Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

It was an accident...really

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by BamMoMoMommy, Jan 17, 2020.

1. BamMoMoMommy

BamMoMoMommy $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

MelonJ's "A Jolly Ol' Time" thread made me think about how often Bam innocently (well I HOPE it's innocently) turns toys into weapons.....made me think we all have to have some good rib tickling stories of being hurt accidentally by our furkids.

I was SO glad when Bam finally chewed the handle OFF the Jolly ball...so he couldn't inadvertently use it as a weapon.

Before the handle was gone.....he ran across the deck coming up behind me while I was sitting on the steps...I started turning around just in time to be smacked right in the nose with the ball. If it had been a cartoon...there would have been birds circling my head with bells ringing.

One afternoon DH was stretched out, flat in a lounge chair with Mo.......Bam wanted him up and playing with him.....grabbed the Jolly ball.....and dropped it right in DH's face...broke his glasses.

There was the time he found a five lb medicine ball....was carrying it around, cuz it was a BALL..so that meant it was HIS!! When I told him to drop it...he did...right on my toes.

Sometimes the bony bodies are the weapon.

One day I was bending down to put Mo's food bowl on the ground....we were learning "wait" before he pounced on the food bowl.....he was not quite getting it.
    He was leaning into the bowl area as I was bending down...he sneezed and his (hard)head upward trajectory after the sneeze.....connected with my chin....and cracked a front tooth!

I have a bruise on my knee and have a bit of a limp. Bam collided head first with my knee...unloading from the Jeep. Didn't phase him a bit....me..I thought he had shattered my knee cap!!!

One of the Dobes DH had as a kid..smacked his dad in the face with a paw doing "High fives".....gave him a black eye that looked like his dad had been pounded by Sugar Ray.

I know we aren't the only ones with stories like this.

Who else has a furkid who can MacGyver a toy into a weapon....or possibly have their sharp angle bodies registered with the FBI as a (accidental) lethal stun style weapon?

• Funny Funny x 13
  2. MelonJ

MelonJ Notable member

Ain’t THAT the truth! I’ve got the bruises and PTSD of near misses to prove it! LOL! I’ve read so many injury stories on here I tell everyone young and old to never get their faces near him or lean over his head ever. It probably feels like hitting a brick wall. :banghead:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I shared my story of leaning over my boy when he was about 6mo old and the end results on this forum. Was not pretty. :eek:

• Like Like x 2
  4. BamMoMoMommy

Ya can't tease and not put out:laughing:.....link please:smile:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MelonJ

MelonJ Notable member

No lie, I was looking down on my phone reading this JUST NOW and DeSoto walks up to me and in a split second gets his big schnoz under my chin and suddenly jerks his head up as he hears my husband come out of the room. Knocked my teeth together. :cus:

• Wow x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  6. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

I've had a black eye from bending to grab a toy Jazz went for at the same time. Not as good as the one @LifeofRubie had though.

The funniest "accident" I saw was when my brother was visiting while I just had my previous dog Freckles. She was getting old and pretty much knew the lot by this stage. Brother was playing tug with her using a flexible rubber Frisbee and was tricking her by letting go at full stretch so she got it in the face and fell backwards. A couple of times in and Freckles let go at the optimum moment and snapped that frisbee full in brothers face! :rofl::rofl::rofl: Well deserved I'd say! :thumbsup2:

Jazz as a puppy was pretty lethal. Caused some spills by tangling feet with me and once when we were climbing down a muddy creek bank she was going too fast and used my bent back as a stepping stone. I didn't realise until well after that there was a perfect front paw print in black mud square between my shoulder blades!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Wow x 1
  7. BamMoMoMommy

OUCH!!

I am truly amazed we haven't lost teeth. Mo has a bad habit the "side smack" when he catches ya on the side of the face with the side of his face....it's like being slapped up side the head with a sledge hammer. He knocked one of DH's crowns loose right after we got him.

Goodness! Once all is said and done and you look around and think
    "WOW...did we just do that and nobody got seriously hurt?"

That foot tangle stuff can be pretty scary. Part of the "puppy phase" that can make a person a bit neurotic. We have a friend who has a Yorkie and I am terrified when we are at her place......I know I am gonna squish her....I can't imagine having a pup that doesn't get big enough to NOT be underfoot small.

Bam's the smallest dobe we have ever had....25.4 to withers ....and he is a tripping hazard cuz he is below the knee...LOL.
    DH calls Bam a speed bump. Mo is liking walking into a brick wall.....there's no tripping over him. Bam is "my boy" and he stays right at my side...and he's made me face plant a few times after we got him. One time tripping over him dumped me right into a co workers lap....thank goodness the guy had a good funny bone!

Right now the boys do potty runs on tethers on spindle that keeps the tethers from tangling.(HA..say THAT five times real fast!!)

