Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

It was an accident...really

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by BamMoMoMommy, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Lizbeli

Lizbeli Hot Topics Subscriber

Gosh. I can’t imagine the pain you felt breaking your jaw. And to live with it wires shut? Eek. Im certain that if Jasper hit me in the chin I would have broken teeth. But he hit me with his nose, you were hit with his skull (ouch!).

I admit though in those seconds I was so scared I was done. When you literally can’t take a gasp of air, it’s terrifying. He got lots of loving after I calmed down though. The spoiled little poop he is :rofl:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  2. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Oh man, I am sorry, as I am wiping tears of laughter from my eyes. That would have made a great video but I know it had to hurt. But damn it’s a funny vision.
    :spit:

Seriously though, it can be dangerous. I was on my knees pulling weeds and the twins were chasing each other, they ran into my head one at a time. Geez, it was like getting flattened by a car in a cartoon and then just as you get up you get run over again. I feel like Wiley Coyote sometimes when these two get wound up and I am like a blockade that they run right through. With two chasing each other you get tag teamed by them blasting right into your knees then they come back and think it’s a game when you are writhing on the ground moaning in pain and they run over and flop on top of you licking you face.
    I posted a video a while back when we were working on off leash fun and recall training. When they both came running toward me I kept thinking don’t move Bri or they will plow over you. They split at the last second an went around each side of me at a pretty fast clip. I think you could hear my sigh of relief on the video.
    :help:

I think one one the worst concussions I got was from using a twitch on my thoroughbred. The farrier gave it to me to use while he put shoes on my horse. It had a solid hickory handle and my TB (a beautiful Irish Warmblood) was about 17 and a half hands tall. He did a snort throwing his head up and I lost my grip and the handle hit me up side my temple. I crumpled like a sack of potatoes totally out cold. Was lucky it didn’t kill me.
    I refused to ever use a twitch again after that fiasco.
    My TB was a crazy ass horse, very high strung and difficult to handle when he came off the track.
    I always wound up with pensioners but I loved everyone of them and the majority took well to learning trail riding after a lot of work. Many went to school farms for student training. Many I kept because they were just too crazy for an inexperienced rider. They were washouts on the flat track but some became great steeplechase racers. I loved steeplechase racing. The adrenaline gets pumping and it gets intense quick. Making the first jump was always the one that put my stomach in knots, after that it was incredible. Hubs always accused me of being an adrenaline junkie. (Ps, I am not).:whistle:

• Wow x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BamMoMoMommy

BamMoMoMommy $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

Just what little I have read from you here..... in the few days I have been here...I'm siding with your husband on this.:thumbsup2:

And that right there is why I am siding with your husband....the fact you used one..... EVER....kinda... sorta....says.....maybe a little bit...sorta....adrenaline junkie(uhh damn!!). I grew up around livestock/rodeo.....my dad had a hand killed when a horse the guy had a twitch on reared and caught the guy square in the chest with his hooves.

I have had my share of kicks, stomps and head thumps....little did I know.....it was gonna STILL be part of my life after I got away from the farm!! I swear all of the guys we have had over the years can pack the same kind of wallop of a Shetland.

Me and horse tho........UGH! Love the horse power...but was a better faller then I was a rider.:facepalm:I swapped out four hooves for two and four wheels as soon as I could.

The deal with Mo getting that pony tail was hilarious..my gut hurt more from laughing then the spot he yanked the hair from did...and it taught me if I have a scarf in my hair.....to not let either one of the boys get to where they could get a hold of it!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. BamMoMoMommy

I got an email a bit ago from a friend who is still all farm kid....she was telling me about a new horse they have on site that's just now green broke. She said she got tossed twice before she decided she better wait til her husband and brother had the horse gentled down better...and I thought
    "I don't know @Tropicalbri's ......but I kinda sorta do."

Maggie is also a "I am NOT an adrenaline junkie!!!" person;)

Bam just almost tore a cabinet door off with his head.....DH opened the door where the treats are.....and Bam jumped from the bed to the area where DH was standing ( not much room in this 5th wheel..lawdy) the carpet was slick and he didn't lock down very well when he hit the floor..skiddddded..... into the door....DH is now fixing the hinges....and Bam is pouting cuz all that work..and no TREAT!!!:rofl:

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

Takes nerve not to flinch with one coming fast, two would be crazy! The only times Jazz runs into me these days is if I move, but she does cut it fine! :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

