts you don't have a clue how the puyppies will turn out. But with the multiple breeds more closely resembles PM dogs but not quite there either. Either way it is wrong and poor breeding practices so we agree 100% on that for sure!!!.

Thanks D4E - I had in mind all kinds of breeders not just Purebred dog breeders so that explains the differences in our comments. Agree though - I'm not a fan of 'designer' mutts or purebred BYBs given all the unwanted animals in the world, and how many (but not all) BYB's of all types engage in abusive practices in one way or another.

I had the clotting test done, his clothing factor was 300 which that how long it took his blood to clot thdy said, my vet didn't do his ears because of that, the breeder said dad was clear an mom may be a carrier, so I'm gathering information to see if he would be ok to crop, does anyone have any suggestions an is 300 a risk

How old is your pup? Trying to figure out if you have time to order a DNA swab kit.

When I first learned about vWD , it was the elise assay test the vet did in-house. My female's results were 180 & my male's was 9. :eek: In '96, VetGen made the DNA test available for it, we tested through them. My female came back CLEAR (lived to 11) & my male AFFECTED (lived to 13 1/2).

Back