[USA] List of 75 Banned or Restricted Dogs

F

FredC

Across the country - and indeed around the world - cities, counties and local town councils are busy banning or restricting breeds instead of punishing irresponsible behavior.

Here's what is happening:

Breed bans - an outright ban on owning a specific breed of dog
Breed-specific sterilization - owners are forced to spay or neuter animal
Breed-specific
Breed-specific insurance requirements - forces owners to obtain the unobtainable "vicious" breed insurance - in reality this forces owners to surrender dogs or move
Weight or size restrictions - banning dogs over an arbitrarily determined weight or size - as in Fairfield, Iowa where all dogs over 100 lbs are banned (St. Bernard, Irish Wolfhound, Great Dane, etc.)
BTW - your insurance company is happily waiting in the background too - waiting to exclude coverage of your dog, waiting to drop your policy, or waiting to outrageously raise your rates.

List of 75 Banned or Restricted Dogs

1. AIREDALE TERRIER
2. AKBASH
3. AKITA
4. ALAPAHA BLUE BLOOD BULLDOG
5. ALASKAN MALAMUTE
6. ALSATIAN SHEPHERD
7. AMERICAN BULLDOG
8. AMERICAN HUSKY
9. AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER
10. AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER
11. AMERICAN WOLFDOG
12. ANATOLIAN SHEPHERD
13. ARIKARA DOG
14. AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOG
15. AUSTRALIAN SHEPHERD
16. BELGIAN MALINOIS
17. BELGIAN SHEEPDOG
18. BELGIAN TURVUREN
19. BLUE HEELER
20. BOERBUL
21. BORZOI
22. BOSTON TERRIER
23. BOUVIER DES FLANDRES
24. BOXER
25. BULLDOG
26. BULL TERRIER
27. BULL MASTIFF
28. CANE CORSO
29. CATAHOULA LEOPARD DOG
30. CAUCASIAN SHEPHERD
31. CHINESE SHAR PEI
32. CHOW-CHOW
33. COLORADO DOG
34. DOBERMAN PINSCHER
35. DOGO DE ARGENTINO
36. DOGUE DE BORDEAUX
37. ENGLISH MASTIFFS
38. ENGLISH SPRINGER SPANIEL
39. ESKIMO DOG
40. ESTRELA MOUNTAIN DOG
41. FILA BRASILIERO
42. FOX TERRIER
43. FRENCH BULLDOG
44. GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG
45. GOLDEN RETRIEVER
46. GREENLAND HUSKY
47. GREAT DANE
48. GREAT PYRANEES
49. ITALIAN MASTIFF
50. KANGAL DOG
51. KEESHOND
52. KOMONDOR
53. KOTEZEBUE HUSKY
54. KUVAZ
55. LABRADOR RETRIEVER
56. LEONBERGER
57. MASTIFF
58. NEOPOLITAN MASTIFF
59. NEWFOUNDLAND
60. OTTERHOUND
61. PRESA DE CANARIO
62. PRESA DE MALLORQUIN
63. PUG
64. ROTTWEILER
65. SAARLOOS WOLFHOND
66. SAINT BERNARD
67. SAMOYED
68. SCOTTISH DEERHOUND
69. SIBERIAN HUSKY
70. SPANISH MASTIFF
71. STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER
72. TIMBER SHEPHERD
73. TOSA INU
74. TUNDRA SHEPHERD
75. WOLF SPITZ