So far just a few puppy tattoos but nothing serious. Thanks for the reminder about bending over my pups head, she IS getting bigger and faster! Bri, don't even get me started on horse wrecks, 20 years + on young racehorses, I can't afford one more concussion. Lights out concussions add up, it's scary what it does to your brain!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Tropicalbri's

Totally agree, the doctor warned me to stop steeplechase, jumping or anything other than trail riding, even wanted me to stop roping, barrel racing and cutting. My last fall I took at the Colonial Cup in Camden opened my eyes. I was trampled by several horses and escaped with just a broken ankle. That was my wake up call because that could easily have been my expiration date or crippled for life.
    I still love scuba and skydiving though.:D

• Like Like x 2
    • Wow x 2
  8. BamMoMoMommy

I had to go take a handful of Ibuprofen after reading that. I get the concussion thing totally..but MY GAWD..the shape your back must be in.:shock:

Somewhere out there tween Heaven and hell my dad is saying
    "SEE That's what you coulda been if you had chose the Farm over some slick city dude with a Fu Manchu Mustache and a fast car.

(Dad's tween Heaven and hell cuz we always figured God didn't want him and the Devil was scared of him...and that fast car....was a Hemi Cuda with near 400 horse power...I didn't leave the farm..just found another way to have ponies:thumbsup:!!)

Had I seen any of this pre knowing Bogie broke your jaw....I would have been tempted to think owning Dobes....was a slow down..... in trying to see where your own limits are.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Tropicalbri's

I had to laugh over this because I remember telling my dad that I wanted to be cremated when I died. His head snapped up and he looked at me and said;” Now why in hell would you want to be burned twice?”
    :spit:

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Ivory Skye

Ivory Skye New Member

Our first Dobe Rebel, he ran into my partner who is 6ft 4 and knocked him clean off his feet, I was in hysterics no injuries just hilarity! :tearsofjoy:
    Our second Jet, I was bending to give her a kiss (I know) we connected and I thought my teeth had actually gone through my lip, I put ice on it for about an hour and the swelling continued until my top lip was so swollen and shiny I thought it was going to explode, I went to accident and emergency and she had given me a hematoma, it took two days to go down enough so I could go out in public without anyone thinking I had an inner-tube for a lip.
    Our current girl 10 months old next week, I have lost count now of my fat lips now (you'd think I'd learn), I've had an egg above my eye and one completely black eye now. Lost count of the bruises. And weirdest one yet she ran over the top of my foot (I'm used to that now after the years) however this time it felt really weird and when I looked at my foot, the vein on the top of my foot was like a soft purple turtle shell, really freaky and scary looking I wish I took a photo now, another hematoma. It went down quickly but it's still very tender and freaked me out.
    I too have also been kicked in the face by an old horse I had painting hoof oil and he was kicking a fly away, that stunned me more than anything. Didn't compare to connecting with my dogs solid head.
    We are continuously warning friends that come over, don't stand over the top of her head she's very playful......
    It's part of their unique personalities I think!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Wow x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. BamMoMoMommy

HOLY COW!!!

I'm starting to think we should get some kind of medical alert bracelets that reads:
    "If you find me unconscious, I am not an abused person.....I am a masochist...I own Dobermans!!"

I am forever explaining to family, friends and medical staff..
    "THE DOG DID IT!!!"

When Mo cracked my tooth....I called our dentist asked if I could get in right away....receptionist asked what kind of emergency...I told he what Mo had done...she said
    "GIRL...that dog is going to kill you!!" I'd been in a few weeks before for my yearly exam....with a wicked scratch on my forehead from an over excited "hug" from Mo.

The purple turtle foot thing:shock:.......OUCH! OUCH! OUUUCCCHHH! I haven't had it happen....but both boys do the same thing to my husband's feet.....the tops of his feet always look like someone/thing has backed over his feet.

Maybe part of the info a person gets when they get a doberkid is:
    You must be a masochist to enjoy this pet!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tropicalbri's

Dobermans prefer to walk on your feet any chance they get and the backs of your feet. I have come close to face planting many times going up or down the steps when they step on the back of my flip flops.
    They always give you a look of “What?” when you stop and look at them.

Another piece of advice, get out of their way if they go after some skittering critter in your house.
    I mention once before about my cat catching a rat and brought it in the house ALIVE and let it go. Omg the chaos of 2 Dobermans and a cat destroying my house to catch that damn thing. I finally just jumped on the couch to get out of their way because prey drive was in full force. Took me an hour to clean up everything they broke in the process. :pullhair::rp:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow x 1
  13. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Same here!! Except its the open back of my slippers! I do the same thing, turning around and looking at him like,:wtf: and he's all innocent!

