• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Questions re cropping viewed as cruelty or not

Yep, note the tip on manuka honey at end. Little bottle lives in the dog medical tackle box when traveling...good for the fly or spider bites on the tips of the leathers or the little hematomas at end from shaking water out of floppy ear head ...

We got a lot of black widders here very mild in toxin so not a biggee and we both get bit once in awhile when bushwhacking or sitting on logs taking a break... you can tell by the fang marks...
Just don't pick at them- just a little triple antibiotic or honey works best. Let it heal.
Wow, so Black Widow bites are not really dangerous? I grew up being told they can be deadly (or at least quite harmful. Maybe I made up the deadly part based on – hello – the name)

Wait. I'm being an idiot. Isn't it that the female spider kills its mate?
 
Wow, so Black Widow bites are not really dangerous? I grew up being told they can be deadly (or at least quite harmful. Maybe I made up the deadly part based on – hello – the name)

Wait. I'm being an idiot. Isn't it that the female spider kills its mate?
Yes it depends some on where, how sensitive- I guess also the size... the females kill the males, common in insect world. We got wolf spiders that will jump ya if you mess with then, and then there are orb weavers that make YUGE webs in one night and sit right in the middle so if you are walking the garden, HOA paths to pool, or trails and suddenly you realize its wrapped around your head...ya gotta remind yourself...
"DONT PANIC ITs HARMLESS...as you brush all that sticky and occasionally wiggly stuff off your face...🤪

https://search.brave.com/search?q=s...ersation=09a90ad00042a690026fcaa15cc9f51c8568

And brown widows aka brown recluse- a different venom that can result in a necrotic wound...thankfully we dont see those as much here...

Just in time for your Halloween nightmares...
Lol.

And...

Wait, I'm going wayyyyy OT here.
Sorry OP @SmtmsAlwys did we drive you off with "TMI"...😆🤪🤷🏻‍♂️ sorry!
 
Part of the reason that this is a hot topic lately is that while AVMA has recommended against cropping ears since 2008

It appears a Board Decision by AAHA American Animal Hospital Association in 2025 that lumped ear crops (a cosmetic procedure that does NOT take away a function)

in with cat declawing (which is removing a functional musculo-skeletal item)

And with canine devocalization (another weird thing that i think is a take away of key ability)

So I'd have to read further, as to how critical these guidelines on certification are...

But I get a weird vibe this is more political collusion for some one-upsmanship in progressive nannyism than for the benefit of the dogs...call me a conspiracy theorist but who ever thought the AMA and CDC would go around the bend on COVID pushing vaccines on kids, even babies...

Oh well....maybe I need to take that theory to go under the OffTopics Politics approved user security wall if I'm sounding "political"...

maybe the EUSocialists will take my birthday away for questioning their authoritah...

So no political comments!

I mean, back in the day in the german dogsport clubs ya brought the family, sat and watched the dogsport, have a cold one...someone needs to remind the FCI HOA spy karens to lighten up?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2175.webp
    IMG_2175.webp
    113.7 KB · Views: 0
Boom. There you go. I will also say that ear damage can occur in accidental dog fights that can happen anywhere at any time. No, of course I'm not saying everyone should get their dogs' ears cropped not matter what breed – LOL.

I do know that my last Doberman, Oji, fought with two dogs at the nearby park.It was a somewhat complicated situation which involved me having an argument with the two dogs' owner who is an idiot. He always sped up the street in his Suburban, pulled right up in front of the building and let his two dogs out off leash. One day after he drove too close and fast to Oji and me I confronted him and called him out. He backed down but with a punk attitude.

So, one day after that, I had Oji off leash at that large park doing retrieving and that idiot roared in in his Suburban and let his dogs off leash. Unfortunately, Oji disobeyed and ran over to his two dogs. A dog fight/scrap ensued. I ran over, assuring the man my dog would not hurt his. I put Oji on a heel, and he obeyed that nicely. Then the man was smarting off to me so... I released Oji and he proceeded to fight the guys two dogs again. :rofl:

I did not see any damage though. This is how it's been with all my Dobes. They don't seem to really do, or receive any damage.

Some days or a couple weeks later, I was at the park with my daughter and this fool is there with dogs off leash and he was talking on the phone. He gets within earshot of us and yells at us that my dog had torn his dog's ear "off." Then he proceeded to shout a profanity in front of my young daughter – like the bastard that he is.

You were very lucky nothing worse happened on these different dates.
Especially with your daughter present.
Crazy people …are crazy.
Glad you are OK.
 
You were very lucky nothing worse happened on these different dates.
Especially with your daughter present.
Crazy people …are crazy.
Glad you are OK.
I can sympathize with @Oh Little Oji
There is a tendency to run to the sound of gunfire, be the SheepDog, protect the weak.

I've stepped up once or twice at dogparks to back someone being semi threatened by crazy guy. But honestly...its a crap shoot, and I'm not the Dog Park police, and the cops are so close I remind myself to just call them to do that job.

Now if I see crazy person or out of control dog in or coming in, I quietly leashup abd go elsewhere or sut in car listen to music until that element passes.

Much less stressful, good lesson for dog, less vet bills. Better risk reward for this old fat man...🤣
 

Back
Top