WHF! I'd like to ban a few people!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pug? Golden? What the heck is a Colorado Dog? Well, that's quite a list, Von. I don't know what to think. To go along with this, I watched a Animal Planet last night...they seized like 8 Pit Bulls from a fighting ring and one was so, so aggressive they had NO place to keep him-he torn right through anything they put him in..the people had the dogs chained to LARGE link chains that weighed in at almost 60 lbs!! That was to build up their necks muscles! Anyway, that one Pit had to be put down because he was a danger to everyone and himself. I cried for that dog...for his suffering and demise all because of PEOPLE and their greed and hardened hearts. This wasn't his fault. GO AFTER THE PEOPLE. Why not concentrate on fighting rings? Training a dog to fight is despicable ! It ruins him for any type of normal life and the means to training is just cruel. Arrrrrrrrhh...sorry, I'm on a roll from last night! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I am gonna make this a sticky, but MB - I am sorry and I DO agree with you that dog fighting is wrong, but if it wasn't for such a blood thirsty sport, I wouldn't have the breed of dog that I love today. And I have to disagree with this statment "It ruins him for any type of normal life." this is not true, again these animals were NOT meatnt to be human aggressive. ANd the dogmen of the old day would never have kept their dogs in such horrid conditions, Back in the day their dogs were their lively hood, just like a horse or a cow, they were worth their weight in gold, so to speak. And they took great care of their animals, my red boy Phoenix comes from fighting lines and yes he is DA (Dog Aggressive) but I can't takeaway where he comes from. Just like Phoebe she is game bred thru and thru, her whole pedigree is nothing but fighting stock but she is the sweetest most loving girl you will ever meet. All she wants to do is curl up in your lap and lay there and get love. Now back in the day she prolly would have been culled due to lack of "Turn on" but I'm ok with that, she's a great girl. I hope I am making sense?

Again like I said I DO NOT agree nor condone dog fighting, it is a horrible, cruel way for man to seek the blood thirst for violence, and it sickens me but I cannot forget where my dogs come from. And yes they should go after the owners, Dog Fighting was outlawed for a reason and should be kept that way. I watch Gangland last night about this gang in Fresno, CA - The Bulldogs. They stole the mascot of a great and powerful dog, war hero and turned into something wayyy way bad, I saw a whole gang standing around a dog fight in this episode, I cried, the b/f looked at me like I was crazy, I can't help it, it just makes me soooo very angry to see stupid people own these beautiful animals, and that goes for any of the breeds on this list.

Yes, you make sense. I guess what I think of as 'ruining a dog for a normal life' is one like last night. Where would you put a dog like that and who could take a dog like that, that was soooo freaking aggressive to other dogs (not to people, the people handled him just fine) that he tore through the wall?! When they picked him up and put him in their trucks, you know how those trucks are built...like a enclosure with a steel gate and then another full door over that? Well, when they opened it, he had actually broken or bent some of the steel gate!! Later when they put him in an enclosure they found him blooded from tearing a hole in the plastic walls to get to another dog next door. No one would be able to keep this dog without living somewhere where there are NO other dogs, ever. It wouldn't be safe. That's what I mean by that. I'm sitting here crying about it now because it is just so damn sad that PEOPLE would create something like this! It may be breed into them but PEOPLE make it worse. Your dogs may have come from this, like you said, but look at them! They are living a NORMAL life. With other dogs!! This poor dog last night was CREATED. He would kill himself just to get to another dog. You should have seen him, all bloody and hurt and not caring. Sorry, I get it, Tye, I do..I just can't stop crying about it....It's just a cruel cruel thing, dog fighting...and it's PEOPLE doing it. It's like brainwashing. I gotta get a tissue and I can't talk about it anymore......

awww MB, I'm sorry, I didn;t mean to upset and you are so very correct about that poor dog, and yes it was the best thing to do is put him down, he was a danger to himself and others and you are so very correct about it being people tha made him that way. I am choking on my breakfast thinking about that poor dog, it really sickens me. I am sorry girl, I really didn't mean to upset you more. :hug: And the people who made that dog should be put down also. People have gone way to far in the means to train these dogs... so sad. :hug: again MB, I didn't mean to upset you.

that list its redicules.Borzoi??its a racing dog,Pugs? come on,who makes those lists.thats so stupid and like i said in another thread.we should punish the owners,not the dogs.it just makes me so mad and sick to my stomache,when i read those things.do you remember michael vicks dogs,most of them got rehabilitated(sp) and got rehomed and people said you couldn't,but a rescue,proved they can.:)

I've had close friends & family with several breeds on the list....all were fabulous dogs. Labs? Goldens? Banned? Pugs? Oh god, they are so sweet & goofy! I had a Springer for awhile & he was the sweetest thing ever.
WTF? Why, why, why is it not on a "case by case" basis. How many people have Pits? And how many cause problems? 1/10th of a percent??!! If that.
Ban the Deed, Not the Breed.
It's really too bad that there isn't some way to REALLY punish the people who cause this type of pain & suffering to an animal...making it fight/agressive/uncontrollabe. They are SICK, they are CRIMINALS. they NEED to be jailed & fined.