:eek: A rat?? Oh, dear, God! Yeah, I would just stand back and let them have at it to be sure they caught the damn thing!! :sick:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Thinking of all these accidents, these Dobermans are an expensive pleasure!! Not only their cost, but the cost of their damage!! Especially replacing 7 teeth!!! I can't imagine that ordeal. I don't know which is worse, that or the broken foot! No wait, I do know....having my jaw wired and replacing 7 teeth beats all!

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. Tropicalbri's

@MyBuddy my friend Gary Veldhuis that owns Doberman Rescue of Lake Placid got a 2 yr old sweet but rambunctious makes red Doberman that came to the ranch yesterday and he had to go to the emergency room last night after he got plowed into by the rescue. Gary is our age so I know he was hurting bad. He was funny when he said; the boy is a sweet dog but because of his energy level he needs to be placed in an experienced home and some training done preferably with younger owners. Hahaha
    He has 22 Dobermans at the ranch and they all get along. They take turns being in his house. He just placed 5 in homes last week. I love seeing them get homes but he is particular with his applications and interviews for adoptions. His wife does the home visits before they allow the dogs to leave the ranch. I will have to post some pictures. You can see his website online.

• Like Like x 3
  16. BamMoMoMommy

The most aggravating thing about aging....bounce back time....is a lot longer..and walking it off means starting out on knees to crawl to where the ibuprofen is......gettin some swallowed....waiting for it to kick in...before you CAN get upright..... to walk it off.

Hope your friend heals/gets back on his feet quick without a lot of aches and pains left over...and he has plenty of hands around to help out with that four legged toddler count....that's a lot of legs, paws and heads to stay out of the way of.

Bam makes a better mouser ( and lizard wrangler)then any cat we ever had.....never brought one in alive and thank the stars.......never anything rat sized!*shudders*

• Like Like x 1
  17. BamMoMoMommy

Was out working with Bam for a few minutes......and I had an empty plastic bag in my hand that had, had hot dog chunks in it.......gave him the "house" command...and stupidly turned my back on him to head in...he whizzed by me like a rocket sled on a rail...just barely grazed my knee and took the empty bag out of my hand...and ran inside....yeah I was a dingbat for turning my back on him..firdamnshore:rofl:

But it made me think of one time one of ours boys knocked someone down....and it is the only time I thought
    "GOOD BOY!!!" when they did clobber someone.
    We home schooled and once a month we had other parents in for idea swap sessions, curriculum work up. The were four women in the group who were more or less an adult version of a "mean girl posse".

The head biotch of the group.....picked up some ring toss rope rings in the floor and asked if they were dog toys...I told her no....they were kid toys.

She decided it would be funny to play ring toss at our dobe's nose. She threw the first one, it bounced off his (Stonewall) face ...he just got up and moved to another spot.

She was getting ready to throw another one at the dog and I walked over and took that one and the other she was holding out of her hand..and asked her to please leave Stonewall alone. I got eye rolls and snorts of out her and her groupies....we got back to work.

As we were all wrapping up in the driveway...my son brought Stonewall out to the yard.....and Stonewall did the "whiz past thing" by the Queen bee...Bam did to me a bit ago.

Stonewall looped the driveway...went back to my son and plopped down.
    (Nobody will ever convince me dogs can't do logic math and figure out who the bad apples in the crowds are!!!)

He passed her..he didn't touch her...at the knee.... she (over dramatically--hands in air screeching) tipped side ways and took two of her groupies out with her.

Was all I could do to NOT bust a gut.

Thru gritted teeth.....I helped her get up...asked if she was okay....her groupies were fawning over her like the dog had plowed over her like it was a Mac truck. She told me I needed to control my dog..I told her my dog WAS IN CONTROL......that he hadn't touched her.... if he had meant to plow over her/take her out at the knees...........he would have!!!

Stonewall got extra treats THAT NIGHT!!!!:thumbsup:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  18. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

:spit: Priceless!

• Like Like x 1
  19. MelonJ

MelonJ Notable member

Served her right, I’d say. What is it with Homeschool mom groups? I hear about this cliquey behavior all the time. I guess there’s a reason I prefer to work alone lol. As an antisocial homeschool mom, I’d be kicking ppl and their kids out of my house left and right. :bat:

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Ivory Skye

Ivory Skye New Member

I know, I've felt sorry for my partner a couple of times venturing out with bruises or my black eye it looked so dodgy, not to mention when you get the same guy twice at the accident and medical!.... :( The dog did do it!!

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1