Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Small/Medium Sized Breeds Suited To Make a Doberman’s Sibling

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by RexsMom, Nov 10, 2019 at 2:09 PM.

1. RexsMom

RexsMom Member

Looking to getting a small or medium sized sibling for Rex! I would like another Doberman, but my house is on the smaller side and a bigger dog equals more money as well.
    I’m nervous about a small dog because Dobermans are a larger breed which can hurt a smaller pup. Has anyone had problems with this?

Does anyone have a different breed along with a Doberman that is a good fit? I was thinking maybe a female Boston Terrier or a Boxer because I hear they are high energy. I have never seen them in person, so I’m not sure the size.

I also need a dog that doesn’t shed much or at all due to allergies.

Any recommendations or personal experiences would help!

• Like Like x 1
  2. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

Hm... Boxers are about the same size as Dobes. Don't know much about Boston Terriers bit they've never really appealed to me, personally.

You want a high energy dog with short hair? I think poodles are the most popular non-shedders but they're also similar in size to Dobes and obviously their coat requires a lot of care. French bulldogs are currently wildly popular and are definitely full of personality. A Vizsla or German Short Haired Pointer would be on the smaller side but they have energy for actual days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DD4MSpock

DD4MSpock Hot Topics Subscriber

What about a Lab? I was thinking about a black lab as a sibling for my potential Dobie.

4. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

Belgian Malinois :thumbsup2:, jk. But in all honesty any dog can do well with any dog with proper training and a solid pack leader. I’ve been trying to convince the wife that we need a schnauzer for the last few months lol. However she’s set on dobe #2. Lol.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Member

Agree with Ruby, Boxers and standard poodles are about the same size as a Dobe, plus be sure to look up health problems of any breed you look at. Dobermans aren't the only ones with problems! Any flat faced breeds tend to have breathing and eye problems. poodles are great, just get a toy or medium instead of a standard. They are highly trainable, some small breed dogs are not. Whippets are fun, but more of a challenge to train, and in cold climate def need jackets. Love to hear what you go with!

• Like Like x 1
  6. LifeofRubie

We have an English Lab and he's an excellent Dobe sibling because he lets her be boss b*tch :D he's a couple inches shorter than the Dobe but about 13lbs heavier; English Labs are thicker and stockier than their American counterpoints. Very, very smart and very, VERY happy! A lot of hair, though!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

If I couldn’t have another Dobe, I’d want something sort of matching at least as far as their markings are concerned. Like a Min Pin or Manchester Terrier. I forget, do you have a cat too? I think terriers might be problematic with cats. Definitely have to research what the breed itself is like and whether it’s suitable for your lifestyle. Big bonus if the new dog can tire out your Doberman!

8. Brioddy

Brioddy Notable member

What is medium sized to you? My female American Pit Bull Terrier can hang with the best of them, and she’s 45 pounds. Well, she’s older now so more around 50 but in her prime 45 is her ideal weight. However dog aggression can and does pop up in these types so something to look out for, but they are super athletic and loving dogs!

My house is small at around 800 square feet. Nobody is cramped or uncomfortable including 220 pounds of dog, a parrot, and two adults.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

I have found that Jazzie matches play energy with Australian cattle dogs well. They are usually about half the size but that can vary. They are working dogs but with a different temperament to the Doberman and they are super intelligent and energetic but without the inclination to disobedience so very easy to train. If I was looking for a sibling for Jazz that wouldn't add too much to my training workload then that is what I would choose. Coat is about medium and there isn't too much shedding except for the seasonal change. I do like whippets too, but they might be a bit timid for a Dobe?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I had to rate funny because of the Malinois comment.
    I would avoid any brachycephalic breed due to breathing problems and if you travel with them a lot of airlines won’t accept them due to that.

A Pharaoh Hound, or Basenji could match your Dobe’s energy level. They do well in small spaces but they are Sight Hounds and are easily distracted by scents and have a significant prey drive. I don’t think they do well with cats or other small animals, but training is essential to overcome this.
    The German Pinscher would be my choice and they are smaller and do well in smaller homes.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

@MyBuddy I think this thread is screaming for pics of Buddy and his mini me :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. Tropicalbri's

The ultimate speed demon “Kali” will run circles around the Dobie. You are correct @GennyB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Energy and can take a beating... typically 40-50lbs. Id say an American Staffordshire Terrier (AKC show version of a "Pitbull") Or you can go smaller with a Staffordshire Bull Terrier (Staffie)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I admit, when I was looking for a small dog and saw Kali, the 'lookalike' feature of my Doberman, Buddy, drew me in! I checked out several before her that didn't work out for one reason or another. But they have been perfect companions from the start!