awww MB, I'm sorry, I didn;t mean to upset

It's ok Tye, I was just being VERY emotional about this whole thing and now I hope I can discuss it without (many) tears....I just want to clarify what we discussed. Am I right in saying that dogs like this one that was PTS are 'created' and end up not being fit for a normal life? I know most of Vicks dogs got placed (I watched that too!:() but not ALL are able to be placed after being a fighting dog. The one PTS on this show was INSANE with trying to get to another dog (not a person but a dog) How can you place a dog like that? What chance does he have at a normal life? You would have to live on an island with no other dogs. What's the chances of living with a dog and never seeing another one? That's what I mean about ruining it for a normal life. He might be fine with his human family but, who never sees another dog? Everyone encounters a dog at some point. I guess what really saddens me to tears was this poor dog was conditioned to be like he was, by greedy people, and it was just so sad to watch him-he was beside himself with viciousness! Tearing at anything and everything, all bloody from nothing but himself! His own blood! Very sad.. I've never seen one so intent on killing. I mean, here's a dog they 'rescue' and it is so vicious they can't even Contain him temporarily!! Not all Pit Bulls are like that. I know they are bred to be dog aggressive but greedy humans train it to come out more. Look at the chains they had around their necks! All to train them to be strong. What normal human does that? I'm trying to understand it myself, why it upsets me so, why I can't talk about this without crying, but I guess it's just the injustice to any animal that I can't stand. I don't care if Pits were bred to be DA, it's people that bring it out 10 fold. They CREATE one like that one. All the other ones on that show had to be put down also except for one gentle female, who of course was just used for breeding. So what makes the difference in the Pits on that show and yours? How come yours have a normal life and those had to be put down? Because someone created them, forced them beyond what they were bred to be, creating a monster that is ruined for a normal life...that makes me sob....

Caution alot of this site is very disturbing...

Pet Pit Bull - Sad Reality

"Some ask, with all the problems we face, what matters the fate of dogs? But to me, the question is, what kind of society do we become if our children lose their humanity?"
Sergeant Steve Brownstein

Ok so let me clariy something, the ONLY reason Michael Vick's dogs were rehabilitated or even given a chance is because of his money. otherwise they wuld have been put down just like any other dog fighting ring that is busted, but because of who he is, they used his money to save them. Other people don't get that because the HUSU and PETA won't let that happen. Again, yes these dogs were meant to be figheters it is in the blood to be Dog Aggressive to be unpredicatable around another dog, is why a LOT of APBT owners have to crate and rotate their dogs, cause they would kill each other. And they are responsible dog owners, some dogs are just this way, and 2 of Vick's dogs were put down, one due to a major medical problem and the other was because it was to aggressive.

People make these dogs that way, yes it is in the bloodlines, but people hone in on it and bring out that specific aggression. Just like DM said, PUNISH THE DEED, NOT THE BREED. grrrr hate stupid people

And my dogs lead a normal life, even though they come from fighting lines because I work so very hard to make them happy and balanced, they all have jobs and have to earn their dog food and we do walks, back[acking, weight pull, agility training, OB training, you know, plus I never leave them alone and they are not allowed to be ugly to other dogs. lol

Not to mention Vicks dogs were taken in by some of the most tallented trainers and handlers in the country. Im not taking anything away from the wonderful work they did with these dogs but that just isnt feasable to think this can be done with all pitbulls. or any Breed with Dog agression for that matter.

You are correct Von, his money paid for those dogs to live comfortably for the rest of their lives. Well said

Chris there aren't I mean there are over 200 breeds of dogs but yes all these on this list have been banned either here in the states or over seas in England, Britian and Frnace.

Lord - This means that in areas here int he stats and over in Europe they are NOT allowed to own any of the breeds listed. If you are moving to SC, you should be fine there is BSL going on there too. Can you tell me where in SC and I can look and see if there are any breed bans there. But most of SC is ok with Dboes, just not Rotties and Pit Bulls.

Sorry Von, you know how very passionate I am about this. ;) I am just not gonna stand by idlely and let the govt or anyone else tell me I can't own a breed I love and that others can't own breeds they love because of bad people, that's supposed to be ok to the rest of us??? Ok ok I won't ramble, lol You can Von, i would love that but will still help Dela with tthe rescue ;)

Back