They aren't allowed out there alone....... one out and we stay on the porch.....both out .....one of us is on the ground with them..and ya gotta be QUICK..to keep the tethers from catching a foot or ankle. I never was very good at Double Dutch Jump rope....but I'm getting better now days!! That's after only three hard trips cuz one of them caught my foot and turned me into a top, then turned me upside down!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  8. Brioddy

Brioddy Notable member

I recently started working in a dog daycare. I thought my two were nuts, that I had to stay out of their way to avoid being plowed over or hit by a “stick”. Well let me tell you, put 20 dogs in one relatively small area and then you will see chaos. They use their bodies as weapons.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  9. BamMoMoMommy

In my book....there better be a special place in Heaven for folks who work at doggie day care/camp. The crew who works where my guys go....are made of tuff stuff that I ain't got!! One of them always has some body part banged up thanks to an overly rambunctious four legged toddler. Am I recalling right....you got a bite from one of your charges? Right there..I would been saying "Okay...I'm out!"

For real....doggie day care folks..are Saints!!

• Like Like x 2
  10. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Oh, I'll bet! I would be a battered old woman!! :help:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. MyBuddy

I don't think she made a thread on it but it certainly deserves it's own!! Go 'head @Tropicalbri's , tell them! :whistle:

Somewhere on here there is another thread with all the injuries (and pictures!) that some of us have sustained via our active pers!!

12. BamMoMoMommy

Thanks for adding this info!!
    Somehow I missed that in all my poking around!!:facepalm:I'll have to do some more digging.

13. Lizbeli

Lizbeli Hot Topics Subscriber

Gosh you guys have some stories! It feels like minor injuries happen daily with Jasper. He is always following me around its pretty much inevitable.

Seriously though.... DONT lean over them! No matter how cute they are with their little airplane ears and wagging nubz. Dont!

Last week Jasper was sitting down and being so adorable. He was clearly looking for love- those big eyes and a nub going a million miles a minute... I bent over and he was so excited he jumped up at the same time and his muzzle hit me in the throat. I literally felt my windpipe close. He hit me with such force I couldn't even gasp for air. Thankfully after a few seconds I was able to breathe. The area is still sore today. I couldn’t eat that night swallowing felt impossible. I read about throat injuries having the possibility to be deadly for men due to the “adams apple.” Im thankful it was me because hubby was standing right next to me and was probably about to do the same.

I just can’t believe how hard he hit me. Never again! Poor thing was so confused afterwards too. He knew something was wrong.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 2
    • Wow x 1
  14. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

That is always my advice. NEVER EVER stand over a Doberman EVER!

Bogie broke my jaw and I had to have 7 teeth replaced. 6wks with a wired jaw is no fun.

I almost passed out when he jumped up as I leaned over him and the top of his head hit under my chin. I was stunned and couldn’t think or speak. The pain was like someone hit me with a 2x4.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 4
    • Wow x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. MyBuddy

^^^^ And there you have it, folks! I don't think anyone can beat that!!!!! I've been hit in the head by Buddy and my horse, but neither one did so much damage!! :green::green:

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. MelonJ

MelonJ Notable member

I read your old post on this quite a while back and I STILL cringe when I think about it every so often. (Usually when DeSoto injures me in some way LOL)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

How is it that they can hit you with their head hard enough to break bone, yet they don't even seem to have a sore spot out of it? :scratch:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. MelonJ

MelonJ Notable member

With skulls so thick it’s no wonder one has to repeat something a million times for it to stick LOL!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Mystic

Mystic Notable member

I will definitely have to agree with Bri on never standing over a dobie’s head. Been there while I played with Kodak. He leaped up just has I was bent over and we connected. My son could hear the crack from another room. I will never forget the pain of him cracking my jaw. It was horrible.

• Wow x 2
    • Empathetic Empathetic x 2
  20. BamMoMoMommy

WOW....broken jaw/wired jaw and missing teeth....WOW....and then see another cracked jaw. Makes me want to put blinking warning lights on Mo's and Bam's heads!! (And go take a handful of Ibuprofen......dang!!!!)
    @Tropicalbri's ..I HOPE someone was in the house with you.....my lord.

I swear their heads could be used as a battering ram.

@Lizbeli .....heed what's here..but even heeding what is here....you will have your own stories to add to the one you have here..hopefully none as scary as the one you shared or the broken/cracked jaws!!

We have been really lucky.....our injuries ....have been overall....painful and left some achy spots...but nothing we couldn't walk off.

Mo yanked a good chuck of my hair out one night. He was sprawled out on the sofa...I was on the floor leaned up against it working with Bam on sit/down/back to sit and was being very animated with praise as I was doing it...I had my hair up in a pony tail with a scarf tie and the ends of the scarf were just too much temptation for Mo...flopping around.

He grabbed the scarf but he also got my pony tail...I screeched..it spooked him...he jumped off the sofa...but still had my pony tail and the scarf in his mouth...me screeching and Mo hopping up...got Bam all excited...he thought it was a game..... and jumped into me as I was trying to get Mo to let go of the scarf/hair....And good ol DH was laughing so hard...he was of no use. *eye roll*

That's the worst part...is them looking like they got in trouble....and trying to figure out why we are reacting the way we are....and no way to explain it to them.....makes my heart hurt for them.

• Agree Agree x 3