J&J Zonas alternative?

swm_good

Jr Member
Hello All,

Long time lurker but decided to register and make my first post!

I am expecting my pup from the breeder in a few days. Her ears were cropped about a week ago (7 weeks old), so I will wait until the stitches are out and ears are healed before I start posting. (I'll post some pics soon!)

So far, I've gotten all the necessities for a new puppy, along with the ear posting materials with the method I am going to be using but I cannot for the life of me find Zonas tape anywhere. I am a little hesitant buying it from Ebay/Amazon where I've been sent knock-offs of other products before.

Is there any alternative to the J&J Zonas tape for taping the ears? I have called all over and nobody on the retail side seems to carry J&J Zonas near me. It has been discontinued so I wonder what other Doberman owners are using nowadays? I do not want to cut any corners at all.

I will be using Uni-Solve to remove the tape, as well as using caldesene powder prior to posting/taping to help with the removal process after a few days when I switch the posts out.

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you.

Hi!

See post #19 in the following thread. It's confirmed that a very good alternative to J&J Zonas is Kendall Curity.

https://doberman-chat.com/threads/i’m-new-here.32912/#post-618817

I second Kendall. Bought a big box on Amazon and it worked great. Surprisingly went through most of it for changing posts every 4-5 days.

I can't even find the 2" Zonas, so I just ordered the Kendall tape.

I will upload some photos when she is posted, as of right now I probably should wait another week or so that the ears completely heal (She was cropped exactly a week ago and as of right now is on day 7 of her 10 day antibiotics regimen).

Thank you all for the assistance and thank you for the link Jan!

:thumbsup2:

I forgot to say that most of us use the 1" tape but you can always cut the 2" in half.

Jan, I ended up purchasing the 1" rolls from the link you provided me.

Here's a photo from yesterday:

image0.jpg

She got her stitches removed today and it's looking good, our family vet I took her to said everything looks great. At almost 9 weeks, she's at
14-1/2 lbs. There is still a couple of scabs that I'm waiting to fall off but I should be able to start posting next week.

I'm still debating whether I want to go with the backer rod/bumper method or try the tampon method. Either way, do you recommend Torbot bonding cement for the process?

I appreciate the help! :thumbsup2:

If all fails in finding tape I got good paper tape at a medical supply ( they sell wheelchairs canes ect) tape works well. I also agree I erred by not putting the post in far enough the first couple of times, it seems to me she was more comfortable when in deeper.

Aww what a cutie!
Either way, do you recommend Torbot bonding cement for the process?
That's totally personal preference. I prefer the Torbot adhesive since it's way faster than back wrapping the tape on the rods (IMO) but then you'd also want to get some of the Uni-solve adhesive remover to clean them up nice when you change them.

Thank you!

I think I'll just pass on the Torbot for now. If I have issues in the near future where posts are popping out, I'll resort to using it.

I attempted to post yesterday but had to remove them a few hours after. She was scratching her ear so bad the skin around the base off the ear was getting really red and probably was going to start bleeding soon. For a puppy, man she has some power swinging those rear paws to scratch!

I'm trying not to use too much unnecessary tape and the posts held in place fine but she just scratches her left ear so much, I worried, uni-solved the tape and removed them.

I'm taking her to a local cropper/vet hopefully tomorrow where they will post her ears for me. He has been in the biz for 50+ years in CA and is very reputable. I'll see what he says before I try to post again. I went with the tampon method to post which seemed to work out great.

I did notice one of her ears is a bit lazy, generally when making sounds only one of her wants to stand, the other is just flopped over. Hopefully this corrects itself in time seeing as she is going on 10 weeks old?

Anyhow - here are some pics of the post and the ears unposted:

Ear1.png

Ear2.png

The scab on this ear fell out on it's own before I posted her.

Front.pngRear.pngRear2.png

Cuuuuuuute! Her eyes are so dark!

That might be a bit much tape but the front of the ears are folded back nicely from what I can see.

We just did one strip around the bottom and half a strip at the top veeeerrrry loosely.

