1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Jazz progress report

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by jazzies mum, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Noooo! :laughing: That’s so gross! And bare fingers? Screeeeaaaam! Kaiser had one that wouldn’t come out as it was hanging by a long blade of grass and it made him buck like a bronco before I could reach him. The stupid thing fell on his hock! :facepalm: It was a long way back to the car as we were on a hike, so I thought, ok, it will dry up and crust off. No such luck. So there I am scrubbing his hock with a baby wipe, then another wipe, and another. The worst.

The tug toy looked like it would be durable with it’s big shape, but I was not optimistic with that fire hose material - it doesn’t last very long with their teeth. Kaiser made quick work of a snake toy made of that material.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

Oh dear..............:spit:. Sorry, the picture of trying to remove crusted poop before getting in the car was hilarious! Luckily I managed to remove Jazzies problem with the very end of my fingers, which I then scrubbed through the grass and held out to the side for the rest of the walk! :poop::eekwtf: Funny dog knew from previous occasions that no amount of jumping and bucking works so came for help, and stood like a statue while the job was done! Mums job is never done.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Been there. Done that. :wacky::wacky:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Member

LOL. What you call Dingleberries I've always called Willnots. They Will Not turn loose!

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. jazzies mum

Just some pics of Jazz working in her harness. She loves to see the harness come out as it means we are going for a long session somewhere new and interesting! jazz0302.JPG jazz0305.JPG
    The hands free leash system is a must for this! I have to give her the slow, slow command for downhill or she would pull just as enthusiastically as uphill, which could end in disaster in the rough country, and we are working on moving through trees and obstacles where she has to be very aware of my directions. She gets to have free time on the way back to just enjoy the walk, (gives me a rest too!)

• Like Like x 2
  6. jazzies mum

It's funny how sometimes circumstances give the opportunity to teach something useful! A couple of nights ago in the wee small hours Jazz went into alert mode and was creating her "get out of my territory" ruckus. I could hear sounds of cattle close so thought that was it and let her have her bark and then asked for quiet. She ramped things up instead. Finally I gave her my best :censored: QUIET, and started out of bed. Jazz came in and gave me the nose to face and intent look with madly wagging tail to try to tell me to come quick! She sat when asked and waited for me to get organised with a torch and lead then led me out to where the sneaky old bull was quietly destroying the bouganvillea bush!
    Team Jazz went into action. She was like a bundle of barely restrained energy but not lunging or dragging me around. She was barking and sometimes leaning into her flat collar enough to make her cough, but really just looking the part and we moved the old guy along. Then, job done, back to bed. Later he was back at another bush and this time Jazz just went to the door and barked, looked at me, then waited while I got myself organised again. This time she had the routine down with runs of 3 big barks, pause, three big barks. Still a little heavy on the collar at times but when the bull moved off I just told her "that'll do, back to bed", and she turned it off like a switch.
    Last night there was another raid. This time she came out, firmly into her collar and just in front of me doing her big bark act, but it was all for show. No desire to chase, but a delight in us going out and doing our job. She has learned that she can't do it alone, but together we can and she stays by me and plays her part. Then, when all is well she stops at a word and calmly goes and settles back down.
    Now I see this as a really useful thing for her to do when required. To appear to be a serious deterrent without the true heat would be ideal for me as most people wouldn't like to put it to the test. Wonder if it would be the same with a human intruder? Now she understands the routine I reckon it would!

Her other training is just making her responses more reliable and automatic with quieter commands, or just signals.
    Here is her distance down/wait, then recall. To see her in the first pic just look back to where the track curves and she is just in front of the tree on the far side. (Should put it in the "find me" thread!) jazz0316.JPG jazz0317.JPG

• Appreciation Appreciation x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Perfect find me shot! Wow, I really didn’t see her as I went to the pics before reading the text haha, I was worried about the condition of that flower bush that Jazz hangs out at, did it survive the bull encounter?

Her distance down and recall looks great! I think rural dogs tends to have more instinctual responses compared to city dogs, so I’d think she would be a great deterrent for human intruders.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

It’s clicking now...she has her role down quite well.

