Polluting the purity of the breed

I think the Kelpie or in our fantasy land cross the K/Dobe cross, would only be for a working dog home. Working as in Job To Do all day every day! But quick research says they are much like the Aus.Cattle Dog we have here. They need a job, they're good with family but not with strangers and generally pretty healthy. But not laid back.
I might be wrong but I think a Kelpie is basically an Australian Cattle Dog without the Dalmatian cross.

It's nice that Ripley is like this. She can be in another room and be fine. She will occasionally come check on me, maybe lay in the room with me, then leave and lay in another room. If I sit on the couch or go to bed she's definitely there with me as she lets out a big sigh. But she doesn't feel clingy.
Stassi only gets annoyingly clingy to me if I leave her all day at home while I’m at work. Non stop but pokes for me when I get home! But while I’m gone my wife says it’s almost unbearable how clingy she is. Constantly tripping over her and never goes more than a couple of feet away from her.

I'm not sure if it's coincidence or not but all of our females have been much more independent than the boys.

I'm not sure if it's coincidence or not but all of our females have been much more independent than the boys.
Just one more reason I preferred the females... I was not prepared for this much clingy, I'd never had it before. And the key word the breeder used to describe her was "independent" so I thought oh good, no velcro problems. I was wrong, but the independence part was still right. It just applied to everything except her needing to be in my immediate area.

I might be wrong but I think a Kelpie is basically an Australian Cattle Dog without the Dalmatian cross.
A Kelpie and a Cattle dog are two different breeds. A Kelpie is leaner and more focused than a cattle dog. Their breeding includes some collie types from Scotland but the breed really originated from one female called "kelpie" who was exceptional. She was pretty much what you see in the whole breed today. Goodness knows what DNA floats around in a Kelpie but in my opinion there is a "smidgen" of wild dingo somewhere in there. :rofl:

Just one more reason I preferred the females... I was not prepared for this much clingy, I'd never had it before. And the key word the breeder used to describe her was "independent" so I thought oh good, no velcro problems. I was wrong, but the independence part was still right. It just applied to everything except her needing to be in my immediate area.
Jazz is only really clingy if there is a storm on the way or she is unwell or in pain. She likes to be near where I am but doesn't have to be right on top of me. That's unless she thinks I've ignored her for too long or she needs something, then she will come and give me her eyes and flips whatever is distracting me away! No separation anxiety at all but is pleased when I come back. I feel blessed!

edit to add:- Very little whining! No tea kettle! Doubly blessed!

I’d cross Belgian Malinois/Dutch Shepherd in with the Dobermann to bring back drive and especially courage. Until you have worked a good Mail/Dutchie you really don’t understand just how pitiful of a working dog the Dobermann has become.

Back