Random Photo of the Day - 2019 - post yours!

It's been pretty hot these last few days. Yesterday was the worst! One of those days where you walk outside and say, oh my God! You can cut the air with a knife! Even Buddy said it was too damn hot to go outside. Whenever we go outside on the deck, you better bring him with because he will be inside barking to be let out. My husband went out with him and had to let him back in. It was too damn hot out there, even in the shade. He came in and said, Ahhhhhh.

20190706_074204.webp
 
These dogs can't seem to handle the heat too well compared to others I have had. I noticed that Jasper is laying in the shade and burnt out after just a few ball throws. Our walks also have a few breaks now because I am worried he will overheat.
 
Isn’t it wonderful? :spit: K definitely has ideal operating conditions. He’s so amped up in the cooler mornings and evenings that we regularly turn off the AC in the house just to keep him in a calmer state haha.

I feel bad saying it but it is nice to be done with physical activities in half the time. Its too hot for me too.

So Jasper seems to like the water which makes me super happy. I couldn’t let him off leash but he wanted to go deeper. I have the next two days off and I am hoping we can start some swimming!

Any tips? My father used to throw the dogs into the water when I was a kid and they eventually got used to it. But I don't want to force Jasper in. Im thinking if throwing rocks into the water and seeing if he will follow. I might still have a life vest from my past dog. Hm.

His e collar is 100% waterproof which is nice. Don’t want a leash to wrap around him while swimming.

1E321609-BB6E-43E4-BF36-61BB132E9ABB.webp
 
I feel bad saying it but it is nice to be done with physical activities in half the time. Its too hot for me too.

So Jasper seems to like the water which makes me super happy. I couldn’t let him off leash but he wanted to go deeper. I have the next two days off and I am hoping we can start some swimming!

Any tips? My father used to throw the dogs into the water when I was a kid and they eventually got used to it. But I don't want to force Jasper in. Im thinking if throwing rocks into the water and seeing if he will follow. I might still have a life vest from my past dog. Hm.

His e collar is 100% waterproof which is nice. Don’t want a leash to wrap around him while swimming.

View attachment 97805
Use a long line if you’re not sure about the e-Collar? Toss a favorite toy in to make him retrieve it. It’s how I introduced Kaiser to his kiddie pool. He needed a reason to go in and not just assume it was a large water dish haha. A life vest is supposed to help them feel more stable too.
 
I’ve taught all my dogs to swim since young pups and every one would live in the water if you let them. In my opinion the key is to not push or overwhelm them, but let them decide how far to go. Offer encouragement but allow it to be their idea. If you have an area where the bank slopes off gradually into deeper water is ideal. Also if you have access to another confident water dog that helps a ton. It took Brinks a long time to figure out how to swim without doing the infamous Dobie front paw splash n sink but he did eventually get it and now he is an ace swimmer. The only time I’ve ever used a vest on any of the dogs was Oddy when we embarked on a sketchy kayak camping trip in extremely tidal and current ridden waters.
 
I agree with allowing your dog to set his own pace. The first few swim attempts will probably have him a bit startled as they are definitely NOT natural swimmers but just stay calm and positive and be ready to "save" him if he gets into trouble. If you go in too it encourages him to try but the downside is that at this stage he will try to climb on you for sure with the resulting scratches on you! I found that the really hot weather solved the problem as the water became the most attractive part of our daily walk. Proper swimming came in small stages until Jazz is now a very capable swimmer, and fast! :thumbsup:
 
Thanks for the tips guys. I think I found a perfect spot. Its in a cove, saltwater, and off the walking path so people don't think to go there. Less distractions is always preferable. Of course its supposed to rain tomorrow which stinks because I am looking forward to it!
 
Rubie LIVES for the sun. It was well into the 80s last week and she would run outside, plop down, and bask. Moo has the right idea about staying in the shade.
How long does she last ? :D Buddy will ask to go outside many times. Only to plop down in the sun and look at me like, Ahhhhhh... But when its really hot, he will finally caved and come back, like, let me in! :wtf3: I think being in the A/C cools him off enough that he can sit in the sun for a while. But that's it...only a while. :D


This morning was only 62 degrees when I got up! When we went outside it was still only in the 60's. They loved it!
20190708_074332.webp
 
It was another dog date Monday, I haven’t been going on hikes because it’s just too hot for a hairy black dog (and me). Did you know you can take your dog into Ross? Well you can! I highly suggest it, particularly if you relish in the fearful gasps of “urbanites” and need a second opinion on new bath rugs. A few kids and two ladies loved on him but other than that it was like being accompanied by a monster LOL. Meanwhile he’s walking politely in a heel the entire time.

DE0A7FF2-CC8B-42EB-8A18-317CDB694C6F.webp 3007A457-854B-4E67-8A3E-03958D5E476E.webp
 
Love that pic......vet told me he looked like a watermelon on toothpicks!!!! Always had a stick hangin out of his mouth looking cool........just like Hoss on the Bonanza show.......if anyone out there remembers this show.......here is another .......Hoss sneaking up on the water bowl........oh their little sharkeys for such a short time !!
 

Attachments

  • hosssss.webp
    hosssss.webp
    56.2 KB · Views: 21

Back
Top