IMG_20160406_205701.jpg

My girl is 14 wks and I also was having the same problem of her getting the posts out. Thx to some on here that stressed putting the posts in firmer and until bottom (you'll feel it) a dogs ear makes a turn lower down ...don't worry like ur Mother said don't use Q-tips you'll damage ur eardrum. Won't happen with a dogs and my Raven's posts are in 4/5 days and doesn't bother her. Good luck, takes a few tries, first few I was changing every 1/2 days until I got the hang of it, also have her on a table (I put her on my washing machine) much easier for the dog and you....she doesn't squirm. Good luck.

Cuuuuuuute! Her eyes are so dark!

That might be a bit much tape but the front of the ears are folded back nicely from what I can see.

We just did one strip around the bottom and half a strip at the top veeeerrrry loosely.
Wow! Gorgeous pup!

I'm going to do that definitely. The less tape the better I am realizing. I'll adopt your method for the tip and only use half a strip. All the videos I've watched, everyone is using 8" of tape for the base of the ear - I doubt it needs that much if the post is placed well enough, plus I'm sure it will be easier to remove in a few days. I made sure to keep it super loose and wrapped from the front inside of the ear around the back but like I said I had to remove them because she would not stop scratching. I'll post an update in a few days :)

My girl is 14 wks and I also was having the same problem of her getting the posts out. Thx to some on here that stressed putting the posts in firmer and until bottom (you'll feel it) a dogs ear makes a turn lower down ...don't worry like ur Mother said don't use Q-tips you'll damage ur eardrum. Won't happen with a dogs and my Raven's posts are in 4/5 days and doesn't bother her. Good luck, takes a few tries, first few I was changing every 1/2 days until I got the hang of it, also have her on a table (I put her on my washing machine) much easier for the dog and you....she doesn't squirm. Good luck.

Yes - that is one thing everyone I've talked to stressed is to make the post is well placed down in the ear so it does not pop out, I made sure to go all the way down. I'll post an update in a few days, she's going back on posts tomorrow . I'll try to keep her busy throughout the day and play with her so she can forget about them.

It's funny how much she looks like my girl (Euro). One thing I forgot to mention that could have helped my pup from stop trying to get the posts out was that I removed the bridge, if the ears remain at ten-two ur good and they will stand just right when she hears something even with posts in.

It's funny how much she looks like my girl (Euro). One thing I forgot to mention that could have helped my pup from stop trying to get the posts out was that I removed the bridge, if the ears remain at ten-two ur good and they will stand just right when she hears something even with posts in.

That's awesome, I always loved the dark look about her. I like that her rust coloration isn't as bright on the face as the rest of the body.

Apparently I need to bridge them for a couple of weeks, they are not standing in the 10/2 o'clock position yet, she will turn 10 weeks old tomorrow.

I ended up going to the vet, they inspected the ears and everything looked good from the breeder's vet crop, then proceeded to wrap the ears for me.

The vet has a technician who only ear-wraps at the facility and has been doing it for 20+ years and their reviews are fantastic. It kind of helped as well when I walked in and there was like 5-6 other Doberman owners there getting their dog's ears wrapped as well and they had nothing but good things to say. The tape they use is very very porus, not sure what brand it is.

I think I'll just continue to have the vet's office do it, and I'll keep the supplies on hand that I purchased if there is ever an emergency and I need to repost because the posts fall out or she removes them. The only downfall is this specific office is only open three days per week.

Anyway - here are some pics of my reindeer:

image0.jpgimage1.jpg

Here's my Raven look a like...12 wks there. Smart but has a true Dobie personality.

Attachments

• Resized_20210722_165642(1).jpeg
    Resized_20210722_165642(1).jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210722_165635.jpg
    20210722_165635.jpg
    456.4 KB · Views: 10
The vet has a technician who only ear-wraps at the facility and has been doing it for 20+ years and their reviews are fantastic. It kind of helped as well when I walked in and there was like 5-6 other Doberman owners there getting their dog's ears wrapped as well and they had nothing but good things to say.
The biggest problem with them is that they use way too much tape. You really only need one wrap by the base (not as far down as they went) and one at the top. The brace can go right where the lower tape is.

With big tennis ball Aug 25 11 sized.jpg

Back