Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Your thoughts (pedigree)

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Ronj1977, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Ronj1977

Ronj1977 New Member

So far every single dog I have brought up causes some sort of controversy. Some people praise and others hate its crazy. I feel like it’s a toss up no matter where I go

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  2. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

So many different experiences and opinions each person has had so ultimately you just have to do your research and find what you feel is best for you with a great emphasis on the health testing.
    I wish you the best and look forward to seeing your new pup!!

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

So are you getting a dog out of Brutus and Athena? Or is Brutus just the stud?

5. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Oooh, yah. cool-looking Dobes!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

There is always going to be dogs in a pedigree that someone doesn’t like. Health testing of the parents should be first priority. You should receive copies of all health testing done on both parents. The rest is kind of a crap shoot, there is never any guarantees that a dog will live a full healthy life. But finding a breeder with health testing and longevity in their lines is a huge plus.

• Agree Agree x 8
  7. Oh Little Oji

Overall, that is my sentiment as well. Seems there will always be pluses and minuses in getting a dog. Risky. Oji has features that are awesome, and some that are poor.

I guess the only thing you can do for sure is try to support a good, ethical breeder who cares about the future of the breed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ronj1977

Ronj1977 New Member

Think
    Thinking about it

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Just to clarify, I have nothing against this pedigree per se. You asked for thoughts on it and Genny and I were wanting you to be aware of those things we mentioned. It's up to you to do further research on the pedigree on any prospective litter, and those two examples are why it is important. Every pedigree will have something you dont like. Weigh the pros and cons. Come to the conclusion yourself. Don't let anyone decide for you. After all, it will be your pup, not anyone else's.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Ronj1977

Ronj1977 New Member

No accusations intended just being real I never imagined getting the dog would be such an ordeal. I have had hunting dogs before this and the whole conversation concerning them would have been like 3 sentences and that’s it

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

That’s because they are not a dog, they are a Doberman. :whistle: :D

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  12. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Hey when you are paying top dollar for quality, you are going to want quality. :) Its a lot of work but will be worth it in the end. You'll find the breeder and pup for you!

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Honestly, nothing about these dogs is simple! :spit:

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

This is exactly what I was going to say as well. I personally like a lot of the dogs in this pedigree, even though it is sort of scary that they both passed without a certain reason. One of our old members has a Fedor pup and he must be about 11 years old now and still doing great.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I don't remember the specific thread either, but I'm a frequent visitor at the Doberman Club of Argentina website :) I've almost got my mom talked into going on a Doberman kennel tour of Argentina!

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

We are not obsessed at all around here :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 5
  17. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

It's on this site, Fedor sired more than 400 litters and I don't know if there was an actual award but he was said to be the most prolific sire or stud. He lived to be 9 or 10 which nowadays seems pretty good.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Oh Little Oji

Why do you think that is? Honest question. Is it because the hunting dog world is more result-based? "Dog won't hunt" comes to mind. I have never heard the saying: "Doberman won't protect." Maybe we should hear that. Instead, we hear "Your Doberman will know the good guy from the bad guy" and "Dobermans naturally read situations and react appropriately."

19. Ronj1977

Ronj1977 New Member

Because you can have a 50,60,70,80 lb lab with three legs that u pick up from the pound and it out hints a 3,000 dollar dog

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. Drogon

Drogon Hot Topics Subscriber

To my knowledge COD for Fedor del Nasi has never been released. As mentioned earlier he was one of the most prolific sires of his time. It would take time to find a EU Dobe that doesn't have him in the pedigree somewhere.
    DCM & cancer are the two biggest health concerns in Dobermanns (IMHO). Both are believed to be genetic but we don't really know for certain. There are genetic tests for a couple of markers for DCM but those are no guarantee of anything. Some people believe it means nothing at all because the results were not able to be replicated in a sample of Dobermanns in EU. Some people believe that means EU Dobes are different enough that the test doesn't apply to EU Dobes. There are Dobermanns who tested positive for DCM1 & DCM2 and never came down with DCM. There are Dobermanns who came down with DCM after testing negative for DCM1 & DCM2.
    It is really just a crap shoot (pardon the language). My boy tested negative for DCM1 and DCM2 and then passed away of a heart valve problem at the age of 3. He was all EU with most every big name EU Dobermann in his pedigree. Health testing just gives you better odds.

• Agree Agree x 6