Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Small/Medium Sized Breeds Suited To Make a Doberman’s Sibling

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by RexsMom, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

As I said: What I've seen around.

Granted, most all of them are probably from shelters.

2. Atingles10

Atingles10 Notable member

We actually had Boston terriers and dobermans growing up together! My mom currently has a 6year old, 15lb female Boston terrier and our doberman Red LOVES going over to play. She runs the show of course but they play for hours. Our guy is good about being gentle with her. They play fetch and tug o war with each other for hours. 20190902_094421.jpg 20190817_123505.jpg

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. Rodyboy

Rodyboy Jr Member

That is awesome!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Low to no shed? Do not get a Dalmatian. They constantly shed.

Poodle, schnauzers & Parson Terrier typically do not shed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I understand, just thought it was important the OP got accurate info.

6. Oh Little Oji

Easy enough to search the web for a breed standard. Have you, in the last several years, seen many Boxers that appear to conform to the breed standard – I mean not in dog shows? I'd welcome the sight. I'd also love the sight of a cropped one. A good Boxer can be visually be in the same realm as a good Doberman. I've only seen one Boxer in the last maybe dozen years that has been impressive. I never got the chance to talk to the owner, but should have made a more concerted effort.

7. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I have, they are a very popular dog breed around here. There are 3 in my neighborhood that walk by my house every day. One male that I have really taken a liking to. He's a brindle named Oscar.

8. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

We have a cropped one in the neighborhood but it's FAT. I think the guy also has a rottie so not sure if a fit boxer looks underfed next to a thicker, stockier rottie? There was one in our last neighboorhood who was very sweet and that we saw routinely walked by our house or during our evening walks. She was usually in the yard by herself, rushing the fence.

There's a lady who's got a pair of boxers in agility so they're the most fit boxers I've seen but uncropped.

My aunt and uncle have had two boxers in my lifetime. Both very sweet but my uncle is of the mindset that a dog will respect a master and didn't seem to want his dogs to think for themselves. He loved his dogs but they were fed dirt cheap food, too much of it, and were always very timid.

OH! This is Tasha, my aunt and uncles most recent fat boxer. Tobie was about 91lbs at the time this was taken. Also why they're called Boxers, I believe. She passed away 3 years to the day that Tobes did. I suspect from DMC.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Every Boxer that came in to be treated from a dog fight, the majority of the wounds were on the legs.
    They use their paws to box their opponents.

The last one we had to suture up was our neighbor's boxer that mixed it up with their 2yr old Pittie. Now unfortunately they are having to crate and rotate.
    The cause of the fight was their male Manchester/Chi mix. That little dog is an instigator of all things bad!! He has bitten me twice when I first started taking care of their dogs. Then he realized I was the food lady and he decided it was best not to bite me.
    The boxer is overweight 93lbs, about 26” but is a sweet dog.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Oh Little Oji

Oji is huge into playfighting using his front paws. You should hear the sound of those clubs impacting a rib cage. I enjoy seeing two dogs rear up and try to best each other in play. Oji almost always wins, what with his being a 28" dog with deceptive strength for his narrow build and mere 70 lbs.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Seems that is how my two play all the time. It’s always front paws on the other while on their hind legs.
    The average person is not familiar with how Dobermans play and invariably think they are fighting when in reality it’s only play, although it can turn into a fight quickly if one gets suckered pawed. :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lizbeli

Lizbeli Hot Topics Subscriber

Im just going to give another vote for American Staffordshire Terriers. My previous dog was an adopted AmStaff. Gosh he was so handsome. Id say he was easier in terms of energy. He was up for anything but much more mellow in the house compared to my dobie. However, he had prey drive like I have never seen, and was a serious dog (not that dobermans aren’t). He was also pretty reactive but his history of being in a dog fight (according to vet records) could be why. He was smart and great with kids. Big cuddler too.

5489719F-C229-4021-97A7-E046A71008E8.jpeg

• Like Like x 1