Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

What is Registration and What Registery is best?

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Dobs4ever, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Ataro

Ataro Notable member

I never implied that the exam was about Dobermanns at all, it is not breed specific. I was explaining why practical knowledge like that can be a good thing for someone with very little knowledge or experience, if they suddenly out of the blue want to start breeding. And I believe if nothing else, a breeder should know how to properly care for a pregnant bitch and her pups, which is just not the case with many irresponsible breeders (chaining bitches to their whelping box, leaving pups to live outside etc.). Of course it is not 100% fool proof, but it is definitely better than starting out with zero knowledge and losing a bitch because you couldn't tell that she needed a C-section when she did.

I have always said that breed clubs should be responsible for steering breeders the right way with their programs and maintaining the standard of the breed. Not sure where we have a clash in opinions on that point or why you're reinstating it. :confused:

And as for cost, you are forgetting that cropping and docking are not factored into the price of pups sold in Australia (around $2600 USD for pet quality - compare it to the price of pups in the US that do come c/d). I personally do not think it is too expensive, but I come from a background that can afford to pay that much. Not everyone these days can or is willing to spend that much on a dog any more, especially not now that there's an unofficial recession.

2. Matt Vandart

Matt Vandart Hot Topics Subscriber

And you can get a perfectly serviceable mal for like 450 bucks.....

• Like Like x 1
  3. kaloric

kaloric Notable member

Too bad she didn't make it. :( I was a bit disappointed in a show I watched a week or two ago, I want to say it was Modern Marvels on working dogs. There were plenty of GSDs and Mals in the protection and SAR segments, but not a single Dobe to be seen anywhere in the entire show.

Yeah, I was being a bit facetious, and think it would be a complete disaster if a flood of absolutely ignorant people started going out to buy Dobes because they were featured in a children's film or TV show. But then again, I will say that the portrayal of Dobermans by "the Lads" did register with me in such a way that they found their way into the list of breeds I was interested in. It has to be done in the right way.

The two options you mention do seem like the only futures Dobermans have, right now they are in a bit of a limbo. I'd be disappointed to see them softened to the point that they're just like Labs with coloration or like Border Collies that folks seem to love to take out on agility trials, but I must admit that protection wasn't the first thing I was concerned with. I ultimately like Dobes because they are velcro dogs, they're smart, and they are the perfect size and build to go on long hikes in rough terrain. There's something to be said for that too, but it's just not a series of traits or abilities that the justification for a breed can be built around, especially a working breed. Those are just the nice companion animal traits that are the icing on the cake, a Dobe without the underlying work drives would really not be the same dog I fell in love with.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Galaxy

Galaxy Jr Member

With that being said, which registry would you say is closest to having the true doberman? Or is each registry closer to having the true doberman, but in different parts.( Ex akc might be closer to having the true doberman because of the temperment, Fci structure, & so on.)

5. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Hot Topics Subscriber

All approved registries such as AKC, FCI, CKC (Canadian Kennel Club not to be mistaken for the fly by night Continential Kennel club) will have the "true doberman? But all the registry guarantees is that both parents were purebred. The registry is not responsible for correct temperament, conformation or workability.

That is the breeders job to protect and preserve. You will find great dogs in all registries and you will find some not so great because they were bred by not so great people who did not have a clue what the standard was or probably even that there was one.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Dobs4ever

In light of my Feb 10 year olds another great reason to support AKC registration was brought to mind and again it is a great tool that we as breeders have and can use but the dog needs to be reg for that to happen and that is to track for future record the DPCA Longevity program.

An unregisterd dog can't be tracked and can't be added to the longevity program for those who want to do the research to learn about the lines. Of the Feb 2003 litter 4 were never registered and 2 are still with us but can't be added to the program. Not too long after this litter AKC also started a breeders online record keeping system were we could track all puppies and could check and see if a new family reg their puppy or not. This is a great tool that AKC provides and all the records are kept by dam and sire along with the breeding date then they list all puppies that are registered. If you have an open # and can check and see who was assigned htat number and contact them and remind them to register the puppy. It has made tracking very easy.

All of this is designed to help both the breeder and future puppy buyers with addl info that can be easily accessed online at either DPCA.org or through Dobequest.org or a number of other pedigree data bases. Unfortunatley you do have to go in and update the pedigree databases and this is not always accurate and up to date.

AKC is the king of registries and the only recognized approved registry for the United States. We need to encourage all to support AKC efforts to support our dog fancy and preserve our rich history for future generations.

• Like Like x 5
  7. repodhunter

repodhunter Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Don't know your definition of "perfectly serviceable", but I know of no where in the USA that one can get a stable Belgian Malinois with health tested and titled parents for that price other then from a backyard breeder.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Matt Vandart

Matt Vandart Hot Topics Subscriber

Well thats fair enough, 'perfectly serviceable' is obviously a subjective statement.

9. Dobs4ever

Responsible breeding is about the preservation and protection of a BREED not one or two dogs sitting on your couch. Very short sighted on what breeding by good breeders is about .

• Like Like x 1