How to Post Cropped Ears (Video)

How long do you keep the ears posted until you remove, and redo them? Also how long do you let the ears rest between posting?

My puppy had his ears cropped, and our vet is over an hour away, and I am not happy with them :( They put soo much tape on my poor puppy he got an infection and has lost most of the hair on his ears. I am going to start doing it myself and this video makes it look like I can do it :)

I watched this video and learned that this is by far the most easiest way to tape. I was a first time taper when I tried this, and now my Doberman's ears stand very nicely!! :)

Attachments

• 30 weeks.JPG
    30 weeks.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 25
I watched this video and learned that this is by far the most easiest way to tape. I was a first time taper when I tried this, and now my Doberman's ears stand very nicely!! :)

That's very great! I'm going to buy all the supplies tonight so I can start :) your puppy looks great! Very encouraging. :)

I did it! Followed the video exactly and here's the result! I think I did a good job and it was pretty easy. And he got a treat for being so good :) thank you thank you!image.jpg

I did it! Followed the video exactly and here's the result! I think I did a good job and it was pretty easy. And he got a treat for being so good
You did a great job!!! :thumbsup:

I got it! She won't hold still so it takes two of us. That fold on the uncut side of the ear goes back, right?

I got it! She won't hold still so it takes two of us. That fold on the uncut side of the ear goes back, right?
You "preserve" the fold. So when you go to tape, the part that is already folded back on itself should be taped in that folded position. I hope that makes sense.

I'm having a problem. The bottom part without duct tape that goes into the ear canal keeps breaking off. Suggestions? Should I use tampons instead? She won't leave them alone. Rubs her head on stuff & scratches. I've looked & her ears look fine. No sores or anything.

I'm having a problem. The bottom part without duct tape that goes into the ear canal keeps breaking off.
Wow, I've never heard of that happening before because the backer rod is nice and flexible. How far down are you putting the duct tape? I only leave about 3/8" exposed without the duct tape and it's never been a problem.

Wow, I've never heard of that happening before because the backer rod is nice and flexible. How far down are you putting the duct tape? I only leave about 3/8" exposed without the duct tape and it's never been a problem.
Ok, maybe I left too much out. It broke right where the tape ended.

Question, why is important to tape the fold back? What will happen if it's taped down?
The fold is natural in the ear and if it get's taped flat it will affect the way it stands and make the appearance unnatural. I hope that made sense. ;)

The fold is natural in the ear and if it get's taped flat it will affect the way it stands and make the appearance unnatural. I hope that made sense. ;)
Thanks. Your video is REALLY great and as I've been tapping, I've been really working against that fold, so today I will repost and do just like you have shown. When I watched the vet tech Post, I really recall her tapping it down so that's why I was doing it that way. Luckily, my pups ears are standing, but I will definitely be easier to tape now with your video!! Thanks a bunch!!!!

When I watched the vet tech Post, I really recall her tapping it down so that's why I was doing it that way.
Yes, unfortunately vet techs and vets do not specialize in taping and sometimes give terrible advice so we always recommend that people do them themselves. There are a few here and there who do a good job, but it isn't the case with the majority of them.

Finally had the chance to make this. Hope it is helpful to those new to posting ears. Feedback is appreciated.

This is the best video I have seen. Thank you so much. My Axel is only 11 wks and not happy with the Vet so far.
[DOUBLEPOST=1452534029,1452533908][/DOUBLEPOST]
Finally had the chance to make this. Hope it is helpful to those new to posting ears. Feedback is appreciated.

I am having a hard time to understand which way to tape the fold. It looks like you are taping it back toward the rear of the dog??

This is the best video I have seen. Thank you so much. My Axel is only 11 wks and not happy with the Vet so far.
[DOUBLEPOST=1452534029,1452533908][/DOUBLEPOST]
I am having a hard time to understand which way to tape the fold. It looks like you are taping it back toward the rear of the dog??
Yep you always go back toward the head so you have the natural fold laying correctly :)

Back