20191024_150841.jpg 20191101_080238.jpg 20191106_105344.jpg 20191027_084626.jpg

• Like Like x 9
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  15. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

My mind went to MyBuddy (see above), and @AresMyDobie, who also has a Chi mix.

For a while I was mistakenly under the impression my wife was considering a 2nd dog and wanted it to be fairly small. I looked at several breeds. She likes Frenchies, but no way would I be seen with a breed that is so trendy.

I disagree that Boxers are about Doberman size – at least what I see out there modern day. Boxers I see around seem to be in the 45 - 55 lb. range.

Viszlas seem to run smaller, but I think GSPs are comparable to Dobe size, if a bit smaller.

I looked at Bostons and found that some breeders, including a member here @DanBar breeds for an old style that has less of a pushed in snout. If I recall, there is something called the Boston Bull Terrier. ?

Speaking of which, there is the Bull Terrier with its egg-shaped head. I know there are miniature Bull Terriers, but I don't know about how good an idea it is to breed for miniatures.

As mentioned by someone above, there is the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, which looks like a mini Pit Bull. It's not a miniature of the larger dog though. It's its own breed. This was near the top of my list when I was looking for a smallish dog. An acquaintance has one and it is really cool looking and acting. I would think this breed could handle rough play.

Just some thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
  16. LifeofRubie

While spending some time avoiding work this morning, I actually went to the AKCs website and seared for "medium" dogs that are "infrequent" shedders and are "energetic" or "regular exercise" type breeds.

American Water Spaniel
    Barbet
    Cirneco dell'Etna
    Hamiltonstorvare
    Kerry Blue Terrier
    Logotto Romagnolo
    Standard Poodle
    Puli
    Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
    Spanish Water Dog
    Standard Schnauzer
    Xoloitzcuintli

While they aren't shedders, I would say 75 of the dogs on that list require a lot of hair maintenance judging by the looks of their pictures!

Change the search results to "occasional" shedders and some more familiar breeds show up:

Airedale
    American English Coonhoud
    American Staffordshire Terrier
    English Cocker Spaniel
    Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    Whippet, etc.

I love learning about breeds of dogs that I never knew about!

17. Tropicalbri's

If you want to tire your Dobie out the perfect dog for that is the JRT.

They are tough and active dogs and are compact.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. obbanner

obbanner $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

We had extremely good luck with our 14 pound Sheltie Sabrina and the Dobermans. She bonded with the male, Cooper, from the beginning. She and Anna play, but they didn't really bond together. Shedding isn't a problem if she's brushed for about five minutes about once a week.

We met Sabrina's breeder at a pet store because she was passing near us on the way to a show and she meets Cooper.

20130201_153735.jpg

Sabrina adored Cooper.

20150728_183736-CooperInPoolSabrinaWatching-Cropped.jpg

I set up this shot to show the difference in sizes and they gave me a cute picture.

Articles P1210574-LookingAtEachOther-Articles-Cropped.JPG

Sabrina goes up to Cooper in a practice session.

CooperBreenyAnna-Cropped1.jpg

My last picture of Cooper and Sabrina together just before he died. We're coming down the mountain in the fog and they looked so worried, I took a selfie. (I drive back roads at low speed. If I'm going on major highways, I put them in their cages.)

CooperSabrinaAndMe.jpg

Sabrina shut down and wouldn't work after Cooper died Thanksgiving, 2017. I'm almost 70, so didn't plan on getting any more Dobermans. However, I heard about a breeding of the frozen sperm of Coopers father, and I had to have Cooper's half brother. We got AJ May 2018, and Sabrina perked up again and started working a few months later. She got only one qualifying score in all of 2018 at the last herding trial for the year, but it was a biggie, the title leg for her Herding Ranch Dog title.

Sabrina and AJ. Sabrina likes to walk under Cooper and AJ. She just walked back to front under AJ to see what he is playing with.

62563989_2832458560114897_7853754842160824320_n.jpg

Anna and Sabrina play together, but they don't have the same bond.

P1180411-AnnaBreenyCropped.JPG

The big dogs can injure the little dogs, though. When Sabrina was 11 months, she got run over by Cooper. It was her fault, as she liked to run underneath Cooper when he and Anna were playing. Fortunately it happened when she was still a baby, as the joint was still forming and it healed on its own without surgery. A few days after Sabrina got her splint and I was told to keep her quiet, she was running underneath Cooper again!

RS_P1220185.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019 at 4:03 PM
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  19. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I was going to say a JRT too since they're little power packs of energy and extremely intelligent like a Doberman.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I think they are supposed to be about the size of a dobie, slightly smaller but close.
    upload_2019-11-11_16-56-10.png

• Agree Agree x 2