Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Wolf kills off-leash dog on a walk with owner near Duluth lakeshore

Discussion in 'Canine News/Informative Articles' started by JanS, Feb 10, 2016.

1. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

:facepalm::groan:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

OMG!!!!! There's no button for, DAHAMN!! Scary story....and I love the eagles. But I guess I wouldn't like to live where they are waiting outside for my little dog! :shock: Do you know how much her dog weighed? Just wondering how much they can carry. Amazing story, that's for sure! And it does make sense about the mom teaching the youngins'. I would be devastated that I couldn't go after my dog. :down:

The neighbors that used to live next door had chickens and one morning I found two dead on my driveway, I think they were minus heads! :shock: And walking my property in the back, I found a pile of feathers! When I asked her is she was missing chickens she said yes! She actually thought it was owls that got them. She did not have a covered pen and she thought the owls were sitting in the trees picking them off. :(

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I believe the cat and small dog collar in eagle nests story is true. I heard it from a state wildlife biologist. I don't see as many eagles as I used to, but that's because I now work indoors all day ;)

• Like Like x 2
  4. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I heard it was true too. Wow how scary and sad but at the same time none of our dogs are ever out unsupervised.
    A couple times this week I've had an Eagle flying right over the hood of my vehicle when it flew up from a road kill. I was going to try to stop and get some pics when it landed in a tree but every time there was traffic coming and the roads weren't too good.

• Like Like x 1
  5. gettinggreyer

gettinggreyer Hot Topics Subscriber

She is 12 pounds.

We don't cover the chicken coop. The chickens are pretty privy to being watched by eagles and run
    like heck! I do cover the turkey pen. They are smart, but not smart enough to run....

I have found a chicken with it's head cut off next to the coop fence (chickens can be so curious). The body was in the coop and the head no where to be found. It seemed like such a waste! A neighbor told me it
    must of been a weasel. They take the heads and drink the blood. (?) That's what he said anyway.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. JanS

I was going to say weasel too since that's happened to my Mom a few times. For whatever reason they pull the head out and chew it off, then leave the body. One reason we don't have chickens is because there are so many fox, weasels and wolves around.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Well, that's a weasel move!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I don't know what would have happened if my neighbor's ferret got into my chicken coop! I saw the ferret one day trying to get into the coop. The ferret was usually an indoor pet, but he got out and went right across the road to my chickens.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Oh Little Oji

Another amusing thing I got to see out my back windows in WA: My Doberman sprinting after a neighbor's chicken. He actually got his mouth on the thing but not quite well enough, or maybe he didn't like the way it felt. There was a small explosion of feathers. The chase didn't slow though, and my boy had to stop near the underground fence zone. The feather pile remained there for several days. It was all rather Warner Brothers-like.

10. oliver_lawrence

oliver_lawrence New Member

I live next to the Grand River in Ontario. The river is a conduit for wildlife. I moved here for the trails, so I don't have to use my car to go hiking or running every day. In winter when the river is frozen farther north, the Eagles hunt in this area while it's open. They often check us out from above. But I've seen a juvenile being chased away by Seagulls!

11. Oh Little Oji

I thought I'd seen seagulls hassling eagles. I'm pretty sure I've seen crows do it too. This was in and around Seattle.

By the way, I totally agree with your wanting to be able to go walking and hiking without involving a car. We used to have that.

12. JanS

Exactly where do you live? Your flag says the Ukraine, you have your location down as Boston and here you're saying you live in Ontario....

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. oliver_lawrence

oliver_lawrence New Member

because my parents live in ukraine, and now im there). my daughter live with her mother in boston

• Like Like x 1
  14. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

We had hawks in Fl. that would kill our chickens and we had to be very careful with our Yorkies, never outside unsupervised

15. JanS

Yes same with eagles. Heck one even swooped Albert's back last summer. If only I would have had the camera ready.

16. Danaerys

Danaerys New Member

Cutting and pasting from another poster is plagiarism.