Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Homeowners FUMING Over Neighborhood’s New Thirteen Breed Dog Ban

Discussion in 'Breed Specific Legislation' started by strykerdobe, Apr 9, 2018.

1. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Homeowners FUMING Over Neighborhood's New Thirteen Breed Dog Ban

Homeowners FUMING Over Neighborhood’s New Thirteen Breed Dog Ban
    By Andrew West April 9, 2018

[​IMG]

In modern America, certain passions have risen to the forefront in 2018, with U.S. citizens rediscovering some of the great tropes from the turn of the last century, and giving them a modern twist.
    Take Crossfit for example. If you’re unfamiliar with Crossfit, it is a very intense workout regimen that operates competitively within clubs, using bare bones equipment such as tires, heavy ropes, kettle balls, and free weights. These guys get a pretty bad reputation for their cult like demeanor and elitist attitudes, not to mention the exorbitant cost of Crossfit gym memberships where Americans are paying well over $100 per month to participate.

It is the modern day equivalent of the old-timey, barbell-lifting sideshow strongmen of the past but with Reebok endorsements.

Coffee and craft beer have also come back to haunt us from the past, with Americans growing sick of the McDonald’s style homogenization of intake. Variety is truly the spice of life, and we had to survive the bland and circular 80’s and 90’s to somehow remember that.

And, in another parallel to the culture of 118 years ago, Americans are finding themselves in quintessentially American pets.

Dogs such as the Boston Terrier and American Staffordshire Terrier are more popular than ever not only of their goofy and aloof temperaments, but because of the nostalgia that they bring to us. They remind us of American ingenuity and stubbornness, and the freedom of the people of our land to make what they will with what they have.

Now, one neighborhood in Kentucky is bucking back against Americans, the American Staffordshire Terrier, and twelve other breeds with unethical new “breed bans” that homeowners are helpless against.

Homeowners in McConnell’s Trace were sent letters by the neighborhood developer detailing a change in an existing dog restriction, which previously referred only to unspecified “aggressive breeds,” said Josh McCurn, president of the area’s neighborhood association. Now German shepherds, St. Bernards and chows are among the list of 11 dog breeds restricted from the neighborhood.

And while this article quotes 11 breeds as being banned, they have made an error by lumping several breeds into the nonexistent “pit bulls” category – an erroneously used catchall term for dogs of a certain appearance that makes no determination of their actual lineage.

The 13 breeds being banned by the neighborhood developer are:

• German Shepherds
    • Rottweilers
    • Mastiffs
    • Doberman Pinschers
    • American Staffordshire Terriers
    • American Pit Bull Terriers
    • Staffordshire Bull Terriers
    • Huskies
    • Alaskan Malamutes
    • Chows
    • Great Danes
    • St. Bernards
    • Akitas
    In the original language of the list, a caveat was added to the Staffordshire Bull Terrier entry: “and ‘any dogs containing characteristics of these breeds'”. Below is a photograph of the menacing characteristics of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier:

[​IMG]
    Oh, the horror.
    These breed bans, which are incredibly prevalent in modern society, are completely illogical and often based upon uneducated and preconceived notions about the appearance of an animal. They take into account nothing about the behavior of the dog, the dog’s history, the owner’s competence, or the behavior of the people interacting with the dog.

Let’s think about breed bans in terms of firearms: The developer for McConnell’s Trace basically listed 13 breeds of “assault” dog that they are banning from the neighborhood, based on the same logic of why an AR-15 is an “assault” rifle: Appearance alone.

• Like Like x 3
  2. strykerdobe

This is another reason why you should not live in a housing development that has a Home Owners Association!

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

That is actually a very interesting article! It talks about Crossfit, craft beer, and coffee – two of which I have experience with and opinions on. They posit that there is a trend toward American breeds of dogs. I don't agree with that position. The only American breed that is trending is the Boston Terrier. The others are your Boxers, Great Danes, Weimaraners, Vislas, Bernese Mountain Dogs, Pugs, and of course the French Bulldog. My source? Just look around!

But yes, these breed bans are a bad thing. Saint Bernards? Huh? Great Danes? The modern day Dane in America strikes me as a wimp!

Years ago, the mobile home community in which my Mom lived had a list of banned breeds. I was not allowed to bring my Doberman there, but of course I did. There were Pit Bull-type dogs living there and another Doberman but they were grandfathered in.

Huskies, Malamutes and Wolf-hybrids (and if I remember correctly, coyote hybrids?) were also on the list. This was in Tucson, AZ. I remember thinking: Huskies? Then again, I have seen an example of a smaller male Husky that was pretty ferocious and got the better of my American Bulldog / Pit Bull cross (who I believe had another level she did not click into, thankfully for all involved).

4. Oh Little Oji

Is that what this McConnells Trace is?

5. strykerdobe

It seems to be. It mentions president of the area’s neighborhood association.

6. GOD'S GRACE

GOD'S GRACE Notable member

This is why I don't live in an HOA neighbor....I'd be fined daily for criminal activity!! I've got the best CRAB GRASS in town!
    The dislike for these people cuts deep to the bone...none of them can mind their own business, let alone mine!
    @strykerdobe we do you do this to me!!! LOL...:spit:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Oh Little Oji

I was recently thinking about what breed I might own when I finally get too old and frail to have such a large, explosive breed as the Doberman. A small breed I would like to have is the American Staffordshire Terrier – you know, the sort of small version of the Pit Bull. Unfortunately, my wife nixes the idea out of hand.

• Funny Funny x 5
  8. GOD'S GRACE

Build that Bus and leave at night!! :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 6
  9. Oh Little Oji

This, I suspect, is why I am glad to have you as my online neighbor.

• Funny Funny x 6
  10. GOD'S GRACE

When I was working back in the day, my Exec. Admin introduced a new employee to me by telling her this is our Boss Robert, a bit of an a$$ but you'll like him once you get to know him...

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. strykerdobe

I know what you mean about getting a smaller Breed.
    Here is mine.

• Funny Funny x 6
  12. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

I’d go the :censored: off if this was the political section;)
    :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Oh Little Oji

And roll on away from the greatest evidence I've found of the existence of angels among us on this earth?

• Appreciation Appreciation x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. Oh Little Oji

Oops! I meant to type the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, not the Am Staff. The Am Staff, of course being essentially a full-sized Pit Bull; the Staffie being the small one.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Gelcoater

Size has nothing to do with it;)
    3BE678D2-5641-4EDD-8DF3-21BC48621E84.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  16. GOD'S GRACE

I'm now quoting a quote of a quote...LOL:cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Oh Little Oji

I know. I figure I will refine my training by the time I get "old."

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Oh Little Oji

That is actually a really awesome photo: A studly, Euro/working-looking Doberman, with his cajones in place, being handled by a little girl.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. Gelcoater

Yep. :love:

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Who's old?? :tap:

• Funny Funny x 5