Great job.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  9. jazzies mum

The bull was having a snack on another Bouganvillea that is hedged. He ate some holes in the hedge! :sour: You wouldn't think that a beast that is over a ton could sneak around so quietly but Jazz is onto him. Poor Jazz just has to get Mum up to scratch in getting up to help see to him. (Realistically it is me the bull is moving away from, but I don't tell Jazz that!)
    Yes, she is already a deterrent and the odd visitor who wanders too close, hears the big dog bark and wanders casually away...............or in some cases a minor bolt away! :woot2: Having her willing to stand with me, bark and look the part would be a bonus, but just the look of her would probably do in any case. :)

@Ddski5 She has settled a lot over the last two months. All she lacks is more experience of the world to hone the rough edges down a little. Then she will just cruise along with whatever comes her way. She'll get some city living and camping, travelling in the not too distant future and it will be interesting to see how long it takes for her to chill!

• Like Like x 2
  10. jazzies mum

All that training for distance obedience is working! This morning we came across some camels quite without warning. Jazz was a bit ahead of me when I noticed and called to her. She stopped and went into her down/stay when I asked. She stayed planted there while I took pics and wandered up to her. She was really relaxed about it all! :thumbsup: jazz0335.JPG jazz0334.JPG

She actually took a bit of a run at this big bull as we walked by, which surprised me, but came straight off him when I told her to Leave It. It is her protective side coming through when she wants to front up to critters that are too close to us for her peace of mind! jazz0336.JPG

• Wow x 4
  11. Diane Law

Diane Law Hot Topics Subscriber

Ah......new member here...but where do live live .....in which there are camels roaming around in the woods???........I am from Florida .........I find this interesting.......

12. jazzies mum

I am in Australia, living in an inland area that is pretty arid most of the time. These camels have free range but are not native or feral. They actually belong to someone who breeds them and uses some for camel rides.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Great job. Sounds like the same battle I have been fighting the last year.

Yes, I am pleased that Ragnar no longer turns into a frothing asshat and chases/fronts up to other animals. It is something that we have worked really hard on this last year. I guess through desensitization and repetitiveness, he finally understood all that craziness was unnecessary. Have to admit though, it took a lot of work and patience.

Now he will give the earnest appearance that he is going but I call him down and he adheres to the command pretty well.

Such a good feeling of accomplishment!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Sounds like she is doing great! Wanting to explore but willing to listen. It’s such a relief when you can call them off. I don’t have that with Kaiser so he’s never off leash with me alone, but wouldn’t it be nice if I could! Ya, interesting to see the camels there too, I had to do a double-take that it was you posting.

• Like Like x 2
  15. jazzies mum

Being female I think Jazz is a bit easier to call off. The e collar made all the difference to her and she knows to come back with the voice, or else. She still needs a stim on rare occasions, (when there is a Dingo there!), but mostly a sharp command does the trick.
    Something I do every now and then is take the chuckit with me on our walk. Jazz loves it so much she sticks to my side like glue, only moving away a little for a sniff around but keeping her eye on me in case I decide to throw! Works really well but if I do it too often, she will start to nag me on every walk to engage her in a game, so I do it only when she seems to be regularly wandering too far. The retuning lasts a couple of weeks!

• Like Like x 3
  16. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

The Chuck It is just awesome!

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Well done!!! :thumbsup: I wonder what my two would think of camel!?? :spit:

Very nice! Hard work paying off!!

• Like Like x 2
  18. jazzies mum

Jazz and I are in Townsville, a busy urban environment, so very different to the quiet freedom we are used to.

For those of you with crazy puppies who are wondering if your little devil will ever be a good citizen I can say now that if you keep up the training there is a point of breakthrough where you know it has all payed off and they make you so very proud. Today was that day for Jazz!

I have been avoiding using dog parks when there are other dogs there but today there were four very active dogs there who looked like they could handle Dober play so after getting the ok from the owners in we went. Jazz greeted them, and then refocused on me and the ball. We did the agility course that was in there and played fetch with other dogs racing for the ball as well. She showed no reaction to them at all, it was as if they didn't exist. She went through all her snappy sits, downs, stays etc and kept keen eye contact with me, waiting for the next command. I'm sure there will still be some occasions when it falls apart, but she has shown me her full potential, and it's magic when it happens!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

• Appreciation Appreciation x 6
  19. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

What fantastic news. Jazz has really bloomed and proven herself! Kudos to both of you.
    :love:

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Isn’t it the greatest feeling when you reap those rewards? You must be bursting with pride, what an achievement!
    She’s very attentive to you, that’s all your hard work paying off :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1